Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63992 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
Today I tossed in a handful of mulch loaded with worms into each bed,worms crawled right in,very cool.Plus the little bit of mulch introduces lots of beneficial bacteria.

Its interesting in that once worms and proper bacteria to convert the ammonia from fish waste to nitrites gets established,then another bacteria grows that converts the nitrite to nitrates that the plants use as food.

Then the system can actually run a couple months without any fish as the beds and worms alone create enough nutrients to feed the plants.This process takes from 6-10 weeks usually to get going. It turns the beds into what they call the bio-filter.Im starting the process without fish to establish the cycle as Ive read on the net.

Sprinkled beds with lettuce and radish seeds,see what happens with those.

Got the siphons totally dialed in,they are functioning great.I drilled a 5 mm weep hole at the bottom of the siphon stand pipes so when power is turned off the beds will drain thru those holes.Its has slowed filling from 7 to 10 minutes per cycle as a small amt of water is continually draining.

Its running beautifully.I need to go to  the store and pick up a timer for the pump,and I need to get my air stones hyper oxygenating the tank,according to my friend with the hydro system that oxygenated water is what really makes his system perform.

So thats whats happening,all in all really happy at this point.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:43:19 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
Fascinating stuff Spuds!!  Thanks for keeping the updates coming!   (And that little raccoon at the end just cracked me up!!)
Yup,the little terrorists have already discovered it.Dogs had a raccoon fight last night,but they escaped.When plastic cover goes on I will have a 3 foot high fence of small chicken wire around greenhouse,and my solar powered electric fence charger that will power it,they do NOT like my solar fence,Im sure they have put out a contract on it,sneaky little so and so's!

BTW,those solar electric fences work pretty well,but needs a sunny spot in winter.I will be posting on that,its an awesome device and really well built,worth  the money.FYI,it was originally designed for the military,then went to the civilian market,they can power up to 40 miles of fence on the larger units,great product!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:44:37 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Time for some updating.I got the grow-beds proofed out.Was a problem with the siphons sucking up the rocks and sending them to water tank.Finally re-did siphons again,this time the bell is 2 Inch pvc over 1 inch standpipes.That didnt work with just water,but water traveling thru the media does something and they work very reliably.So just cut some slits in side of bells,and rocks cant get sucked up.Makes a clean set up too.

So its all running,I can get the other side beds going now too.

Im very happy with the air powered water pump,quiet and reliable and I dont have any water/electricity mixing,I like that a LOT!

Ready to pick up a few goldfish feeder fish to get the tank nutrition running,got some things planted,not doing too well,saw some radishes coming up,but its getting chilly here,so for weather and such,again pleased where the system is at.

Offline spuds

« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
Got the duck pond moved up top,1 ponds worth does 2/3rds of the trees watering.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
 I like these updates..  This will be worth the effort when it all comes together. 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
Got some fish,15 feeder goldfish and minnows

Got some mosquito fish from the County Vector control,maybe 10-15?

Got a male Betta,we shall see,others very water temp hardy,not sure on Betta

Got some water plants

My very happy fish,nice to see all the life in the system now!

A 2 day celery stem,wow! Talk about happy!

Happy tomatoes,strawberries and baby radishes.

Now that weve got the growing part going on in the next 2 weeks from now can get greenhouse covered....will see.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
Great progress Spuds!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks Mike (and all following),in starts and fits its getting there.  :)

Hard to believe its about finished.

Putting in the fish makes it so alive.Very cool.This is a great tank for little fishes.

The minnows are friendly and curious,right at home.The goldfish,a little behind them.The mosquitoes are skitterish(is that a word?),and 'Red Alpha' Betta (RAB) is hiding,little concerned about him,but he looked so miserable at the store we are going to try to make it better for him.Hope we dont kill him.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
'Red Alpha' Betta (RAB) is hiding,little concerned about him,but he looked so miserable at the store we are going to try to make it better for him.Hope we dont kill him.

Do you think the water temperature may be too low for a Betta?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
'Red Alpha' Betta (RAB) is hiding,little concerned about him,but he looked so miserable at the store we are going to try to make it better for him.Hope we dont kill him.

Do you think the water temperature may be too low for a Betta?
My daughter has had the same problem at home - temp is important for these fish
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »
Glad to see that it's all coming together for you spuds, it's been interesting reading and following your progress on this project.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Yes,concerned on water temp for RAB,conflicting info on what he can handle,rest look to be good from 33F to 104F.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
 The Beta is going to need the water temps between 75 and 85 to thrive.  If I have been paying attention properly you are using air to move the water. ?  If so, your water is going to stay on the cool side for him. Winter will be tough.
 Otherwise your system looks great!   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
Im afraid you are right,I dont see him today,may already be a lost cause darn it.

UPDATE-Alive and well,just a shy little fella. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:12:22 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Lost 4 goldfish and a mosquito over the weekend.Put the air bubbler in,maybe that was it(Low oxygen)? Or there was brown algae on water pump hose,thats gone,maybe they ate it and a problem? The water is certainly clearer.

RAB is real happy getting in the bubble stream,his fins all out.

Also on a timer now,30 minutes on,30 off during day,4 thirty minute cycles thru the night,to save a little electricity.If my calculations are right,figuring electric at 20 cents a Kw/Hr delivered,will cost 2.80 US a month to run,dang good,and water usage is next to nothing,very efficient.Of course not much growing or heat either at present.

Air pump setup

Siphons working great!

Finally a fish picture,my camera just cant deal with water and reflections

Added a couple more celery

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:02:16 AM by spuds »