Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63985 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The pictures are really helpful,at night I can study them and helps me work out problems.As each step comes up I go on web and read that particular step and learn best way/option to move forward.

Found out something new last night,the greenhouse fabric has a reaction with chlorine in the pvc pipes where they touch,you have to paint pipes to eliminate premature wear.

The paint to use is Krylon Fusion,made just for painting plastic,like plastic chairs,PVC window frames,etc.

The drawback is its hard to find in stock,may have to online order.If my Ace Hardware doesnt have it they can order it to store in 1 to 7 days.

So may have a week of not much getting done,it would be best to paint while hoops not up related to loss from overspray,but may just say the heck with it and spray them once up so I can keep it moving along.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
This is the same design as the ones over at Robertsdale Feed.  The biggest squash plant I've ever seen was growing in it last time I was there.  It was climbing up the building and going all over the place.  I think you are going to have an excellent set up going...

Not much to do for a while,I want the cement in the pipes to really cure,so hoops on hold. I suppose I can get the cross-members up and frame in a window and the door.

BIL due on 23rd to help with ridgepole.

So that means time to start gathering up supplies for grow beds,not sure exactly how I will make them,now studying all the options for that,Im really shooting for durable vrs costs,so thats next to make decisions and start getting that going.

The IBC totes are 80-100 dollars and can make 2 - 15 sq ft beds each,but Im reading that plastic isnt UV protected,so thats the dilemma to figure out how to do

IBC Totes
http://www.ibctote.com/

An IBC tote is a common term for an Intermediate Bulk Container. Whether handling bulk liquids, viscous products or dry flowables, IBC totes or portable bulk containers can meet transportation and handling requirements for corrosives, flammables, food and beverages, custom chemicals, lubricants to pharmaceuticals both safely and cost effectively. The IBC totes come in various sizes the most common size being the 275 and 330 gallon capacity.
=====================================
http://urbanfishfarmer.com/single-ibc-tote-unit/

This site gives an Idea,I will have one full tank for fish I think.Beds will be on a table,shelf setup of some sort

This picture shows it cut to make a grow bed,sitting on a tank it was cut from,you can get 2 grow-beds from one IBC.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
Have you decided what fish species you are using ?
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline spuds

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
Have you decided what fish species you are using ?
I might just do goldfish to get the system running,then graduate to fish production for food.Advice from an aqua guy,his suggestion is Perch or Bluegill for my climate.

Got lucky,Ace had Krylon Fusion paint in stock,get back to work tomorrow,today did some home and Jeep maintenance.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »

This is the same design as the ones over at Robertsdale Feed.  The biggest squash plant I've ever seen was growing in it last time I was there.  It was climbing up the building and going all over the place.  I think you are going to have an excellent set up going...
Im thinking 3 beds per side,with the fish tank feeding 3 at a time on a timer,but it might be too much for greenhouse space wise.Thinking 2 separate air pumps,each working an air pump for water pumping,staggering the times they run,1 pump feeds 3 beds each.Dont know,might have 2 tanks and 4 beds,just have to see how space works out?

Plus have to figure out how to have one side drained while other fills.Then there is the water sump issue to address too.Barrels maybe,I have no idea yet.Havent researched that deep enough yet.

Mrs wants some space other than aqua too.

BTW,bud with hydro,went to check him out,doing really well,he says trick is keeping water super oxygenated with a pump.He has all kinds in various stages of experimentation,I was shocked how healthy it all is doing.He too has a huge squash and a huge pumpkin growing out of a 10 gallon water tank with hydro nutrients.

Here's tristans pic showing three beds
http://ibcofaquaponics.com/systems/tristrin/

Oh,and the issue with the IBC not being UV protected has been solved,they will get Black Krylon Fusion paint jobs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:44:03 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
Things are really moving along.Today was getting tanks up.No way to get thru gates.At the narrowest they are 39.5 inches.Between my fence and Rich's roof is 39.51 inches I swear. He came home this afternoon with 2 buds in tow,and I asked for help.They moved those tanks for us,and passed them over fence to me and Mrs.

They will have tomatoes next year for sure!What NICE young men!

We will do our tanks like this

only with 2 beds on top of each tank instead of one.So 2 tanks,each with 2 grow beds on top.Then they will be in a L shape,along 2 sides.

Got em in hoophouse!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:13:56 AM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 03:23:50 AM »
I will be using homebuilt air lift pumps.You pump air into it,the air bubble raises and pumps the water.Benefits are less power,non clogging,no electric touching water.One air pump will power the two water pump contraptions.Im going with the aqua-zen design.

Can also be run with solar 12 volt air pump.

The aqua-zen

The principle behind the air lift pumps.

Is this making sense to you?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:43:10 AM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
Cut 4 grow beds

Cut the fish tanks

Painted hoops,5 of 7 up,side walls 2x4's finished

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
Man Alive, spuds, you have been knocking things out like crazy!  This is SUCH great information, I can't wait to show James some more of the things you've been doing.  He loves the idea of the fish/garden symbiosis.

Looks like the hoops took on their curve pretty well!!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »

I see that they are using a deep fryer heating element to warm the water. I have that same deep fryer so I recognize it.

The device on the ground controlling it sure looks like a Dorkfood DSV or something similar to me although the picture is not all that clear.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
That DOES look like a dorkfood.

Added 20 dollars for paint,finished up hoops,no more til next week....works calls.....

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
You could start with some small Koi. Once they get some size you can sell them for a good return.  Depending on the quality fish you get they can get pretty pricey.  My stepdaughter just got 50 a piece for some that outgrew her pond.  She got them for 16 each when small. They were about a foot when she sold them.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »
That's a good idea on the Koi!

Looking like a greenhouse now for sure!

LOL,Girl photobombed me!  8)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:47:33 AM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
Greenhouse is looking good. Not sure about the hydro business-I am stuck in tradition I guess.
==========================

The hydro benefits are 90% less water use,and faster growing,and 10 times or whatever the produce in an single amt of space...very important factors where I live.If I had a long growing season,lots of room and cheap water,wouldnt have to bother.

Also no weeding,no fertilizing,veggies at stand up height....

Offline spuds

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »

Will you grow all year? I love your setup.
=====================================

I have a huge learning curve to face.I HOPE we can grow things like kale in winter,and take cuttings of tomatoes and such and keep them alive over winter and get a big jump on growth when weather starts to change.

What will happen in reality I just dont know until we try.Im still learning mtn gardening after many years.

I will keep the thread up all along the way so we all can learn from it,and maybe folks in a similar situation it will help even more?

You will see as we go along this wont be a heated greenhouse,it isnt that style,but I can afford to heat a grow-bed or 2 to keep them above freezing so can do winter hardy and keep some other things alive hopefully over winter.I will make little hoophouses over grow-bed(s) and use Christmas tree lights for little heat to prevent freezing on them is the plan?