Author Topic: Rib on a Rack  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Over Dunn

Rib on a Rack
« Reply #-1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
Got some St. Louis cuts on sale for $2.99 per pound at Krogers, so I bought a few to practice on ye olde barrel. Used my Mini Hasty Bake rack (Top of the line, for my 2$). 45 minutes, then inverted for 45 more. Out of the rack onto the grill for sauce and 15 more minutes. Not bad! Good competition pull. Will wrap with honey and brown sugar, next time, for 20 minutes, before saucing. As you Q'ers know or suspect, back yard bites aren't the same as judge bites, when you're after fame, fortune and Myron's blessing!  ;) :P

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:21:21 PM by Over Dunn »
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Re: Rib on a Rack
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Looks great! Thats my next venture, doing some ribs in the PBC instead of the Traeger.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
The rib rack looks kind of like the one that MAK sells too: http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=6&=SID#MOREINFO but yours looks longer - like it!

And THIS>>>>>>> and Myron's blessing! Is never on my radar....that guy is not "family friendly"...in fact - I don't even think he is "human friendly" :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
Those Ribs look superb!!

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:43:11 AM »
The rib rack looks kind of like the one that MAK sells too: http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=6&=SID#MOREINFO but yours looks longer - like it!

And THIS>>>>>>> and Myron's blessing! Is never on my radar....that guy is not "family friendly"...in fact - I don't even think he is "human friendly" :D :D :D

Foul mouth Mixon, I love the guy!! Heck, I loved Cassius Clay the first time I heard him! Won lots of bets on him. Mixon's book is a hoot.  My cooking partner, Billy Merrill, is going to be on BBQ Pitmasters, Sunday night, at 9 PM, and he told me Myron was a straight up guy.  ;D

That Hasty Bake rack is the small one. Google them up for a direct buy. I've had a few different racks, but Hasty's my favorite. Happy Queing, world!   :-*  OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Ribs look OD! Keep doing your research so we can benefit from it ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Hey Art,

Why did you do the ribs down on the grid instead of hanging them?  I just got my PBC unpacked the other day and haven't cooked on it yet. Have a rib recipe in mind using a new rub I've been working on.

BTW Myron's TV personality is somewhat contrived (but not totally).  He's edgy and has a big ego but isn't a bad guy -- that's "reality TV" at its worst.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
Looking forward to your first go round with the PBC Hub!!  Art, your ribs look great...not unlike your first ones!!! Looks like you got the PBC nailed!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
Hey Art,

Why did you do the ribs down on the grid instead of hanging them?  I just got my PBC unpacked the other day and haven't cooked on it yet. Have a rib recipe in mind using a new rub I've been working on.

BTW Myron's TV personality is somewhat contrived (but not totally).  He's edgy and has a big ego but isn't a bad guy -- that's "reality TV" at its worst.

Hub

Burnt the juice out of them, the first time I hung a full rack. Split a couple of racks of Sam's loin packs on the hangers and they came out good, but needed to cook longer. Like the full rack on the grill, so I can gauge color and bend test. Also, I, usually, wrap ribs for competition. I can get three Louie slabs on that Hasty Bake, easily, and I only need six pieces for the box. Tried this latest sans wood chunks.(Used peach, previously) Tasted great with no "Burp BBQ" aftertaste.  You know, I never thought I would ever be using Kingsford and go juice, but they work on this PBC! :-\ Come cook with us at King's Mountain in April!

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »

Burnt the juice out of them, the first time I hung a full rack. Split a couple of racks of Sam's loin packs on the hangers and they came out good, but needed to cook longer. Like the full rack on the grill, so I can gauge color and bend test. Also, I, usually, wrap ribs for competition. I can get three Louie slabs on that Hasty Bake, easily, and I only need six pieces for the box. Tried this latest sans wood chunks.(Used peach, previously) Tasted great with no "Burp BBQ" aftertaste.  You know, I never thought I would ever be using Kingsford and go juice, but they work on this PBC! :-\ Come cook with us at King's Mountain in April!

OD

Did my first two racks of ribs on the PBC yesterday.  Flavor and tenderness were good at 3.5 hrs. but my new rub charred to an ugly black color.  Also, some were dry.  I'm going to keep experimenting, though.  I know there's a way to do good ribs at 300 degrees, I've just got to find it.

Kings Mountain is in my back yard.  Haven't heard anything from Billy.  Are we on?

Hub

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:54:52 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Rib on a Rack
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
For high temp rubs cut back on sugar & paprika
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I have found when I remove my ribs to sauce them for the last hour, I will leave the ribs out for a bit longer so the PBC can come back down in temp with the lid on. I have found that I have become pretty darn good at using the hook lift tool and I can get food out of there fast. That is real helpful cause when that lid comes off you get a bunch of air drawn in that barrel and the coals can really take off on ya!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »
Garsh, it looks like it was made for that Pit!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »

Kings Mountain is in my back yard.  Haven't heard anything from Billy.  Are we on?

Hub

Yes! Top of our list, according to Billy. I'll touch base with him to confirm. ;)  OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker