Author Topic: My Thanksgiving Day Turkey Cook  (Read 3417 times)

Offline mr breeze

My Thanksgiving Day Turkey Cook
« Reply #-1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Okay, this was my first turkey cook using The Big Easy.  There is little story to be told about this cook and what I learned with this, just my second try with the TBE.

Before I get started I just need to say that I do know/understand that two actions I took with this cook, the community in general, the manufacture and common sense say one should never do.  So, with this post I am not advocating or suggesting anyone ever use the TBE in the same manner.  I am just giving my observations and account of how this “particular” cook went for me.  Please take it easy on me, I know it is generally understood that one should always grill out-doors in the open air.

I live pretty close to the pacific coast, real close, and my area can sometimes become a little windy when a pacific storm is approaching.  Yesterday when it was time to start the cook, it was little too windy and I know that wind can affect the TBE.  So I moved the TBE just inside my garage back door – I know...

But my garage is very well ventilated with the back access door open and the front garage door just opened a little.  So I broke the first rule and moved the TBE in, just a little, but out of the wind.  The way I did it, it was safe, very safe, but no one else should ever do this, okay...

What I discovered, in just the first 60 minutes in, was little bit of a shocker.  I was stunned as to how much faster the TBE cooked when “completely” protected from any wind whatsoever.

At the 60 minute mark I was already at 100 degrees in the thigh (this was a 15 pound bird) and I had more than enough color, the lid was on up to this point.  At the 1:15 minute mark I was at 125 degrees – now with the lip off.

Doing some quick math in my head, it was painfully clear that my turkey was going to be done an hour and a half sooner then what I had planned on, and more importantly, what I told everyone else...  I don’t know about you guys, but I would rather go into the lion cage without a whip and chair then to tell the women involved that Thanksgiving Dinner needs to begin at 2:00 not 3:30 as planned.  I just don’t have that much courage, lol.

So, now I am about to break rule number 2.  At one hour and fifteen minutes in and the turkey at 125 degrees already, I needed to slow things down.  Because I was so wind protected I thought it may now be possible to lower the gas flow a little using the TBE gas control knob – so I backed it off by 1/3.  That worked no problem.

Now, at the 1:40 minute mark, I was already at 140 degrees.  Still cooking way too fast, so I cut back the gas once again to now just half the normal of full open.  By the way, because of the complete absence of any wind, the flame held true and did not show any sign of flickering whatsoever.

At the two hour mark, now with gas flow reduced by half, I was at 165 degrees.

So, in so many words, what I learned that with the TBE in a space, void of any wind, that bad boy roars like an F16 engine.

This was a big education for me.  Remember, this was just my second cook with the Big Easy and this time it was a lot faster than the first…

Please remember, that in no way, do I suggest anyone ever operate their TBE in any other space other than outside, and no one ever, ever should.  For me, in the specific place I put it and because of specific weather conditions, well, I did it.  Where I was setup, (you would need to see it) there was really no danger – but I have a somewhat unique garage where I have this back access door and well there is just a lot of ventilation.

The turkey was not as burnt as these pictures make it look.  It was actually a almost perfect cook.  It would have been better if I did not have to slow the cook down so much.  Everyone loved it, it was very moist.

This was about 50 minutes in - the timer is a countdown timer.

At this point I had to go into the kitchen as I was freaking out...

-Nick

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: My Thanksgiving Day Turkey Cook
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the read and the pic of a darn good looking Turkey.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
That turkey looks really good!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline mr breeze

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Thanks guys...     8)
-Nick

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
Beautiful turkey Nick! Nice job! Hope you had a great day.

Offline Pappymn

My Thanksgiving Day Turkey Cook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
Great results! Awesome color
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 05:17:32 PM »
Beautiful turkey - excellent cook. Thanks for sharing!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Looks awesome Breeze!
With rubs that contain ANY sugars… they will cause the skin to look burned where the temps get above 350F, and there is much accumulation of the rub. Do a comparative look at where the rub was a little heavier on the bird, vs thinner application. You will notice the rub carbonized/blackening. Not a problem - it looks like it was roasted offer an open fire.
And - that is a good thing! ;D

Your cautions about cooking  inside a structure ( whether it be a garage or any building) should be noted by all. But - we are adults, and must make judgement calls each and every day. We each must observe the exact conditions that we are cooking in. Situational awareness is key to survival - right? ;D
The bottom line is BE SAFE…. ;)

Great looking bird - I will bet it was juicy and tender too!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
The infrared energy will carbonize the sugars in the rub. This is normal so it is best to use a rub that is low on sugar.

That finished bird looks beautiful Breeze ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mr breeze

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
Thanks for all the nice replies guys...

-the breeze
-Nick

Offline mr breeze

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
Looks awesome Breeze!
With rubs that contain ANY sugars… they will cause the skin to look burned where the temps get above 350F, and there is much accumulation of the rub. Do a comparative look at where the rub was a little heavier on the bird, vs thinner application. You will notice the rub carbonized/blackening. Not a problem - it looks like it was roasted offer an open fire.
And - that is a good thing! ;D

Your cautions about cooking  inside a structure ( whether it be a garage or any building) should be noted by all. But - we are adults, and must make judgement calls each and every day. We each must observe the exact conditions that we are cooking in. Situational awareness is key to survival - right? ;D
The bottom line is BE SAFE…. ;)

Great looking bird - I will bet it was juicy and tender too!

Thanks Tee for your kind words and also the "rub tips" too.

Yes, the color did look okay to me too.  I like the char look and it really was not burnt there too like you said.  It actually was delicious, the flesh was not really burnt.  It was still very juicy and all loved it.  I have made many over the years and this guy was in the top three or four overall.

Thanks everyone for all the education I received here.  I could have never done it this well without all of your experience shared here..

-the breeze
-Nick

Offline mr breeze

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Now where is that Tommy character... :D
-Nick

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
Nick, your handle reminds me of this old Skynard jam....

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mr breeze

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Nick, your handle reminds me of this old Skynard jam....

That is so sweet!  I seen those guys perform that song like 6 times in three different states "back in the day" - Tennessee, Florida and Georgia.  I use to love those guy's.

That is where my handle came from.  I got that (me breeze handle) from my old girlfriend, (who later became my wife 30 years later) back in 1973.  She still cringes when she hears that song...   8)

But I still like your handle better.  That is a good one!
-Nick

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
Thanks, now if there was just a cool southern rock song that mentions Smokeasaurus  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven