Author Topic: Chicken and Veggies on my GG's  (Read 859 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Chicken and Veggies on my GG's
« Reply #-1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:58 AM »
July 25, 2013

We are having some great cooler weather here in Ohio. After about 10 days of 90 deg. days I was getting behind in my yard work. Last night I told the wife I was working the next day in the yard and we would eat carry ins. She had her water aerobics in the afternoon.

Then I spotted a yellow squash and a zucchini on the countertop that needed used so I got a vacuum pack of Kah Meats sun dried tomato and garlic chicken breasts out to thaw. I had a couple of small yellow potatoes to use and that would be a quick supper for us.

I did it all on my Grill Grates, one up and one down. I did the chicken breasts and potatoes on the bottom side and the sliced squash on the top side. I preheated the Traeger to 300 deg. and did the chicken just over 30 minutes to get to temp. I nuked the potatoes first and cut in half and put them and the squash on the last 20 minutes.

It tasted great for a quick and easy meal. I didn’t get the grill marks good on the squash but it tasted good.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Chicken and Veggies on my GG's
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »
Looks good to me! Nice dinner. I used my GGs on the G2G Ice tonight for some brats - a few cherry chips in the trough for flavor - wonderful. Your pictures are perfect, thanks for sharing them!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:19:37 AM »
Good post Don. Dinner looks fantastic.
Thanks for the GG details too. It's making purchasing them a much easier decision now.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
That is a nice and easy summer meal right there.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
Good post Don. Dinner looks fantastic.
Thanks for the GG details too. It's making purchasing them a much easier decision now.
I really like them Sam, & wish I had bought them sooner. I was too low on my temps for the veggies here I think. I am trying rib eyes on them tonight so we'll see. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
Good looking healthy meal Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Chicken and Veggies on my GG's
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »
:P

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
I do veggies on the GG's all the time -- squash, onions, tomatoes, zuchinni, even sliced potatoes and eggplant.

FAST, easy recipe:

Slice veggies about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick (too thick and they'll still be raw in middle when done/gorgeous outside)

Place slices in 1 gallon plastic food storage bag with generous 1/2 cup EVOO and several good sized dashes of McCormick Italian Seasoning plus several grinds of black pepper

Shake it all around to coat the slices with the oil and spices -- rest, unrefrigerated, for one hour

Use long tongs to place each slice on GG's "flat" and not in the grooves.  Turn to cook other side as the first side finishes.  At steak grilling temps, they'll cook pretty quickly and you'll get gorgeous grill marks plus some fantastic grilled flavor from the oil sizzling. 

Hint:  I've tried the pronged GG spatula and it works okay for really big slices, but for smaller things like sliced squash, zuchinni, etc. I get better results with tongs, especially since the different breeds of veggie cook at different rates.  My favorites are grilled yellow summer squash and grilled purple onions  ;D

WARNING:  Government agencies have determined that consumption of cooked vegetables contributes to a healthy lifestyle high in vitamins, minerals and fiber.  Overconsumption and/or consumption of only vegetable matter to the exclusion of real food may lead to eternal life but be incredibly boring resulting in suicidal tendencies and an urge to promote such unbalanced food consumption patterns on innocent bystanders, especially those chewing on bacon.  Potential consumers are advised against becoming intense, overbearing, boorish, insufferable vegetarians or (worse) vegans.  Vegetable overdependence assistance and advice concerning antidotes in the event of over-dose is available at 1-800-EAT-MEAT.  Please slaughter vegetables humanely and, when possible, obtain them from sources using reputable, ethical growing practices which allow the plants to range freely and grow free of political correctness in the field or hydroponic pond.  Potential consumers are alterted that the word "Organic" on vegetable packaging doesn't mean diddly and my refer to anything not made of polystyrene or that is played on a church choir accompaning instrument.  The additional price of "Organic" labeled produce may or may not increase the feeling of well-being in the consumer and claims of ecological superiority over common consumers are even more boorish and incomprehensible than veganism.  This warning label is required by no known regulation or governmental agency but will be the minute is is usurped by some congressman out to get his or her name on a law that everybody ignores.     
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN