Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 70292 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
Scorching hot air that reaches over 2000 degrees (now that will start a fire)

How can it generate hot air at that temp before starting the fire?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »

That my friend is a question for MR.BBQ, hopefully he will give us an answer soon. I betcha Cliff could help us out on the Flashzone Ignitor.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Actually Cliff has a great video of the Flashfire Ignitor here in the MAK forum sponsor section that he shared with us when it first came out.

The ceramic ignitor is recessed and does not sit in the fire-pot. Air is passed over the ignitor getting your pellets started really fast.

I would like to point out that other manufactures have gone to ceramic ignitors. Yes they will last longer than the old steel ones but they still sit in the bottom of the fire-pot.

While these ignitors have a longer life span then the old steel rods, the ceramic rod in the Flashfire Ignitor system will last decades.

That, ladies and gentlemen is another reason why MAK is so much better than the competition.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »

That my friend is a question for MR.BBQ, hopefully he will give us an answer soon. I betcha Cliff could help us out on the Flashzone Ignitor.

Here you go, Jaxon  :)The New FlashFire (tm) Ignitor from MAK Grills
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
Thanks Cliff.  :)   
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline skidog

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Also, I believe the Flashfire has a lifetime guarantee So if it does ever fail you get a new one free. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
Also, I believe the Flashfire has a lifetime guarantee So if it does ever fail you get a new one free. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
Ya ever have those nights when everyone gets in late and you still have to cook supper?

We have a bunch of those lately. Wendy stays late at the clinic and we fired a cook a couple of weeks ago and the hospital won't hire anyone right now because they hired a new director so we are scrambling at the kitchen.

Can't light up the charcoal grill....it's too late. Could fire up the gas grill....but why would you want to do that????

Not when you have a MAK!!!

Opened up some canned taters,yellow onion and green peppers and sliced up some Slovaceks sausage right quick.

This cook the MAK is set up with both griddles!!
Tossed in the tater/pepper/onion mixture to get supper started

Added the sausage (I usually like to cut em up smaller but it was getting late)

A little yellow mustard on the sausage and lets get grubbing

So as you can see, you do not have to be home all day and have nothing to do to use your MAK Grill.
You can come home late and the MAK will handle everything.

I really feel that if you purchase a MAK 1 Star or 2 Star the extra accessories are a must.

Yes, it is more money but it makes your MAK so versatile you will get your money back in spades. Just keep watching the review for proof.

Now there is a slight drawback to using the griddle or the searing grate.

With the lid open more, the Pellet Boss will be dropping more pellets. That means initial smoke hitting you in the face when cooking.

Just get some longer tongs and step back a bit.

Beacause I have found I am getting a wonderful lightly smoked profile to my grilled foods. Well worth the extra smoke my friends  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
I bet that was good Smoke!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:10 AM »
A perfect weeknight meal...nicely done :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
 it is really great to see you and Wendy enjoying your new toy. Some good looking cooks are coming out of that new toy.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
Well, I have lived in Texas for about 7 months and I have not done a brisket yet!!!!! I feel I can't be considered a Texan until I get a brisket cook done.

Lets do a brisket on the MAK. Well, just the point. I separated the flat and put it in the crock-pot. We will shred that and use it for French dips and Texas Chili.......

Now before we get into the cook, here are a few more things about the MAK that need mentioning.....considering I have used one of the items for the first time.

Now you can have a 500 lb 1/4 inch thick metal pellet grill or a cheaply stamped 16 gauge Chinese made pellet grill, but one thing is for certain...................

Your pellet grill is only as good as the controller it has.

The MAK Pellet Boss was created in-house specifically for use in MAK grills.

Now I have to admit I am a simple man in a high tech world and I have found (so-far) that the Pellet Boss is real user friendly to use.
They also include three ports for your temperature/meat probes

You do get one included with your purchase, you can purchase others off of the MAK web-site

Now this is really cool: when your grill is on it will read your set temperature and then show the actual grill temperature.
When you plug your meat probe in (does not matter if it is in port 1,2 or 3) it will also show the reading from that probe and even tell you what probe # port it is plugged into!!!!!

Now, how do you get the probe wire into the grill? Don't you hate having to gently close your door so you do not crush the probe wire??
MAK has got you covered.
On the left side of the grill when you open the lid fully, you will see a "mouse hole"  (MAK calls it that in the manual) that you run your wire through. Don't worry, it is plenty big enough to run all the probe wires through that you are using.

OK, back to the brisket.
We were going to do an overnight cook but we had the heavens open up on us hard so I got up early the next morning to put the brisket on.
Again, I went with this set up, using the 3/4 cooking grate on the top to hold the point with a grease tray below

seasoned the point with a little cym and MAKs chipotle and mesquite rub

I went 225 for about 9 hours, plenty of "clean" smoke throughout the cook. Wrapped in foil and into the oven at 250 degrees. When a toothpick pulled in and out cleanly like butter the point rested for about 2 hours

Now aint that purdy?

Sliced the point into 1/4 thick slices.......dontcha just love that MAK smoke ring?

Then cubed some up and sauced em up with MAKS smokin hickory sauce and did some burnt ends!!

Mmmmmmmm........beefy candy nuggets :)

So has the MAK performed so far? This is a high performance smoking and grilling machine hands down. I work in a kitchen cafeteria and am around some pretty sweet equipment and the MAK would fit right in.

I have cooked on about 7 different pellet grills from different manufacturers and the MAK  really needs to be experienced to truly know what a superior wood pellet grill and smoker it is. I don't feel words can express the quality and performance you get from being there.........It is that good.

See you soon and I sure hope I am doing good so far on this review.  :)  I know the review has been extremely positive, I just have found nothing wrong so far on this marvelous machine, MAK really has thought things out on their products and it shows.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »
Lookingn real goos Smoke!   Wished I had some of that brisket :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
Beautiful looking briskie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Nicely done!!  Brisket in Texas and Trisket in California. Have you ever heard of a Trisket? I am ashamed to say, I have lived in CA all my life and have yet to cook one.