Author Topic: Scratched Paint  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Scratched Paint
« Reply #-1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
So while transporting the two WSMs to and from a contest, they must've been rubbing up against each other because I've got some scratches in the finish on the barrel and lid.  I read where some of you are talking about using some high heat paint on your PBCs and wonder if that would also work here.

I know the finish on the WSM is some other kind of coating, and paint won't replicate that surface, but I'm primarily concerned about keeping the actual metal from rusting.  I guess I'll just have to live with the battle scars.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Scratched Paint
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
So while transporting the two WSMs to and from a contest, they must've been rubbing up against each other because I've got some scratches in the finish on the barrel and lid.  I read where some of you are talking about using some high heat paint on your PBCs and wonder if that would also work here.

I know the finish on the WSM is some other kind of coating, and paint won't replicate that surface, but I'm primarily concerned about keeping the actual metal from rusting.  I guess I'll just have to live with the battle scars.

Battle scars are a sign that you are actually using your equipment.   ;)

BD
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
Thanks, LVC.

I don't mind the scars, just don't want to allow any rust to get a potential foothold on the Fat Boy ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
This is some pretty impressive stuff :   http://www.stovepaint.com/Products/Products.asp?id=24
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
Hey T,  that does look like great stuff, but, I was thinking more along the lines of:

or

Like I said, I know the finish won't be the same, but, hopefully, I will be able to keep the damage from acceleratnig to tthe point where I need to allow it to harden and the either machine, grind, file, or sand it and then buff it to a satin smooth finish.

I was also wondered if any LTBBQ member had previous experience painting a Weber and, if so, had any other suggestions on a specific product.

I didn't think about it, but I'll take some picture tonight and post them so you can see what I'm talking about.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »
I've used some "engine enamel" on a lid or two where some rust developed.  So far it hasn't blistered or peeled.  I put it on over the powder coat with just a little light sanding.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline DWard51

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
I also used high temp engine paint to touch up my WSM dome when I first got it in 2005.  Came with chips along the bottom edge.  Yes, Weber shipped me a new dome top, but it is still in the shipping box in the basement.  A little sanding, and hit it with the engine paint.  Two smokes later, with the buildup of smoke coating you could not even see were the chips used to be.

So x2 on engine paint.  It comes in gloss black which more closely matches the enamel that a flat black BBQ grill paint does.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »
driving up to the cabin w/ the big nasty in the back of my truck.  going up a hill doing 75 mph and the cover and the top section go flying out into the freeway.  bounce, crunch, bounce.  the top section was not round any more and scratched all to h#ll.  got out and a go walking back and a hwy patrol pulls over and turns his lights on blocks the one lane for me.  i get my top and cover out of the freeway and the cop tells me that is to bad.  he would hate that to happen to his 22 wsm.  get it back up to the cabin.  put it on the ground about flex it kinda round.  it fits.   ::)  it's still scratched and haven't rusted or nothing.  battle scars for all the ribs he has cooked perfectly.  i just couldn't get a new top section and break up the whole set.  the other sections would get their feeling hurt.  wouldn't be right.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:26 AM »
driving up to the cabin w/ the big nasty in the back of my truck.  going up a hill doing 75 mph and the cover and the top section go flying out into the freeway.  bounce, crunch, bounce.  the top section was not round any more and scratched all to h#ll.  got out and a go walking back and a hwy patrol pulls over and turns his lights on blocks the one lane for me.  i get my top and cover out of the freeway and the cop tells me that is to bad.  he would hate that to happen to his 22 wsm.  get it back up to the cabin.  put it on the ground about flex it kinda round.  it fits.   ::)  it's still scratched and haven't rusted or nothing.  battle scars for all the ribs he has cooked perfectly.  i just couldn't get a new top section and break up the whole set.  the other sections would get their feeling hurt.  wouldn't be right.   ;)

Great story sparky, love it.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »

Great story sparky, love it.  ;)

Same here.  I wouldn't even think of swapping out parts on Fat Boy!

As you can see, there isn't much damage, I just don't want any corrosion to develop, especially over the winter.

Guess I'll give the engine paint a try first.

Thanks for all of the input!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
Hey, maybe you can send it up to those boys in New York, the Orange County clan, they could paint some flames on it, add some chrome, and put a V-Twin in it.   You will have the worlds best looking and most expensive WSM.
:P :P :P
----------------------

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Yeah, if I sent it to Junior, he'd probably even add some diamond plate, like he did with the Coleman Portable Grill.

Then he'd want to charge me an extra $50 ! ! ! !
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna