Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 64049 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
Big day today.Got the 4x4's planted.Represents the end of cement work,and last of the heavy boards.They will have a cross-member on top,on top of that will sit the ridgepole,that 2x6 by the fence.The hoops will attach to that.That will be 7 foot tall.

Real happy with the plumb on the posts,not bad for a schmuck and the mrs,my carpentry/building skills are a 3 on the 10 scale at best.

And something completely different.The solar system on truck.320 watts of panels and 4 AGM batteries,divided into 2 separate systems on each side of truck.2 Morningstar controllers between panels and batteries.2000 watt Prowatt SW2000 pure sinewave inverter for the 120volt output. Major cool.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:35 AM »
Not much to do for a while,I want the cement in the pipes to really cure,so hoops on hold. I suppose I can get the cross-members up and frame in a window and the door.

BIL due on 23rd to help with ridgepole.

So that means time to start gathering up supplies for grow beds,not sure exactly how I will make them,now studying all the options for that,Im really shooting for durable vrs costs,so thats next to make decisions and start getting that going.

The IBC totes are 80-100 dollars and can make 2 - 15 sq ft beds each,but Im reading that plastic isnt UV protected,so thats the dilemma to figure out how to do

IBC Totes
http://www.ibctote.com/

An IBC tote is a common term for an Intermediate Bulk Container. Whether handling bulk liquids, viscous products or dry flowables, IBC totes or portable bulk containers can meet transportation and handling requirements for corrosives, flammables, food and beverages, custom chemicals, lubricants to pharmaceuticals both safely and cost effectively. The IBC totes come in various sizes the most common size being the 275 and 330 gallon capacity.
=====================================
http://urbanfishfarmer.com/single-ibc-tote-unit/

This site gives an Idea,I will have one full tank for fish I think.Beds will be on a table,shelf setup of some sort

This picture shows it cut to make a grow bed,sitting on a tank it was cut from,you can get 2 grow-beds from one IBC.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »
This project looks better all the time, Spuds - I'm loving it!

Offline spuds

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
Today I worked on hoops,found out 22 foot pipes gives me the angle I want on sidewalls for most room.Thats the biggest one in this picture.

In an ideal world you would get even sunlight on pipes,making a bend very easy,the pipe would itself assume the bend angle. My yard isnt ideal,only one side of pipes get full sun,so bend was very uneven,I will have to make a jig,at that the curve wont be perfectly symmetrical,but will be close enough.Fortunately Im not building a house so I have plenty of leeway.

Seems the trick will just be getting all the pipes bent the same.
1.5 inch conduit is not easy to bend. In the sun tomorrow I will work on getting my jig as close as possible.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Awesome, Spuds, you are rollin' right along with that!   Hopefully the sun will cooperate and you'll get a nice bend to those pipes-- I can only imagine how still those would be to get that bend!

The IBC idea looks great-- using the top part to sit over the fish tank bit. 

Darn good on that plumb!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
Got the hoops bent,no idea how long they need to stay like this to assume the position.

Getting jig built I had to connect the bottom three with three screws on left,then after that just one screw to 4x4 once jig was positioned into proper curvature.That took a while moving and pounding stakes to get it right.

This is the top of hoop,very pleased with the angle and how close they came to even.This is about 7.5 feet from base on height,and that should be right where ridgepole fits in.

Hoops - all of them,in place in jig,Im very pleased with latest progress.Looks like,per measurements,that the curve should go over 4x4,then with a 4x4 cross-member and 2x6 on that for a ridgepole the fit should be right on target,wont know until one hoop goes up,and that is limiting what I can do until it does.

Offline spuds

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
Ordered 85 feet of this,that will do the cover 3 times over,so set for 15 years about,give or take.If you ordered 238 dollars,get 75 dollars off,so with shipping of 82 dollars my total is 248 dollars
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs_greenhouse_films;pg109093.html

Custom Cut Sun Master® Infrared Anti-Condensate Thermal Greenhouse Film

Infrared retention and anti-condensate additives mean superior diffusion rates, heat retention and tensile strength.

• Co-extruded copolymer resin tri-layer construction offers maximum physical properties for superior film life.
• Infrared (IR) additives provide excellent diffusion and absorb and re-radiate infrared heat back down to the crop during the evening hours, saving as much as 30% on heating costs.
• Drip control additive is incorporated throughout the film and provides superior condensation control.
• 88% light transmission.
• 52% diffused light transmission means improved, more uniform plant growth.
• UV stabilized for up to four years of film life.
• Writing (this side to the soil) should be facing the inside of the greenhouse so you can read from inside the greenhouse.
• Custom cut film under 50 feet long incurs a small panel charge.

Greenhouse Films - Custom Cut Sun Master® Infrared Anti-Condensate Thermal Greenhouse Film
Item #    Description    Price    
109093    Custom Cut Sun Master® Infrared Anti-Condensate Thermal Greenhouse Film 20'W    $2.83 /FT    More Info
===================================
Got the door up,next to handle is a removable section that will allow 45 inch entryway when unscrewed.Had to cut 9 inches off bottom of metal clad door with sawzall,cut and rehang hinge strip.Lots of cutting,drilling,screwing and dremel tooling to get it done.Leaving door elevated on base  boards will allow easier entry when snow on ground.

Girl is glued to me when Im working,Snookie runs and hides.

Offline spuds

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
Spent about 75 dollars on wood and screws.screws 10 dollars a pound,wow!The cover is in transit,they bill after you receive,who does that anymore?Didn't want card info,send em a check when invoice arrives,wow!

Getting close now,it arrives Tuesday.Out to do some work.Neighbor has a couple totes,will see if he wants to sell,need to put the full tote for tank in before I cover.Otherwise have to remove panel next to door for access on that wide item.

Today cut the side supports for the walls and got 2 installed,other 2 couldn't do because pipes block area.Got 4x4 headers and ridgepole done.Pre-drilled ridgepole for the hoops to attach to,ready to put hoops up,just need to get the full sized IBC Tote for tank in first.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
Lost six hens and a great rooster to a coon not long ago...  I put the coon tune on that coon.... Then I boiled him up and fed him to the rest of the chickens...
  I saw a show on PBS about a guy in Maine that grows tomatoes almost year round. He said he found that if he places two layers of visqueen one inch apart to start. Then each additional layer added with a one inch gap  basically moves the climate in the house the equivalent of 600 miles south with each layer. If I come across the show again I'll post it.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
Got my IBC totes ordered,4 for 450 dollars delivered.That will make 1 fish tank and 6 grow beds.Delivered on Monday or today if he has time.The delivery charge is a major bargain,they wont fit in my truck bed because of shell,nor fit in Jeep.

8) <----One Happy Spuds because I also got a check for 507 dollars for old stock dividends I never cashed,so that will pay for em,just too dang slick today!!!!
----------------------------
 275 Gallon IBC Tote Tank Water Containers - Truck Load Quantities - $100

Hello, I have 275 Gallon IBC Tote Tanks in Stock
275 Gallon or 1000 Liter Water Containers
Tubular Aluminum Cage w/ Forklift pockets
HDPE Food Grade Plastics in great shape
Totes have been used once, and pressure washed
inside and out to ensure cleanliness.
8 inch top screw cap, and 2 inch bottom ball valve.
Great shape, ready to be used for any application.

Dimensions: 45" tall X 39½ wide X 48" deep
275 Gallon Totes = $100 each

Offline spuds

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
Man,those puppies are big!
And one little guy unloaded those from his pickup truck,by himself!

Offline spuds

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
The pallet bases must be 35-40 pounds of the one hundred pounds they weigh

Safely tucked away in front of truck for the night and off the street.Not hard to move with the pallets removed.

Supervised and approved by Girl

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:53:47 PM by spuds »

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2014, 03:43:07 AM »
Not much time for Chit Chat Carl while at work, but dang this is a fun post to watch and read ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
Not much time for Chit Chat Carl while at work, but dang this is a fun post to watch and read ;D
Sure is!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
I agree, very interesting thread! You're making great, steady progress Spuds! Wish I lived much closer, I'd enjoy assisting in any way to help! Be safe buddy!