FORUM SPONSORS > Adrenaline Barbecue Co.

Adding Charcoal

(1/2) > >>

ClimberDave:
This weekend I plan to smoke a brisket  and may use my SnS.

Just curious  how and when do you add additional charcoal??

Do you light it in a chimney and add it or do you  put it in unlit? 

Thanks

sparky:
I did a chuckie last week on my 26.  After 7-8 hours I just moved all the lite charcoal to the far side and added unlit to fill the entire SNS.  Keep going for another 4 hours until I hit 205° on the chuckie.  There was a lot of ash (KBB).  I will only use weber charcoal for long cooks from now on.  A lot less ash. 

TentHunteR:
While I don't have a SnS, for years I did plenty of low & slow indirect cooks on a Weber with charcoal held off to one side (same basic idea as a Slow n Sear). 

Of course there are different takes on this, but here's mine:

I never liked adding unlit regular charcoal briquettes to a cook already going on because regular briquettes have binders and clay that don't burn cleanly until they are completely lit (ashed over).  I just don't like the flavor it gives.  This is also why I never cared for the Minion method.

For long cooks, I always preferred to light another partial chimney and add it after it was completely lit and ashed over.  You can cover the food with foil to keep ash off while doing this.  Put the lid back on and adjust the vents for temperature accordingly.

Again, I am talking about REGULAR charcoal briquettes here.   If you're using lump or competition briquettes, which don't have the binders, then that's a completely different story. They burn much cleaner.

At any rate, that's my 2¢... 

cookiecdcmk:
Tent:  I am glad to see your comments.  Using unlit charcoal was always my concern, because I always saw the dark smoke when first starting my charcoal in a chimney.  I never used unlit charcoal so I do not know how it would effect the taste.  But I still see many people using this method, with apparent good results, but still am wondering?

Pappymn:
Good topic. I think I've been doing it wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version