Author Topic: Dutch oven chili  (Read 1628 times)

Offline pz

Dutch oven chili
« Reply #-1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:24:59 AM »
It is rapidly becoming cold in northern Idaho, and the day was filled with winterizing chores.  Pulled a couple of New York strip steaks from the freezer to make cold weather comfort food

The dried chiles - de-stemmed, seeds removed, and toasted on hot cast iron to bloom the flavors.  All are mild to medium except the jalapeno.  The blend of chiles brings many layers of flavors to the table

2 cups of chicken stock plus the torn toasted peppers, blended smooth - this serves as the chili base

The fresh ingredients - left to right - pasilla, Serrano, and jalapeno - not pictured is garlic and tomato

Fresh ingredients finely diced and sweating

Steak was cubed and then browned on all sides - done in batches to keep from crowding the pan - chile base, meat, and beans were added to the pot, then seasoned with paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper

De-glazing the brown bits with one bottle - then added to the pot, which was placed in a 350F oven for an hour and 45 minutes

This bowl is topped with Bradley smoked cheddar

We were delighted with the depth of flavor, but disappointed with the beans - not their presence, but that they were not tender.  The meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender and all other aspects of the chili were quite good.  The next time I'm not going to listen to my missus (who wanted me to use the oven), and will be cooking in the pressure cooker  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:26:53 AM by pz »

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Dutch oven chili
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
That sure sounds good. Sorry about the beans - I like them in my "chili" too. Did you use canned beans or "raw"? I really like the peppers and spices you've used. Sounds like this would be an excellent dish.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »
Thanks David - I always use dried beans whenever practical (especially for more interesting dishes), and until now, have done them in the pressure cooker which always does them perfectly.  I should have gone with my "gut", but my wife wanted me to try this method as a change.  She now regrets not letting me do it my way  ;D

However, she did really like the flavor, as did I

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:34:27 AM »
You had all the right ingredients. I prefer dry beans for chili and I have never been able to get the beans right unless I soak them overnight. I tried different faster methods but they never get as tender as I want. I like to use pinto beans. I do mine in a large pot on the stove. After all is in the pot and to a boil I turn down to low and let just simmer for 3 hours when I can. Some chef I must have thought well of, can't remember who, said you have to cook chili at least 3 hours for all the flavors to meld right. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:09:19 AM »
pz - Excellent process - the only way to make chili (except, of course, for the beans).

OBTW, thanks to all of you who posted above me for making such great arguments for cooking beans separately and serving them alongside the chili.  You know... the way it's supposed to be.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Tasty looking chili pz! Will have to try this way the next time I do chili!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
Toss that on top of spaghetti noodles, and we're in business.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
It's not as "wintery" here as in Idaho, but you have me thinking about breaking out some elk meat to make my version of chili.  I like what you did with yours.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
That is a real good looking chili.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Dutch oven chili
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
Overnight soak for me too. Chili looks just killer
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
Very nicely done!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
pz the chili looks great!

I would not be upset at all that the beans did not turn out right. That is just a sign that the chili gods are telling you they don't belong in there ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
pz - Excellent process - the only way to make chili (except, of course, for the beans).

OBTW, thanks to all of you who posted above me for making such great arguments for cooking beans separately and serving them alongside the chili.  You know... the way it's supposed to be.

I think we understand your avatar even more....Is a turtle's head as hard as his shell too? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
That is some awesome looking chili!  And for me, chili always has beans unless it's on a hot dog!  :)
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments!  I knew the "beans" opinions would rise again  ;D

I would not be upset at all that the beans did not turn out right. That is just a sign that the chili gods are telling you they don't belong in there ;)

lol muebe, you might just have a point there - whenever I follow general stove top beans recipes, they are always on the firm side.  However, every time I use the pressure cooker, they take an hour and are butter tender

Although I've always been a fan of beans in my chili, today was an exception - we used the leftovers to make street tacos - would have been nice to have the meat and beans separate