Author Topic: Square Foot Gardening  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Square Foot Gardening
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
Lynn..very nice..I have the same things growing..how high are your beds? Mine are only 2 landscape timbers deep.   Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥

The first beds I did were only made with 2X10 lumber but when they had to be replaced I decided it would be so nice to have the beds pretty much at working level so these were made with a combination of 2X10 and 2X12. The low beds are about 20 inches high and the centre two are 25 inches high. Sounds like you have lots of herbs to use in your cooking:) Do you dry them for storage and if so do you use a dehydrator?
I love to garden :D
I dehydrate some, share a bunch because the more you pick them..the more they grow. I also freeze them with water in ice cube trays and then put them in Ziploc bags and take out just what I need. I have herbs at home and the campground, because I always forget to bring some somewhere. pre-altzimers. LOL  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
My little set up  :)

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Nice garden Lynne.  Here's my raised beds ...

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
This board is a great idea.

An excellent resource for home gardening using the "raised" beds method is by Peter Chan. His method is preferred in wood-scarce Asia and is simple enough: mound the soil without the use of boxes. I practiced this method for years whilst living in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and with good success. It is also easier to plant cover crops and turn the soil in between crops.  In this often damp growing zone borders of wood harbor slugs and snails, so dispensing with it helped reduce that problem. I also used raised beds made of wood but primarily to grow flowers...as the wood was pressure treated and not recommended for use in situations where plants might absorb some of the chemicals used in treating the wood that leach into the soil.   8)

Many years ago I used the raised mound method very successfully. Some of my best tomato crops and other veg came from those "humps of dirt". I don't remember who I read back then (70's) but I do remember reading about that method. Now I use untreated wood to corral my dirt, but the concept is the same - a lot of good earth piled up to make a bed for the garden. Snow is finally gone and it's getting close to planting time!

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Do you have a photo or a link to the raised mound method?

Thanks
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Lynne S

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
Smoker Pete and AAB seeing those green beds of yours is making me very envious :) Mine are still brown and I won't be planting until next if the weather permits. I have peas and spinach in but that's it. Even next week will be too soon for the tender things :(

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
Smoker Pete and AAB seeing those green beds of yours is making me very envious :) Mine are still brown and I won't be planting until next if the weather permits. I have peas and spinach in but that's it. Even next week will be too soon for the tender things :(

Living in California does has some advantages Lynne ... I won't go into all the disadvantages!!  :(  >:( ...

It's going to be 88ºF today  8)  8)
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
I live in Zone 9
our problem is bugs and weeds ;)

I'm in zone 9b Captain ... bugs and weeds are always a problem  :(
Char Broil SRG

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Do you have a photo or a link to the raised mound method?
Thanks

Looking for more information....http://www.amazon.com/Better-Vegetable-Gardens-Chinese-Way/dp/0882663887

found this blog post and it looks like the gardens we toured and I set up too...essentially it's the practice many farmers use for intense farming in open fields.  Strawberry and tomato farmers in So. Cal for example.  rows or sections of mounded dirt rather than raised beds holding in the dirt.  all depends upon your back and the room you have - I s'pose

http://backyardnotes.wordpress.com/category/west-seattle-garden/page/2/

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:16:29 PM by Barry CB Martin »