Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 64079 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:20 AM »
 I think you will have to keep us updated on the results from time to time...  I want to see those potatoes when they are ready. And all the other cool things it produces.

I had another coon in the chickens last week. I'll post it in another thread so not to steal this one...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Dang coons.

Mike,Im going to heat the beds,not the tank.Im pretty sure they wont freeze over,but even if they do partially the goldfish supposedly can handle it.Still lots of learning yet on how its going to behave.Will be interesting to watch for sure.

Havent added it all together yet,but I have the numbers,offhand around 2500 total?Could be done for less for sure,The treated wood,plastic wood and redwood costs could be greatly reduced,only thing I couldnt do cheaper is the cover,and yet,they do sometimes have sales on remnants.It can be built without the base altogether,just put the pipes straight into ground if you have a level spot.Base was a few hundred.

Oh,and bear in mind I bought enough cover to do it 3 times.

Probably around 800-900 on the aquaponics parts.

I will be adding it up in the future when I sit down with some paper and calculator,I think 2500 is a good estimate.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
What a great project - I wish I had one.  Well done, spuds!

Offline spuds

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
So we made it through the winter without heating.At one point went 3 weeks with water frozen with 3 inches ice,and air pump non functioning as bubbler froze.The beds were frozen solid.

2 radish,a kale,a cilantro,a watercress,a chive,7 celery,all survived the winter.The worms survived.The fish, 75% made it.

So a LOT was learned.

1 problem I have is not enough nutrient from my small fish,about 15 of them.So I have bought 3,3 inch Koi for 28 dollars and just added them.

Went to hydro store for advice.Guy says almost all hydro chems will kill the fish.What are you doing? Said salads,lettuce,tomatoes...He says gotcha covered,seaweed extract!Bought a gallon for 29 dollars.It pours out like,and looks like,molasses.Put 1 tsp per gallon,or 24 ounces for my tank.It turned water black,but fish ok,but They arent coming up to feed yet,a few days.May put a light on to attract them,and will next time only use extract at 50%.

Also the extract makes an excellent foliar feeder,and my plants that needed it,like radish,have greened right up,and it kicked the old kale into overdrive,also the brussels sprout plant.Woke them right up.

I planted,in one bed,now about 35 plants.2 six packs of different Kales,2 sixers of assorted red and green lettuce,4 heirloom varieties of tomatoes.Have the 7 celery in their too.

The pic doesnt do it justice,there is no scale to show the plants sizes.

So thats the start,Im getting a 60 day jump hopefully on the season up here,barring a devastating frost,a light frost probable,hoping not a serious one.

The seaweed...Along with elephant garlic in hoophouse,none have come up outside yet,and chickens got those last year,so may get our first success with these.

The first almost filled bed

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
Carl, missed Ya while you were in hibernation. Glad to have you back and looking forward to your posts thru out the year ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks Drew.I will get in and do a weekly update on how it does this year,Plants are going crazy already.Disease control or growth will also be an interesting thing to learn this season.I got some bell peppers planted.
Fish are doing fine in the seaweed water,started feeding.

Offline spuds

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »
Interesting,reading seaweed foliar feeding helps prevent diseases....

For more detail click on pic,when it goes to photobucket wiggle mouse until a magnifying glass icon shows and click that.

Update week one

Bed 1

Bed 2

Offline spuds

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
Took one of my first successful EVER elephant garlics from the container and put it into a bed to see how bulb type plants grow in the system.Moved my orange bell peppers to the area next to walls as harder to get to and leave the center aisle areas for fast growing plants,so cool you can move plants around and it doesnt faze em a bit.The Bells have tiny fruits starting,as do tomatoes.The lettuces are growing like crazy,the week 2 pics will be astounding.

Found a dill in the bargain bin for a dollar at grocery store,see if it will recover.Going to pick up a few herbs we use a lot today like more basil and cilantro,and a cherry tomato and work on getting the other 2 beds going.Hee hee,gotta get my salsa area done,LOL!

Was running my net thru water tank to clean up surface and pulled up baby Mosquito fish,how cool is that?

Offline spuds

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
OK,some temps.1 widow open,door closed.Curious to see how air,water and plant temps play on lettuce growth and bolting.I can lower indoor temps,this is just cool to see,it NEVER gets that hot here.They are loving the warmth.

Outside 59.4

Inside temp between 85 to 100,95 this pic

Fish tank

Bed media (soil) temp

Lettuce leaf temp

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Holy cow, that's like a paradise in there!   Must feel great to hang out in there while you're working on things.   Plants look great!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
Yeah,its really awesome inside Kat!

Offline spuds

« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:30 PM »
Crummy pics but it is what it is.Added a couple more tomatoes in back of bed 1. Bed 2 got 24 basil,big difference on phone between OK,get 4,and come home with 4 6 packs.Also 4 tomatoes in this bed,all heirlooms,2 of the cherry varieties in yellow/orange,no red cherry out yet.Also added some rosemary.

Just a ton of plants in there.

Beds 3 and 4 will be up and working this week,pump ready to go,just cleaning the media for bed 4,bed three will be a float/raft system with the lettuce mostly,see what else will grow in that set-up.

Remember,you can click on pic,then wiggle mouse until magnifying glass icon shows,click it for better detail.

Bed 1

Bed 2

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »
You're going to be giving away produce soon ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
Really cool!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »
Really cool!
Thanks Mike.Drew,I promised the fellas that got the tanks up for me tomatoes,hope this season we deliver.

Got bed 4 filled with medium,took 5 hours to clean the stuff we had,wow!....tomorrow will start up pump and the siphon,got the tank filled with half the water from 1 and 2's tank and rest with fresh water,and transferred 2 mosquito fish and 2 goldfish today.Going to pick up 40 goldfish to divide among tanks,and 3 and 4 should get plants next week.