Author Topic: My new zoom/macro lens  (Read 2412 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
My new zoom/macro lens
« Reply #-1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Ever since I bought my Nikon D5100 DSLR camera I have wanted to get a all around zoom/macro lens. The one from Nikon was just way out of my price range. After reading reviews on this lens it seemed it was a 50/50 mix of I love it and I hate it. I ended up watching a few youtube vids on the lens some of the flaws they pointed out I could not see and the ones they point out where soon fixed in software. Now many a professional will tell you you should not have to spend your time fixing things in software. Hey thats all I have is time and I edit most of my pictures anyways.
So I ordered the  Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO Zoom Lens, for Nikon AF Digital SLRs with APS-C Sensors, USA - Bundle With 67MM Filter Kit (UV/CPL/ND2), Cleaning Kit, Capleash II. A high-performance, high-power zoom lens that delivers focal lengths extending from an unprecedented 16mm at the wide-angle end up to a long-range telephoto 300mm!
Incorporates PZD (Piezo Drive) and Tamron's exclusive VC (Vibration Compensation)system to further enhance the real-world performance of this next-generation "all-around lens", which makes taking photographs more convenient and enjoyable.

Went out in the back yard to just kick it over a bit before I actually read up on some of the settings  ;D
This should be a fun addition for taking pictures.

So out on the lawn is this lone dandelion.

A close up of the dandelion

A pesky house fly on the driveway curb

Mr. Grasshopper on the deck

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: My new zoom/macro lens
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
I suspect you're going to have a lot of fun with that lens - keep sending the results!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
And this is just the beginning of this addiction, trust me, my gadget bag has grown to the size of a suitcase that barely meets the size requirements for for carry-on luggage.

Great shot BTW, you're gonna love that new lens.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
Enjoy the new toy.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
Looks like a great lens SD !!! Nice shots!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
nice zoom! Hope the neighbors have curtains! :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
nice zoom! Hope the neighbors have curtains! :D :D :D

All of mine do, ever since I added the Tameron 200-400 with a 1.7X teleconverter to my collection.   And when I upgraded from my 35mm SLR to a digital SLR, my existing AF lens fit it with an increased focal length of another 50%.  That configuration makes that lens the equivalent of 1020mm focal length.

I could probably get a shot of Tommy's butts from all the way across town.  :P :P :P
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
Should make for great closeups of your cooks ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
And this is just the beginning of this addiction, trust me, my gadget bag has grown to the size of a suitcase that barely meets the size requirements for for carry-on luggage.

I agree, photography is like cooking in the sense you want the new toys to play with and keep the old ones cause you can't do without them  :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »

I agree, photography is like cooking in the sense you want the new toys to play with and keep the old ones cause you can't do without them :D

Ain't that the truth, I'm still hanging on to my 35mm film SLR and the remote flash for it.  Just cannot seem to part with them even though I know I'll never use them again.   ::)
----------------------

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »

I agree, photography is like cooking in the sense you want the new toys to play with and keep the old ones cause you can't do without them :D

Ain't that the truth, I'm still hanging on to my 35mm film SLR and the remote flash for it.  Just cannot seem to part with them even though I know I'll never use them again.   ::)
Yikes, I still have my old Mamiya 645 and Nikonos along with a very old Lieca - getting harder to find good film and developers - but hard to give up.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »

Yikes, I still have my old Mamiya 645 and Nikonos along with a very old Lieca - getting harder to find good film and developers - but hard to give up.

Yep, like having a woman that cooks, cleans fish, and has a boat - hard to give up.  :P
----------------------

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

With you on that.  I have a Pentax Z7 that had about 8 rolls run through it and even bought a $300 zoom flash (I call it that)  and now it's sitting in a closet  :(  My problem is when I by toys I  like to spend spend spend!   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

With you on that.  I have a Pentax Z7 that had about 8 rolls run through it and even bought a $300 zoom flash (I call it that)  and now it's sitting in a closet  :(  My problem is when I by toys I  like to spend spend spend!

I think that's a problem many of us have too, just look at our lists of cooking gear.  :P :P :P
----------------------