Author Topic: ribs- failed again  (Read 3772 times)

Offline allornothing

ribs- failed again
« Reply #-1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
Hi everyone, looking for help with baby back ribs in the SRG.  I've made several attempts and just haven't gotten it right.  I've followed Tommy's 40 minutes high, rub wrap in foil for 40 minutes and sauce to taste but they still seemed tough and didn't have alot of taste.  This weekend I rubbed, covered for a few hours in fridge, did the 40 minutes then pulled and added some brown sugar, butter and wrapped in foil for another 40 minutes.  I'm not sure if I used to much brown sugar or butter, but it turned to this black sticky stuff that stuck to the foil and the bones.  It was a mess, the meat I was able to eat was pretty good but boy what a mess.  I'd love to post pictures but I haven't had any luck getting them on, I'm worse than Dee.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: ribs- failed again
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
You using baby backs right?

I go 35 to 40 naked then rub and wrap (low sugar rub) then go another 40 to 45 remove and inspect to see how they look.  If they look close to being done I then add sauce and return them or if they need more time I just rewrap with the same foil and go another 10 mins and then recheck

Sorry your having problem  :( 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
Hey Tom - glad to see you here again - don't be a stranger!

Last first: We have a thread section for opting photos, I hope it has some helpful tips for you. You may also find that posting questions about posting photos will generate som good responses to point you to specific threads.

Tommy is the SRG guru - I would follow his advice. But - just one question...How are you placing the ribs in the SRG? Are you hanging them in the basket, or laying them on top of the  grill grate ?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline allornothing

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
Yes I'm doing Baby back ribs.  I don't think it was the rub that burned it had to be the brown sugar I'm assuming I just put to much on.  This stuff was black and sticky almost like tar.

I'm hanging the ribs for the first 40, then after wrapping I lay them down on the racks inside the basket.   

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Have you tried using the grill grate for this? Just asking....Not saying it is the "cure" you seek....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
I found if you don't have a basket like I do to hang them you can stand them up after you wrap them meat side out and they do just fine
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline allornothing

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Tee, I had four half racks going so they wouldn't fit on the grate so I put two on each shelf. 

TMB, I layed them down thinking that it would help keep in the brown sugar and butter.  I was afraid if I hung them back up, all it would do is run out of the bottom of foil.  Will the brown sugar, turn black and tar like if I put too much in.  I guess the first thing I need to find out is what turned black, the sugar or the butter or the combination.  I will try them naked next time, but I did see somebody who cooks them with brown sugar, butter and even maple syrup and boy did his ribs look fantastic when he pulled back the foil. 

I guess I have another excuse to try again this weekend!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Brown sugar would burn like crazy if left in to long, the butter would burn but not as fast as the brown sugar.

I don't add any kinda sugar to mine only rub so try just rub and skip the brown sugar, bet
 they turn out much better
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
At the risk of being run out of here on a rail even though I just got here, I'll take the risk and ask if you ever cook with a Dutch oven.  That's the best way I've found to make perfect ribs.   :-X

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
At the risk of being run out of here on a rail even though I just got here, I'll take the risk and ask if you ever cook with a Dutch oven.  That's the best way I've found to make perfect ribs.   :-X

If it is the Dutch Oven I am thinking of well my wife was ran out of the room herself :o

And I agree with Tommy. It is the sugars being scorched by the infrared.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
Sure would like a thread on that...hint hint!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline allornothing

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »
I appreciate all the help, next batch no brown sugar.  Each cook I learn something new with the SRG.  The good news is it's never produced anything that wasn't edible, everything tastes ok, just not great.  Hopefully I'll get time to take another shot this weekend. 

I bought the new grates with the stainless emitters and procelien coated cast iron grates for my infrared four burner, haven't had a chance to try them yet.  I'm hoping will be a little easier to clean than older ones. 

Never used a dutch oven before be curious about that.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
Sure would like a thread on that...hint hint!

Here ya go!  Dutch and Sandy's Dutch Oven Ribs.

DO cooking is really easy and fun, Allornothing.  We use charcoal briquettes, which gives more uniform heat than wood or lump charcoal.  We're lazy so we just stick with the charcoal.

The only Dutch oven instructions you'll ever need can be found right here.  Dutch's ring method simplifies DO cooking so it doesn't seem intimidating.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:40:57 PM by GrillinBWCA »