Author Topic: 2 star mak out of stock ?  (Read 5729 times)

Offline Fullplate

2 star mak out of stock ?
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
Went to mak website to put a list together with prices and it says out of stock stay tuned for newest 2 star. Wonder what there doing. I’d have thought maybe price increase but does anyone have an idea?

Offline retfr8flyr

Re: 2 star mak out of stock ?
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:56:08 PM »
I read they had a big sale on all the 2017-2018 stock and were coming out with a new version for 2019. I don't know what the price of the new 2 Star will be but they were discounting the older one $500.
Earl
Grills are Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn, Akorn Jr. and  Camp Chef Flat Top 600 griddle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:58 PM »
The 2018 models are still available. You need to call MAK directly or you can order through BPS. Lowest pricing I have ever seen on MAKs!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Fullplate

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:03 AM »
I will wait for newest version. Maybe I can talk my wife in getting one earlier. Hmmm

Where did you guys hear they were coming out with new one? Just curious cause I checked website like a month ago and nothing.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:53:13 AM »
I will wait for newest version. Maybe I can talk my wife in getting one earlier. Hmmm

Where did you guys hear they were coming out with new one? Just curious cause I checked website like a month ago and nothing.
Spoke with Bob Tucker (owner) and it says it right on their website :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline victor3atp

• What's with the Negative Waves, Moriarty?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »
Happened to call Mak on Friday and was quickly briefed on the 2019 models. They are moving to generic (e.g., Thermoworks, etc.) K-Type probes which can be moved around inside the unit & are less expensive to replace. The probes will connect to an upgraded Pellet Boss providing better temperature control. Evidently, upgrade kits will be made available for older units. They are also adding two more top rack slots, one above and one below the existing position. (Sounded like this is mainly to accommodate jerky and such.) He also mentioned something about the hopper lid and a bracket being re-designed to help preclude pellet moisture contamination in high-humidity environments, but I didn't pay too much attention since that's not an issue around here. The price will increase $100.

If you don't think you'll need the additional racks and aren't concerned about pellet moisture contamination, at $600 less than a 2019, a 2018 model may very well suit your needs. Temp control on my 2017 is more than adequate and I use a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor grate & meat temps anyway. Might suggest checking in with Mak to better clarify the differences.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:50:59 AM by victor3atp »
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470
Sutherland (aka Oddball) Looks Like Me – 40 Years Ago...

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »
Thanks for your post, Victor3atp! Just wanted to add a little bit of clarification. All MAK Grills have an industrial thermo-couple that measures the internal temperature of the grill; in the new models, this will be a roaming thermo-couple, meaning that it can be moved to any location inside the cooking chamber to get precise temp readings. The K-style meat probes, which will replace the M4 meat probes on the current models, measure the internal temperature of the meat you're cooking. There will be ports for three K-style probes on the Pellet Boss controller. Hope that helps!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
Kinda off subject, but does MAK use the same controllers at the Pit Boss Pellet grills?  From what I have read before, MAK uses one of the best controllers out there.

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
Kinda off subject, but does MAK use the same controllers at the Pit Boss Pellet grills?  From what I have read before, MAK uses one of the best controllers out there.
Hi Cookie! The MAK controller is made in Scio, OR by a company called Innovative, exclusively for MAK Grills. The algorithm that governs the controller is developed in-house by MAK engineers and programmers. No other pellet grill on the market uses the same controller or logic found in a MAK Grills Pellet Boss controller.

Most pellet grill controllers run on a timed sequence, meaning that they maintain temperatures by running the auger for a set time, then shutting it off, then running it, etc. The MAK controller responds in real time to the thermocouple readings, so that the auger runs as needed and not on a set schedule.
MAK 2-Star General

Offline victor3atp

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:36:13 PM »
Yo' Pacman. You sure seem to know an awful lot about the upgraded units. Please offer as much clarification as possible, as I just got a quick briefing and certainly didn't intend to come off as an expert on the subject. I presume you must work for Mak? (Your being from Northwest Oregon might offer a clue, eh?) If so, any chance you can clarify all the 2019 upgrades and an upgrade path for older units? (e.g., will a Pellet Boss replacement be required to accommodate the new K-style probes?)

Dennis mentioned the new probes will provide "tighter" temp control, but the +/- 10° I see ain't too bad to start with, so how much tighter are we talking about? In my case, just wondering if the upgrade cost would be worth it...
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
I did test the newer software with the roaming probe. The new software produces even more smoke then before. The roaming probe is just another cool feature for MAK. Plus it is easier to clean when you need to do that. The new temp probes will be a nice touch. I have been using a Fireboard with all my pits including the MAK. The new features will be nice. The temp probes are a nice improvement when using the Pellet Boss.

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
Are there any other probes that will work with the pellet boss? I got one with my purchase but it only worked for a few months.

Would be nice to be able to replace with a more affordable option.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 03:40:20 PM »
Are there any other probes that will work with the pellet boss? I got one with my purchase but it only worked for a few months.

Would be nice to be able to replace with a more affordable option.
If it is that new Mak will replace it I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
Yo' Pacman. You sure seem to know an awful lot about the upgraded units. Please offer as much clarification as possible, as I just got a quick briefing and certainly didn't intend to come off as an expert on the subject. I presume you must work for Mak? (Your being from Northwest Oregon might offer a clue, eh?) If so, any chance you can clarify all the 2019 upgrades and an upgrade path for older units? (e.g., will a Pellet Boss replacement be required to accommodate the new K-style probes?)

Dennis mentioned the new probes will provide "tighter" temp control, but the +/- 10° I see ain't too bad to start with, so how much tighter are we talking about? In my case, just wondering if the upgrade cost would be worth it...
Hi Victor, I do indeed work for MAK. Also, I live about 60 miles from the original Animal House, so there's that. :) We will be rolling out a full change list on the new models within the next month or so. What I can say is that all the upgrades will be available for older models with the exception of the extra brackets for more upper racks on the 2-Star. You will need a new Pellet Boss to accommodate the K-style probes. As for the other upgrades, you did a great job listing them out! We've also updated the firmware on the controller, and added a few structural updates. If anyone wants more info, feel free to give us a call, we'd love to chat. We're in the office Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
MAK 2-Star General

Offline victor3atp

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
Very much appreciate the update Pac Man! Please keep 'em coming...
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470