Author Topic: Turkey  (Read 12568 times)

Offline tn_5568

Turkey
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
How much turkey has everyone hung in the pbc at once?  I have done 2 turkeys in the pbc now for several years. I just got some free butterballs that have never been thawed but they weigh 20 lbs apiece. I plan to take them out to the pbc still in the bag to see if they will even fit but anyone else done this much at once?

Offline AndyL

Re: Turkey
« on: November 23, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
Following this one......

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 12:09:15 AM »
I've done a 20 pounder before, think you're gonna be hard pressed to get 2 in there! Plus not sure the coals are gonna keep lit with 2 dripping on them. Interested to follow though.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline AndyL

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »
Plus not sure the coals are gonna keep lit with 2 dripping on them.

Agreed Mike. I haven't done a Turkey in the PBC yet, but I've had it stuffed with various types and sizes of other meat and poultry and learned from my mistakes. The drippings play a huge factor with trying to keep your coals lit. With a full load of meat you also have to factor that you'll use more charcoal to compensate for the drop in internal temp. Which in turn cuts down on how long you can get out of a charcoal basket for longer cooks. It's a definite Catch-22 situation in that regard alright.

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
I may have to do them separate and get the timing right letting 1 one rest in a cooler. My other smoker will be tied up with a full packer brisket

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
I've done our Thanksgiving turkey in my PBC for about the last five years or so.  The smallest was around eleven pounds and the largest about sixteen.  I have noticed that the size DOES make a difference in cooking time and that it pays to go back and review Noah's video on the subject just to brush up on the fine details.

My results have always been superb and the PBC always comes through as a wonderful bird cooker.  I'm counting on it one more time.

I got an e-mail from Pit Barrel advertising a deal on two hangers but given the mass of the birds and the inability to re-stoke the fire in a PBC I'm not going to try it, even with two smaller turkeys.  Like some others I'll be watching here to see how a two-turkey cook goes but I'm not going to risk it when I've got a dining room full of people to feed.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN