Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 64050 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2015, 12:59:45 AM »
Gene (Hikerman) had an interesting thought.He mentioned how its hard work and paying off.

Actually now there is almost zero work.I can literally ignore it for days at a time if I want or need to,fish will live missing being fed even.

And its really relaxing,we can sit in chairs outside the door and just enjoy the plants,and we pop up and down,looking at this and that.Both Mrs and I have little pet projects going on,like the seedling things,or her things in pots that arent aquaponics.

This thing with the KOI,they really amaze us.Im so glad folks talked to us about that and we listened.They are getting friendly,and they have these side fins up front that they lay out,and just cruise around.Today was the first time all 5 came up together to feed,they are getting really calm.So man are they relaxing to watch,can fish be 'sweet'? These guys sure are,its mind blowing to an extent.Have a few goldfish that are real personality plus fish too.Like Pink Nose,he/she is always first up to see whats going on when we look in.

Have I mentioned the die off is for sure over?The algae is dying off notably now in tank 3/4. I dont like this thing about using the sacrificial fish getting it running,thats just one thing I felt bad about,so glad Im not killing little innocent guys in ammonia who rely on us totally to keep them safe,talk about hard on the soul,glad thats over and hopefully will never have to deal with again.THOUGH....die offs do happen even to the pro's,so cant say it wont again.

Work? Thats all over,now its just plain fun.

On the weekly I'll talk about the plant feeding and disease protocol we are following,seems to work pretty well so far.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:15:56 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »
So for week 9 Im going to talk about food and medicine for the system.For me the medicine is colloidal silver,I mix it with the seaweed extract.

I make a gallon of  diluted extract with 1 ounce of extract per gallon.I take it and fill my spray bottle 3/4 full,and finish the last 1/4 with the silver.

The line behind the silver is it kills virus,bacteria,and fungus.The claim is its effective on 650 different organisms.The mechanism has something to do with it being a catalyst, disabling the particular enzymes that all one-celled bacteria,fungi,and viruses use for their oxygen metabolism. They suffocate.
The silver and bacteria,etc have different positive and negative charges,and it strips a molecule from  Fungi,bacteria and viruses and they die.Something like that.

We use it in conventional medicine in silver impregnated dressings for wounds,and as silvadene ointment used to prevent infections on burn tissue.Its controversial in home use. You can decide if you want to use it on you or your pets or plants.

In my use in the hoop house,Ive sprayed it on fungus? on wood and it really knocked it out.On the seedlings they are getting a fungus when they come up,a quick spritz and it wipes it out,I mean its GONE.

So thats what Im doing,feeding and medicating the plants from disease several times a week.

My friend the herbalist made me a generator.Cost 25 bucks for parts,or about 100 bucks on web.Consists of a 9 volt battery,I use a rechargable Lithium Ion.The black box has some sort of current limiter IIRC,to make the finest sized nano silver particles.You could skip the box and apply straight current.

You need 2, 5 inch or so pieces of thick silver wire that is 99.9999% pure,thats really pure stuff.You hook the battery to the wires  that are submerged in the very pure distilled water,the major brands work best.Also need a hand held laser pen and/or a Total Dissolved Solids meter (TDS) I got for about ten bucks from the China online place.

The kit

All there is to it,2 silver wires in a qt of distilled water in a VERY clean jar.

Its done when the laser makes a solid beam in water as light passes through,thats the laser reflecting off the nano silver particles,you can judge strength from that alone.In this picture the strength is 4ppm (parts per million) per the meter,minimum from most sources say from 3 to 50PPM.Friend says he makes 3,all thats needed,for plants I make up to 10 PPM.This batch is 6 for multi use as Im out and I use it for all uses,plants, animal and human,but THATS ME.I dont recommend you do anything,YOU make your health care choices,not me.

Took about 5 hours,I cleaned the probes 3 times during process,they get black and get particulate on them that slows down the current transfer between the rods.Then I transfer it to another jar through a coffee filter to get those few particulates that fall off rods.

Thats it,seems to work.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
Week 10,fish make their first video debut,as does spuds on youtube  :) Pretty cool after playing with it forever to make it work,LOL.Rest of updates tomorrow,the fly problem.

Look at all those hits! Obama and Bieber getting jealous! ::)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:43:41 PM by spuds »

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2015, 11:58:11 PM »
It looks like some of them fish have grown.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
Yup,they sure have. Have a black goldfish who looks pregnant too,I really need to get a hold of some plants.I'll try to get the fungus gnat update up soon,after video I have just had my fill of uploadings,took a few hours to figure it out.

Any advice on the gnats anybody?? Im using worms and BT when BT arrives.

O.T. ......if youve never made a youtube video its a kick.Takes FOREVER to upload,this thing was 116 MB and I have no idea how to make it less,just pushed video button on camera and it does its own thing.

Learned also,make very slow camera movements,dont get too close,things like that.I think I might do a better one sometime just sorta walking around,might give some good perspective on growth and such.Youtubers,could use advice on this topic too,hint hint.

LOL,I dont think Im  ready to send a resume to Steven Spielberg quite yet! But it was fun,and learned something new,very cool.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:33:36 AM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:14 PM »
Going on to week 12....FUNGUS GNATS! Little tiny things,attack plants by roots,can kill whole plants.I have a BILLION of em! Been using shop vac to suck em up,they are weak flyers.Tried sticky strips,not much.

Larvae...the little white specks on hydroton.

So I got these guys....

And these microscopic worms that attack the larvae

Also got BT powder,awaiting delivery.So we shall see.VERY destructive,killed the rosemary,my large basil too.All over the lettuce but hanging in.Have some leaves turning brown on celery.So far,Im making headway,seeing a LOT less larvae.Will repeat the worms in one week.

Snap peas doing great,pulled off a dozen,the cuttings are struggling,but the thyme cuttings doing well.

Pok choy and radish seeds doing well,concentrating on getting seeds,puppies are expensive so it needs to be done.Learning...

Dill seeds,no idea when they are ready to pick?

Green onions and radish good,transplanted some of the tiny lettuce,unknown if they will survive gnats,hope so,need fresh lettuce plants.

Radishes in bed 4

And the bargain bin onion sets,the spousal units' regular potting setup growing well.

Offline spuds

« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
Fighting the gnats...Clean up the plants

First the kale,lettuce and bell peppers took a 2 hour swim in the tank.

Swished and swirled in a water/peroxide mix

Replanted after spraying with colloidal silver/peroxide spray,and trimmed to minimal growth

Strawberries doing great!

So emptied out 5 buckets of em and transplanted to bed 2,that way the critters wont get em.

New lettuce coming up

Snooky supervising...

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
I have not been keeping up and wished I had! Impressive work and a great post Spuds!!! I see that Snooky and Girl were always on hand to help you! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2015, 05:03:56 AM »
Puppy is tired after all that work ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Puppy is tired after all that work ;D
That's a lot of work for a little puppy dog... at least that's what Roscoe tells me...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
Keep posting.
Very cool to watch the progress!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2015, 11:40:46 PM »
Thanks gentlemen for the kind comments.Snooky is really a sweet dog.Takes faithful to the fullest degree.She has a job too.I say 'Service Dog!' and she runs to my chair and sits,hold her collar and pull myself up.She also does the stairs and stands above,hold her collar and she walks you up.If you saw my horrible back stairs you could see,she DOES help.

Very cool,gives her a job she so needs to feel useful,and who knows,day may come when I really need her assistance.Yup,good doggy for sure. ;) :)

Oh,and 24/7 security,and dang is she a good guard dog(Seriously good)!Wont find any UPS men sneaking into our yard,and the truck is afraid to even stop,she starts barking and they dont even slow down,just hurry on by.Now thats a brilliant dog,LOL!Too funny,she can hear the UPS truck a block away and alerts,boy does she HATE UPS,LOL.Loves the fedex guys,go figure!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:09:55 AM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
Week 13....made real headway on those gnats,population way down.Added a couple fly tapes over each tank,got at least 35 gnats yesterday.Also vacuuming swarming buggers in the evening helped knock em down fast too.Next year i will raise media level 2 inches so no surface moist area for them to get started in.

Went ahead and planted all my strawberries in bed 2 but for one outside pot.Mighty fine!

Snow pea production slowed down,leaving some on plant for seeds.Planted 3 varieties of peas and beans direct sowing,and a bean seedling at foot of each.

Celery is huge and flower tops starting to form,after they seed I will make celery powder.The Thyme has tiny purple flowers but I couldnt get a decent picture.Beds 3 and 4..

Left side of hoop house

Radish seeds really coming along well

Now on the seedlings.The rockwool covered with coconut coir is AWESOME for seeds,but not sure if Im not just creating a grow media for the gnats? Planted 4 six packs,1 per spot... with several assortments of radishes,they are doing much better than in the hydroton.

Cant forget the goldfish.This is HEALTHY tank 3/4 with about 15 thriving GF,WOOHOO!So hard to get water pics....

Offline spuds

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
Looks like I need more iron.Supposedly after system is established it can convert iron to usable form from water,but may have iron deficient water.Iron allows plant to utilize nutrients,and should help growth.4 teaspoons for 100 gallons is about right,what I put in.

My plants that need help

This is the iron.Expensive but the most usable form we can get,64 dollars for 5 lbs delivered

Got my nice red tint!

Offline spuds

« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Week 14-SEEDS SEEDS SEEDS!
They are doing pretty well....the bok choy seed pods...

Radish pods look just like the bok choy.Lettuce seeds...

That dill is a pretty plant...the cilantro is the white flowers in second pic

Celery is forming seeds too.My seedlings,bottom left is one radish per six pack pod.

Iron works wonders,look at the thyme and strawberry improvement(leaves middle left),and it is making plants take off,though temps are up too.

Tomatoes FINALLY getting some growth

And the rest...