Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63979 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
Week 23....Tomatoes plugging along.Wanted more blossoms but hearing its just been a poor tomato year here,so Im OK I guess.Only 2 tomatillos,one plant died and needs two to pollinate,bummer.Beans growing well but wrong time of year for them.Must have 6 different peppers and all doing great,as are the bell peppers now making full sized fruits.Basil is tremendous.Put in a couple tomato cuttings,so far so good.Fish growing like gang busters.

A couple heirloom purples and a tomatillo

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
Week 25,a couple random shots and lots and lots of peppers.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
Looking good - you've got a real pepper factory going there! I love the purple heirloom tomatoes.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »
Looking great, how are the fish doing? Do they get bigger?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:42 AM »
yes doc,the purples rock. Yes drew,they are really growing fast,Im feeding them pellets now,even the goldfish can get the pellets down,I will get some pics.On the peppers know next year will concentrate on Bells,the sweet sweet Jimmy nardellos are long skinny one,more of those,and those cherry ones you get in the jars,those are real expensive,we could can those

Offline spuds

« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
Been concentrating on seed saving and see what grows.Hope I can germinate these pepper seeds next year.Will still do some hots but will concentrate on the milds...love pickled peppers and they arent cheap,and so easy to do from what Im reading.Nice little haul today.As Ive said before Im no expert on gardening,heard to keep picking peppers if you want more,and remove early flowers to make plants larger,so as always,Im LEARNING constantly,much fun though,what a nice hobby.

Nice little pepper haul...

So bought seeds for greek peppers to make peppericinos,cherry reds for small pickled peppers to go along with the Jimmy Nardellos and Shashitos that are also mild for pickling....next year.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:00:17 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:38:58 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
Latest issue....we imported slugs,YUCK.Add in our homegrown earwigs.So a new issue.BUT....have a new next door neighbor who of all things like FROGS....who you guessed it,eat both,how cool is that??!! Plus,we have flies,or as my bud Pharmer Phil calls em,fries,because inside greenhouses get hot.
So he is installing a pond,and frogs are what he is making it for.So soon will have froggies hopping around inside,is that toooo major provident or what?Did I hit the jackpot with Matthew the new neighbor,sure did!  ;D

Offline spuds

« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »
The latest...had an ammonia problem,my fault,in tank 3/4.It is only supported by bed 4.I pulled a lot of plants and figured,may as well flush bed to add more water.What I did was flush ammonia into tank.Mrs went out at night and a KOI was trying to jump out.YIKES!

So I upped the pump cycles double to run thru night,and planted a bunch of plants that night immediately into bed 4.Took care of problem.Also stopped feeding them so they dont add more ammonia.All is well now,close call,good thing Mrs saw fish freaking out in the darkness.

Biggest news is how the tomatoes are growing,and beans and especially tomatillos.

Toms are now 6-7 feet tall and almost all the way to the ridgepole.LOTS of flowers,but mighty late into season.Met another person up here who told me their tomatoes failed,so doing good all considered,just VERY late.
So may blooms,looks like green tomatoes this year.

Next pic is from stepladder,gives a perspective on the height of those toms

Tomatillos did great,just one plant with tons of blooms but needs 2 plants to fruit.Beans also good,seed saving to really do more next year,the 2 are happy together

Also almost to the ridgepole

Squash and cukes so far no powdery mildew,some romas in buckets

Cuttings very successful,left to right in foreground is basil,tomatillo and a tomato

And finally some very happy fish growing strongly in tank 1/2

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2015, 01:12:45 AM »
You are growing some great green and food Spud!!! I wish I had the energy. Show us some cooking with that stuff!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »
The story around here Don goes like this.....Carl,I need basil.Carl,I need lettuce....and thats pretty much what was eaten.Only a few tomatoes so far.Celery powder was a winner.Mrs is talking making Cowboy Candy from peppers,if she does I will follow it for here.

This has been the first year of both greenhouse and aquaponics,so Im just figuring out what will even grow,then save seeds from those,and get planting times straight so next season we have some workable ideas.I had a lot of hiccups getting the water properly fertilized and mineralized,got that solved.

Sooooo....next season I plant lots more strawberries.A lot of peppers with varieties we will eat.More beans,that seven pod bean I THINK is Provider Bean,it is a real producer so a lot more plants on that.Snow peas also.Need to research when they should be planted,timing seems real important on those.

The tomatillos,great bloomer,so 6 maybe of them in the beans should be wowzers.

Seems like heirloom purple tomatoes,cherry,and romas,maybe betterboys next year.Basil,oregano,thyme and rosemary should be right.Celery again,does well.Dill and parsley.

Squash,cukes and romas for sure in buckets.

The assorted lettuces for sure.Marygolds,some cosmo and maybe black eyed susans.Will experiment more on the flowers.

So next year push for production volume.

Offline spuds

« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
OK,I think these are Provider Beans,someone correct me if Im wrong.See if I can dry them in time for a fall crop.

Offline spuds

« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »
Putting it to bed for the winter.Getting into 40's has really been knocking out plants like the peppers and spices.

Pretty much stopped feeding the fish for their health as feeding in cold is bad for them.Need to add some celery and napa cabbages and such to keep the water healthy over winter.So thats about it for now,maybe a few rare updates for the winter setups.

Been working on the seed saving,I think we did real well with that.

I would call the first full season a 7 at least out of 10.Got a huge learning curve worked on,know what mistakes to avoid on a lot of it next year,but will still have a learning curve on doing our own seedlings,and especially want to make a lot of my own mild peppers.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
Beautiful job each and every step of the way Carl! My hat is off to you! What an accomplishment!  ;D

Offline spuds

« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »
Thanks Gene,sure was a fun project this season.Oh,and the fish sure grew,I must get a good set of pics of them.