Author Topic: Not New But Been Away...  (Read 963 times)

Offline firezilla

• It's really me, firefly!
    • Possets Perfume
Not New But Been Away...
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
Hello all! I have been away working. I own my own business and have made comments on grilling part of the scene for my company. though I make things which are not edible, people love to read about what you can do on a grill for delicious meals. I specialize in low calorie (please don't say "ick"), vegetable heavy, heavy on the rubs sorts of cooking. It's been a great time so far this summer, lots of tantalizing meals have appeared before the family  and quite a few folks who are devoted to "meat candy" loaded with fat are now TENTATIVELY trying out leaner cuts with more rub and less  sugary sauce.

I love sugary sauce, too BUT if I don't use it as a treat and not a staple not only do I gain weight but I lose the fun of a great barbque sauce; it stops being special and starts being commonplace, and that is a bad thing to do.  :o

I have made my own rubs and experimented with a number of them over the past year (when I got into grilling). I have a Gordon's Food Service just down the street from me and found that their East Trading Road rub is the same as Weber's Classic BBQ rub which disappeared from my local Sam's Club last year! Also,there are some really good other rubs which are wonderful to try out, too. I also experiment with Eastern rubs (Bahrat for instance, and more) and an addition I call Retro Rocket which I made myself (yes it is a wicked combo of salts and sugars but I use just enough to keep the Eastern rubs from being insipid...and if you don't overdo it, you are fine).

Yea and there is a happy riot we had when I cooked cauliflower on the grill....they all said they would hate it and I didn't have enough!

What kind of a grill do I have? A 2 burner CharBroil Commercial I bought from Lowe's last Independence Day, it's a Tru Infrared and it is the BERRIES. Cooks beautifully and I can't imagine that anybody else's grill could do better than this little gem. I keep it clean and covered and it has helped me maintain my girlish figure! Also,my internist loves the way it cooks will fewer fats and encourages me to eat better things. I hope that I can learn a lot from all of you and share what I know. I am in Cincinnati Ohio and (yes) we have a lot of access to great sausages! Not a challenge but the challenge is to pick which kind to cook.  ;) Yea, and beer...we brew beer here, too! Imagine that.
Oh my, I just had the BEST grilled _______! Wow.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Not New But Been Away...
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
Welcome back.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
Good to see you back!

You know...you are up the road form Pam Gould.....And she will be coming to the Fall Gathering in Augusta GA...You and the family are welcome down here too! ;D

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Hi Fire..good to see you again..I'm 2 hours up the road in Lima. Glad ya made it back.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Good to "see" you again, Firefly! I have my own business and know well how much that can pull a person away. I'd really like to hear more about your rubs - especially for vegetables. I really like doing veg on the grill, but could use some inspiration!

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
Welcome back!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline firezilla

• It's really me, firefly!
    • Possets Perfume
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
Wow, thanks! I am not sure about the trip to GA. I would love love love to do that but I have a hard enough time getting away for just about anything anymore. Have a lot going on in my business and have to tend to that. Alas, I am not much of a social butterfly. I am so glad to be reminded about you, Pam! And Muebe...thanks for the perfect tip about cleaning my pan through FIRE! Worked great. Wouldn't you know, I walked into the hardware store two days ago and found a Brinkman grill topper which is perfect because it has larger holes but yet fits on my small grill. Nirvana! I don't mind cleaning with fire but I hate to "waste" a lot of gas if I can avoid it. It ain't free!

Next up: putting chips in the mix to give that smoke flavor to my dinners.

Life is good. Fire makes life good!  :D
Oh my, I just had the BEST grilled _______! Wow.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
Welcome back. We missed you.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Good to have ya here!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
Welcome back!  Please give some suggestions for lower calorie approaches and resipes.  I have several I like and would like to add some more. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
I remember you...

Welcome back!

I am always open AND interested in new ideas for the grill.  I have the CharBroil 4 burner infrared, so I'm guessing you can give me some pointers on cookin' thereon.  Also interested in your ideas for rubs.

Lookin' forward to hearing from you.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Not New But Been Away...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Welcome back, I too remember you from when I first joined.
I myself am tied up with school for the new job and don't get on here as often as I did.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Prestige Worldwide

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
Welcome back Firezilla.  I enjoy grilling vegetables on the grill, but I never strayed far from corn and squash so I look forward to hearing your advice on new vegetables to try out on the grill.