Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63980 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Putting it to bed for winter.Cleaning out beds,all trimmings going to birds.

Chives were a hit,do more of those

Bed 4 really getting cleared out,need to get celery and Napa cabbage in to keep the bed running over winter

Fish slowing down,hard to bribe with food for pics.Their digestion stops at 51 degrees and we stop feeding,they arent very hungry now.Best I could do on pics,they look about the same as sept 14 pics.
Tank 1/2.....

Isnt he pretty? One of the calmer ones...

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #255 on: November 21, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
Cleaned up the tomato vines today.Getting pretty bare in there.Fish don't surface now,guess they've gone into 'hibernation' mode,see em in April I reckon.
Interesting some of the peppers still hanging in,would be nice if they overwintered,but 32F coldest its been so far.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
Nice Spuds!!! I was looking at the birds and thinking good choice for a Thanksgiving meal!  :D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
Nice Spuds!!! I was looking at the birds and thinking good choice for a Thanksgiving meal!  :D Don
LOL.If I ever get a whizbang chicken plucker meat birds are an option.Those girls are now pets,chickens on year 7,think ducks 3 year olds now,1 even older,the brown one,ducks still making eggs,chickens retired years ago.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
Glad you had a great summer and can enjoy the fruits of your labor. It been fun watching your progress.

Have a great winter Carl ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2015, 01:13:01 AM »
Thanks Drew,and back atcha!

Offline spuds

« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Its been cold.This is February weather in December.Been as cold as 24F.Have had tank 1/2 freeze over but kept bubbling but wasnt pumping,tank 3/4 frozen over with no air action.Thawed,now 3/4 is pumping and frozen on top,1/2 tank frozen and no air action going on.

Tank 1/2,broke up ice about 1/4 inch thick.No floating fish so reckon they are doing the hibernation thing.

Bed 1,in the middle is Napa Cabbage,some celery,and the leafy thing thats green with red veins is Rumex,a very hardy lettuce.This bed is frozen solid on top anyhow,not sure below.I pour water on plants to keep em fed and wetted.

Bed 4,also Rumex with a sorry looking celery and in the farthest corner a night blooming jasmine cutting doing surprisingly well

Chives in bed 3,go figure,they look very good yet

Bed 2,strawberries struggling,but thyme and oregano both holding up

Now this is downright weird,I decided not to baby the citrus.Covered half with trashcans and half exposed,no extra heat.The covered have been like that 3 weeks,no sun at all and look GREAT,only one of the exposed is shriveled and dying Im guessing,rest look pretty dang good.Days on end of freezing temps,and as low as 24F,and lots of snow,this is unexpected pleasure for sure

Offline spuds

« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline spuds

« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
oops
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:36:44 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »
Have had up to 4 inches ice in the tanks,pumps have stopped for a couple weeks at one point.Today its 63F,have rumex lettuce,a struggling bit celery,thyme,some green onions in pots.So hope the converted bacteria is alive and well.No sign of fish,they are in suspended animation.

Offline spuds

« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »
Making it thru the winter....bed 2 thyme and strawberries doing well

Bed 1 celery,snap dragon and Rumex lettuce.I need another very hardy lettuce and I can get salad in winter,

Rumex bed 1

Rumex bed 2

Green onion in soil,need to investigate getting these into winter bed

Flower bulbs and Garlics

Offline spuds

« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »
Took out my Rumex plants and divided them in half.They have a bulb like structure with roots,sliced it in half,hopefully that was the right thing to do.

Topped off the water tanks and woke up fish,my but have they grown! No food and grew,how did they do that????

Tank 2 even came up and ate a few pellets,tank 1 they were looking around but arent eating today.Looks like they had a great rest and looking good!

Offline spuds

« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »
Got temps taken,pretty cold for fish yet...

Ambient temp

Hoophouse temp

Rumex divided up

water temp

bed temp

plant temp

dog temp

Offline spuds

« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Hmmmm.... a little about Rumex

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/zesty-sorrel.aspx?PageId=2
Blood Sorrel (Rumex sanguineus)

Blood sorrel is a wild sorrel found in many parts of Eurasia. It is valued for its pointed and bright lime-green leaves with dark red veins, and now is used extensively in Europe as an accent plant in ornamental landscaping.

For culinary uses, the plant must be harvested young. It tastes a little like lettuce, so the baby spring leaves are ideal for salad mixes. When the plant begins to toughen and mature, the leaves can be cooked like spinach or used in stir-fries. Because of its low-growing habit (about 12 inches tall), blood sorrel makes a nice border plant or garden accent. It is a noninvasive perennial, so once it’s established you will have it for a long time.

Offline spuds

« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
Well,dividing the rumex went well,so I did it some more.Started with 4 plants.Got 6 here

Got 8 here,with the celery that had 5 separate plants growing from the root,divided them into plants also.4 here,one in other bed

Divided the Yarrow into 2

This is pretty amazing stuff,I have more info now on not only what can take a deep freeze,but also makes more plants in the spring.Also have lots of worms,and unfortunately baby slugs too,will have to go after them right away.