Author Topic: UMAi Mettwurst  (Read 2910 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: UMAi Mettwurst
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »
Rick:  I finally purchased the Umai kit to make this mettawurst.  Since you are the most experienced in this process, I have to ask a question on how long to cure the 50 mm casing in the refrigerator.  It looks like from your post that you had it in the refrigerator for about 10 days but said it could have been about a week longer.  From Umai instructions they say 4 weeks plus for 50 mm casings.  I also see the guide for the chub to decrease in weight about 40 %.  What is the best guide in your opinion for this step in the curing process?

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Re: UMAi Mettwurst
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
Rick:  I finally purchased the Umai kit to make this mettawurst.  Since you are the most experienced in this process, I have to ask a question on how long to cure the 50 mm casing in the refrigerator.  It looks like from your post that you had it in the refrigerator for about 10 days but said it could have been about a week longer.  From Umai instructions they say 4 weeks plus for 50 mm casings.  I also see the guide for the chub to decrease in weight about 40 %.  What is the best guide in your opinion for this step in the curing process?

You will need to ferment them 1st from 2-3 days in a room temp place. When they are kinda firm and you dont smell the fermentation put them on a rack or hang in fridge. I went from 10 days in the fridge to 18. Took them out of the UMAi 50mm and wrapped in brown paper bag, this got them to firm up. Look for 30-40% weight loss.

When in the fridge i go by feel, if they are soft they need more time, if getting firm i do the brown paper bag trick.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.