Author Topic: A little this, a little that...  (Read 2162 times)

PoppyBill

Re: A little this, a little that...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
Good looking mix of meats!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
YUM! I love the man-food (especially the burnt ends).

Here's a step a lot of folks skip, but it helps tremendously with preventing the cheese from sweating. I always let cheese sit on wire racks in a cool room for a couple hours to dry and form a thin rind BEFORE I smoke it. A fan blowing gently across it helps.

Hope this helps.

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
Turtle, that is a great cook. Love those burnt ends you taught me how to do at the Gathering. You do eat well when the cat is away.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
What was your smoke time with A-Maze-N?
I got three hours of smoke from one (8") length of the maze but only got about two hours in the 12" tube last week (using more pellets but on the grill of the RED with one burner set very low). I think the variables include altitude (I'm pretty close to sea level), wind (not much for this cook), ambient temperature (and it's always temperate here), the presence of another heat source (duh) and the difference among various brands of pellets. I just guess and over fill - I can always stop the burn and reuse the unburned pellets (at least I can in the maze).

I like the ice bath idea. I wonder if the temperature difference makes any difference in the amount of smoke flavor to the meat or cheese?
I'm purely guessing here but I think the key may be moisture rather than temp.  If there's condensation I'd think you get less smoke adherence than on a dry surface.  That's probably why some of the brethren and sistren use a closed container of cold stuff rather than an open pan of water and ice.

Send recipe for burnt ends please.
Uh, there is no recipe.  If there was one, it would read sorta like "Save the point after you smoke a packer, cut it into cubes (finger food size), add more rub, resmoke, mix in some BBQ sauce and cook/smoke till done." I didn't add more rub and resmoke before adding sauce in the pan we made at the gathering but if you're not in a hurry it's the best way to go.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
Looks great and some good beer and friends can only make it better!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi