Author Topic: Char Broil makes good on warranty......Almost.  (Read 4266 times)

Offline airberryblue

Char Broil makes good on warranty......Almost.
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
Today 2 very large boxs showed with parts to replace the ones that were dented and scratched from my brand new SRG.  A new top lid, outer body, cooking chamber, and heat sheild were contained in the 2 very large boxes, invoice also showed 3 of the foot kit, but they were not in the boxes.  This all comes about 2 months after receiving my new out of the box Char Broil Big Easy SRG.  I contacted them right away about the damaged parts letting them know something new from the factory should not have any parts looking like this.  The box had no damage so I know nothing happen in transit.  So tomorrow I call them back about the missing replacement legs. No one local carries the grill so it was ordered online, otherwise it would have been swapped out the first day.  I have enjoyed cooking with my smaller Big Easy, and really like the SRG, but not sure I would ever buy from Char Broil again based on customer service.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:26:55 PM by teesquare »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Char Broil makes good on warrenty......Almost.
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of your experience with  Char-Broil Customer Service. 
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline airberryblue

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
I was disappointed in them, but I still enjoy the grills I have.  I know several people who bought their Big Easy oil-less fryers because of me sharing info and food.  For those thinking about upgrading like I did, half of them have decided to wait or just stick with the small Big Easy.  When I recomend a product I share the good, bad and ughly so people know everything I do.  Customer service is very important.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
And - we absolutely agree that honesty about your experience with a product - and the manufacturer is valuable to all of us.  As long as the information is presented in a tasteful, factual and respectable manner  (which you have done, and I thank you for that... ;) ) then - we ALL benefit by it. Including the manufacturer.

I see too many "reviews" posted all over the internet that are nothing but an emotional rant ( and - we all feel that way about something occasionally ;D ) and not only are they difficult to read - but, you have to wonder if the truth of the matter was tainted by the person's anger amplifying the problem.

Kudos for reporting your experience, and - I hope that they get this straightened out for you.

T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
Sorry about your problem with their CS. Honestly I have always had very good CS from Charbroil, even though I have heard some horror stories. Enjoy that SRG !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline airberryblue

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Capt, after another call, I am told the missing parts of my order will be shipped out again.  Fingers are crossed.  I have done most of this via phone, however they did request photos of the damaged parts, which I sent moments after getting off the phone.  I received a confirmation email of receiving the photos and would get back with me as to how they would go forward, then a month later they closed the case saying they had not heard from me to receive the photos.  Another call with them they found the email that they had sent to me confirming the receiving of my pictures but nothing was followed up on except to close the case.  I am happy to finally receive the other parts and feel better the other missing ones are in order mode.  On a good note, my grill does cook even with the damaged parts so I have been able to enjoy some great food. I am pretty easy to make happy, so I know in the long run all the great meals to be cooked on my SRG will make this all fade away.

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
CS from CB has always been top notch for me.
Love to cook and eat

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
Ive heard enough about CB to make me leery of buying,like they dont last.Now this cS scares me.Is there a redeeming quality that makes them worth the negatives,or is it just Weber for quality?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
Re: Char Broil makes good on warranty......Almost.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »
Well...

I think it is fair to look at WHO Char-Broil is, and how they approach the market: They have never been thought of by the public - nor have they tried to promote themselves as the high price ( or highest quality ) leader. They do strive to  offer some innovative ideas, and lots of features - for the lowest price in their category.

So - it is fiscally impossible to offer the BEST product for the LOWEST price in a free market economy. ;) :)

This is not a defense of - nor a castigation of Char-Broil. They have a market strategy that has made them the largest producer of outdoor cooking equipment in the world.  So - it has worked for them. Having said that - we do see and hear mixed reviews of the customer service experience. I have personally had both extremes.

I look at the offerings from them - and when they suit my needs - I will buy a CB grill or product. Not because it is the greatest quality - it is not. Not because it is the cheapest - tho it usually is. Most often I buy a CB because the designs offer a feature that is not available on any other grill - at a price point that suits me. But...I always buy from Lowe's or Home Depot - knowing that if there is a problem, I can return it and get a replacement should it come out of the box incomplete or damaged.

T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
Ive heard enough about CB to make me leery of buying,like they dont last.Now this cS scares me.Is there a redeeming quality that makes them worth the negatives,or is it just Weber for quality?

spuds - the most unique thing that CharBroil builds is the SRG. no one offers anything like it. it will do cooks that no other appliance can do. whatever trouble you go through to get it set up is worth it. it is how I discovered infrared cooking. and how I discovered the CharBroil forum and met most of the folks on this message board. NOTHING cooks bird like an SRG!

when I cull down I may end up with just my SRG & my 22"OldSmokey. the grill attachment on the SRG is a great grill for quick grilling cooks. and if I need to grill more food I can always use the grill on the OldSmokey. and I do all my indirect cooks on the OldSmokey.

I love my SRG, it's become my go to for poultry, potato's, really most everything and with the grill it cooks most of our dinners now, at least 5-6 meals a week. I have only over cooked one thing on it and that was hanging chicken quarters that got dried out because I got distracted on the phone and left them on way to long. My Bradley's are now used primarily for cold smokes or something that I want to do low and slow.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
The SRG is a poultry cooking machine!!!!  Great for spuds too  ;D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »
Good info.So SRG is worth it.Now for a typical grill,others would be better choices if not looking for lowest entry point?

Thanks guys,its this info thats so helpful.

Ive really got to the point in life where I dont take lowest cost as main selling point,but value over long term is what matters. Like I can buy a 20 dollar hose that lasts 3-5 years,or a 50 dollar that lasts decades.

So SRG is a PBC thats gas powered pretty much? And  can you explain more on what infrared is vrs just heat on a cooker? Im not up to speed on that either.

THANK YOU for the education.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
Infrared works like light but at a different wave length and not visible unless with special equipment like FLIR. The wave length is what creates the variation in energy when it makes contact with an object like food. Infrared energy will travel through glass however. Certain glass it will not completely travel through. It depends on the composition of the glass.

When metal is heated it realeases infrared energy. And this is how the SRG works. The burner ring heats the interior drum of metal from the outside of it. Then the hot metal transfers infrared energy into the chamber. The air is also heated from the metal being hot. So you get a nice mix of infrared and hot air for cooking. The darker the metal the better the infrared energy that is released and also absorbed. Certain metals like aluminum can reflect that energy. So aluminum foil will block a majority of that energy.

The infrared energy is able to travel into the meat for quicker and more even cooking. Not just the surface is heated. Kind of like a microwave however a microwave is actually just agitating the water molecules creating heat. This kind of cooking creates very moist and delicious meat that finish in less time. And because it cooks internally the outside of the meat does not dry out before the interior is done. It does not heat the air but whatever object can absorb the wavelength. The sun for example is a huge source of infrared energy. We are too far from the sun to feel the actual heat being released but the infrared light is making contact with the earth and atmosphere creating heat.

There is one downside to using infrared. Any type of sugars that come into contact with infrared will burn quickly. So if you use a sugar based rub you will end up with a blackened bird.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
If you take care of them the will.    Had SRG's since they came out (mine was one of the first)  never had any issues until last week when the ignitor knob broke  :(  but I can still cook with it   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
muebe, that was a great explanation
Love to cook and eat