Author Topic: Pulled Pork Question  (Read 2120 times)

Offline dms269

Pulled Pork Question
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
My father-in-law is coming over this weekend to make his bbq so we can jar some bottles. I figured a great way to use some was to use the SRG for some pulled pork. I have gathered some basic understanding of what to do...
-S;lather on CYM then season with rub.
-Cook on high for 15 minutes (for the smoke with some pellets) and then low for the rest of the cook (IT around 200).
-Then FTC it until ready to eat (a couple of hours).

Is it lid up or lid down the entire cook (or a combination of both). I am figuring if I start it at 10 in the morning, then hopefully it is done around 2 (or no later than 4 I am guessing), and then it will get a minimum of 2 hours in the cooler.

Is that a basic understanding?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Pulled Pork Question
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
My father-in-law is coming over this weekend to make his bbq so we can jar some bottles. I figured a great way to use some was to use the SRG for some pulled pork. I have gathered some basic understanding of what to do...
-S;lather on CYM then season with rub.
-Cook on high for 15 minutes (for the smoke with some pellets) and then low for the rest of the cook (IT around 200).
-Then FTC it until ready to eat (a couple of hours).

Is it lid up or lid down the entire cook (or a combination of both). I am figuring if I start it at 10 in the morning, then hopefully it is done around 2 (or no later than 4 I am guessing), and then it will get a minimum of 2 hours in the cooler.

Is that a basic understanding?
You got it.   Size of the butt counts so figure 4 hrs for a 5 to 6 lb butt  A 7lb + will go 5 +hrs .

Lid down entire cook and setting on low after you get the chips/pellets going. If you have a smoker box on the outside make sure to pull it and shake it once every 30 to 40 mins, this keeps the wood going better.

I have 114 butts cook now in infrared and except for the first few (learning curve) all have been cooked the same way

Make sure you trim the extra fat and then score it like a ham so you get more surface area for the fat to melt off
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »
Tommy is the best..!!!! Be sure to take some pictures of the cook.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:21:59 AM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »
Here is one I cooked for the North Alabama Gathering.

Just remember to add Apple juice when to pull it apart, really helps out the flavor 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Great looking PP Tommy.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline dms269

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
The butt is a 9 lb. er so I may need to start it a bit earlier. Kroger had them on sale and it was one of the smallest ones they had. It is bone in which should help with the flavor of the meat.

It does have the smoker box. I was also going to put the pellets around the tommy ring for extra smoke flavor.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
The butt is a 9 lb. er so I may need to start it a bit earlier. Kroger had them on sale and it was one of the smallest ones they had. It is bone in which should help with the flavor of the meat.

It does have the smoker box. I was also going to put the pellets around the tommy ring for extra smoke flavor.

Tommy's got you going, he's the best on the SRG. I put the pellets around the tommy ring instead of using the smoker box and Tommy got me going good on that when he told me to make sure to pour the pellets on the right side from the controllers where the flame is the hottest, that will give you really good smoke.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
If you have the Tommy ring it does add more smoke for sure. Like Saber said just make sure you add the chips/pellets just to the right of the controls, the flame is hottest at that point.  I would add enough pellets/chips to go from the control to almost the back.

See picture below. Make sure you give at least 15 min warm up on high lid down when smoking good then your ready to turn down to low 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline dms269

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
It was a great success. Sorry no pictures as I was running on around 4 hours of sleep that day.

I would have liked more smoke, but I fell asleep on the couch as soon as I turned it down to low. Didn't wake up for another hour and a half so I wasn't checking the smoke nearly as much as I should have. I would have likely made sure the smoke was rolling when I put in the butt next time as well.

Everyone raved about the bark on it.

For a 9-10 lb butt, I was really shocked that it only took 4 hours. I had trouble removing it form the chamber as it was falling apart (the bone came right out). It was still steaming when I unwrapped it from the ftc 4 hours later.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:50:15 PM »
It was a great success. Sorry no pictures as I was running on around 4 hours of sleep that day.

I would have liked more smoke, but I fell asleep on the couch as soon as I turned it down to low. Didn't wake up for another hour and a half so I wasn't checking the smoke nearly as much as I should have. I would have likely made sure the smoke was rolling when I put in the butt next time as well.

For a 9-10 lb butt, I was really shocked that it only took 4 hours. I had trouble removing it form the chamber as it was falling apart (the bone came right out). It was still steaming when I unwrapped it from the ftc 4 hours later.
I'm not  ;)  infrared butts cook fast
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline dms269

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »

I'm not  ;)  infrared butts cook fast

I was expecting 6 hours with one that size, especially considering it was still partially frozen.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:51 PM »
Believe it or not I cooked two 9 lb butts during a comp in 4 hrs using one SRG.  INFRARED cooks fast !

But remember every butt is different some go fast and some take a long time

Glad it worked for you  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:13 AM »
Great info,thanks.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.