Author Topic: Beef Dino Ribs troubleshooting  (Read 8004 times)

Offline PhilW

Beef Dino Ribs troubleshooting
« Reply #-1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
So for my first run with my PBC, I went with a rack of dino beef ribs. My PBC runs on the hotter side, 290-330. I have a ThermoPro. I hung the ribs and wrapped them around 165° IT in pink butcher paper.
Put em in the grate until IT hit 203°. Probe seemed like it was sliding in and out pretty easily.
Put em to rest in a cold warming drawer oven for about 45-60 minutes.
Ribs had a beautiful smoke ring and meat was super juicy but still chewy. Meat was not melting in my mouth like when plate rib meat is cooked long in a crock pot.
In the past, almost all my beef has been done by 203. My briskets are usually 195, any more and they're dry.
What does everyone think? Is it the faster cook? Does it require a higher finishing temp? Should I have thrown some liquid in to braise them?
Any and all input is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

(I saw in the rules that embedded photos are preferred over attached. If s/o could explain how to embed a photo, I'll gladly post a pic of a cut rib.)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Beef Dino Ribs troubleshooting
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:12:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum first off!

I don't own a Pit Barrel but there are a lot here that do and you will get help soon!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
Could be the faster cook time.

I do beef ribs all the time and I go 225 for 7-8 hours      I wrap in foil with some beer and salt tossed in.  I rest for one hour.

I only use my PBC for chicken these days
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
I'm with Smoke, I don't use my PBC for low and slow cooks anymore, mostly chicken and sometimes pork ribs, but when the PBC was my primary cooker, I used to do low and slow by controlling my temps with bits of aluminum foil wrapped around the rebar holes. It took a bit of tweaking and an accurate digital thermometer within the cooking chamber, but I could dial in pit temps of around 250 for hours at a time.

My guess is the higher temps and quicker cooking time could be part of the issue, and as we all learn, beef isn't done until it's done. Maybe wrapping with some liquid and finishing the cook on the cooking grate might be an alternative?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle