Author Topic: Pit Barrel Cooker first cook'Tri-Tip  (Read 8841 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Pit Barrel Cooker first cook'Tri-Tip
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »
Started at 2:50 p.m. and lit the coals

Here they are hooked and rubbed down with Pork Barrel Cooker (PBC) meat and game pit rub

3:10 p.m. hung em in the PBC

About 10 minutes in you cant believe the wonderful aroma that this smoke has!!

40 minutes later it is 3:50 p.m. and off the PBC..checked the internal and they are 135 degrees!!

Wrapped in foil for 10 minutes and then time to slice em up!!

My Impressions:

As you all know I have had a bunch of cookers. Some better than others. This PBC worked exactly as promised. You light the coals and wait 20 minutes. Hang the meat, put on the lid, and walk away.
No looking at temps, no adjusting anything...just sit back and relax.
My neighbor Pam from across the street who is a big time smoker was over and she was given some slices of the meat to snack on and she has probably ordered her PBC by now after having a taste of the meat......ah the meat.........

ABSOLUTELY HANDS DOWN THE BEST DARN JUICY AND MOIST AND TASTY TRI=TIP I HAVE EVER COOKED IN MY LIFE!!

The PBC meat and galic pit rub is outstanding. The meat was evenly cooked and there was not one scorched or burn mark anywhere. I left extra fat on to test the pit out and there was no flame ups at all. The flavor was that wonderful old time pit flavor from the ghost fog created by the drippings splattering on the hot coals below. I haven't had tasted this flavor in the last 3 years since I sold my BDS.

Here is the kicker....no wood!!!!! Just the flavor from the Kingsford and the Pit rub and the ghost fog was more than enough. After I put this pit thru its paces with all the different  types of meat I might add a little wood but believe it or not it is not necessary.

I am absolutely blown away by the results of this cooker. If this was strictly a tri=tip cooker I would say to buy one immediately!! You can if you want to but you can wait cause I got more cooks coming up!!

Now you might think this might be new pit euphoria from a new cooker but lets put it this way:

All the meat is gone and I am on my way back to the market to grab another tri=tip....everyone wants more and I still got about 6 hours of life left out of the coals!!!! I am gonna grab some chickens and with the efficiency of this cooker I am gonna do em tomorrow right after work!! Gonna use the PB all-purpose pit rub!!

All in All I am absolutely blown away by this cooker. It worked today just like Noah promised me. I was freaking out a bit without any thermometer but the end results are just incredible!!!!

If you will excuse me now I gotta run to the store and put another tri=tip on!!!!! The flavor is just that good and I gotta have more.............riight now....I am even gonna miss the start of Hee Haw on TV!!!!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Pit Barrel Cooker first cook'Tri-Tip
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Looks good smoke and the results sound promising ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
Keep the updates coming. I am very interested in your thread. Great job. I want to start using charcoal. This may be the ticket.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
That is way cool.  My concern with this cooker was that the hook system was a bit awkward.  How did you find it to be?

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:19:57 AM »
Keep the updates coming. I am very interested in your thread. Great job.

Yeah, what Pappy said!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tatonka3a2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:30:35 AM »
WOW does that look excellent!!

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
The little tool that removes the hooks works quite well. I will practice a bit before I try to hang a turkey. Gonna talk to Noah later this morn and order more rub and ask about briskets butts and loins so I can show you guys and gals with this little magical barrel can do...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
smoke - thanks for the update. It sounds great! Lookingforward to hearing and seeing more.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
i wonder if he would sell the rebar and the hooks?  i like the hanging idea alot.  might want to try it w/ my ss drum. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »

One great looking cook and this picture says it all. 

Would one this a Set and Forget It Pit. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
The hanging set up will not work the same in your UDS Sparky.....oh it will work but your UDS would not cook the same as the PIt Barrel Cooker.

Give Noah and Amber a call or an e-mail and they can explain it for ya. This Barrel cooks differently than anything I have ever seen.....

Pit Barrel Cooker Co.
Email: sales@pitbarrelcooker.com
Phone: 303-249-9069
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
Just watched the videos, very impressive. Set it and forget it. Is there some sort of grease catching device at the bottom for the drippings that dont hit the charcoal? Im looking hard at this  ;)
MIKE
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
I just cleaned the barrel. The way the rebar is set up most of the drippings is in the charcoal. I did have a little grease and ash off to the side after I dumped the barrel and I just used an old paint scraper to knock it free. Dumped it again...used a paper towel on the side to get the ash real quick..didn't even take 5 minutes!!!!

I am doing a chicken cook today and that should be a good gauge of the clean up.....I will let you know about the clean up tomorrow....I have not found one thing to dis-like about this cooker so far!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
I just cleaned the barrel. The way the rebar is set up most of the drippings is in the charcoal. I did have a little grease and ash off to the side after I dumped the barrel and I just used an old paint scraper to knock it free. Dumped it again...used a paper towel on the side to get the ash real quick..didn't even take 5 minutes!!!!

I am doing a chicken cook today and that should be a good gauge of the clean up.....I will let you know about the clean up tomorrow....I have not found one thing to dis-like about this cooker so far!!!
Thats what I was the most curious about, chicken fat drippin down excessively possibly putting the charcoal out and or making a big azz mess at the bottom of the drum. Will be whatching for your update on the chicken. This thing looks great!
MIKE
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker