Author Topic: English Yellow Laboradors  (Read 612 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
English Yellow Laboradors
« Reply #-1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »
This is not about BBQ even though the dog that I took care of loved it.  I want to buy an English Yellow Lab and find out that they are very expensive.  Does anyone know where I can buy a puppy if possible for a reasonable price?  Here is a picture of the boy that I sometimes took care of.  They have wonderful disposition.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MJSBBQ

Re: English Yellow Laboradors
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
I am a big believer in adopting and not shopping!

Check out your local area and I bet you can find a Labrador rescue society or group. I know you can find a yellow lab there that would be forever grateful to you for giving it a second chance. That is the only way to go!!

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »
I am a big believer in adopting and not shopping!

Check out your local area and I bet you can find a Labrador rescue society or group. I know you can find a yellow lab there that would be forever grateful to you for giving it a second chance. That is the only way to go!!

These are good comments.

For one year, I was a "Foster" parent to a Golden Retriever rescue dog who psychologically was in bad shape and also had some physical issues from abuse. He was one year old and basically a nice dog. What he required, in addition to some medical care, was a lot of patience. He was petrified to ride in a vehicle and would not go in my truck. So for three weeks, he would follow me to the garage, I would open up the passenger door and the extended cab door and go sit in the truck by myself for an hour listening to music. He would sit facing the open doors on the passenger side. After 3 weeks, he jumped into the back seat of the truck. For 2 more weeks, we would sit in the truck together listening to music for about a half hour. Then, one day, after he jumped into the truck, I closed both of the doors on the passenger side and got back into the truck. I pushed the button to raise the garage door, started the engine, and backed out of the garage. I drove the vehicle around the block and back into the garage. I opened the two doors on the passenger side and let him out. We did this for one week. Then we were off for a big adventure to the local park. All we had to do is open the doors and he would jump in and I drove him to the park. Then we began more training. So you can receive rewards from a rescue pup. By the way his name is Oliver and he lives in Connecticut with a gentleman who had recently lost his wife of many years and provides wonderful companionship.

I admit that it is much easier to train a puppy. We acquired Dixie from a breeder at 8 weeks. I had the opportunity to select her from the litter of six females. The males were already taken, but I wanted a female anyways. I sat in the middle of a fenced circle while all the puppies were around me. Only one puppy came to me and wanted to be with me while the others ran around and played. That's how I chose Dixie. That's how I chose all the pups that I brought home in the past. There is always one that stands out that is meant for you.

Labs are great dogs and good family members. Take your time and find a local breeder or contact the Labrador Rescue Society in your State for information. Sometimes, they have a website that shows the pictures of the dogs up for adoption with a little bio for each dog. You can also wait to see if a puppy comes along. Older dogs, are good adoption candidates as well. Sometimes, their owners pass away and they have no one to take care of them. Think about that as well. They are good dogs.

Best of luck,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I am torn between a rescue dog, the pound, or getting a puppy to train from scratch.  I just have to be patient and keep looking.  I know there a lot of dogs that need help.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
Find a laborador rescue in your town that's a good way to find a great dog.

Here there are rescues for just about any dog out there
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
That is ALL good advice. We got our late dog Gizmo from a shelter. He was eight weeks old when we got him. He was a golden retreiver. The #$$ hole owner of his mother had put a collar on her when she was young, when rescued from that poor excuse of a human, her neck/throat had grown around the collar, which was strangling her, while she was pregnant. The shelter kept her on life support until they were able to deliver her litter. Gizmo came running to us, just like veryolddog, and he never left sight of us the rest of his life. We were blessed and we think he was blessed as well. That is what happens when you save a dog's life, they know. He was by far the best dog we have ever had.
Good luck with your search.

Oh, try this site... www.petfinder.com  you can search for specific breeds.