Author Topic: Your Favorite PBC Whole Turkey Breast Recipe / Method ?  (Read 7324 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Your Favorite PBC Whole Turkey Breast Recipe / Method ?
« Reply #-1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
I decided to try a whole turkey breast in the PBC (who doesn't like cold , smoked turkey breast sandwiches) ? ... What is your favorite method to cook whole turkey breast (bone in) on the PBC :

1) Apply rub only ?
2) Inject with a liquids ?
3) Wet Brine ?
4) Dry brine ?
5) Other ?

*Most grocery store name whole bone - in turkey breasts (which are frozen) contain some sort of % of  brine solution already , so not sure if any of the above methods (except dry rub) are necessary ?
*Also what kind of smoking wood (if any) do you like to add to the PBC for whole bone - in turkey breast ? ... Thanks in advance !

Offline ChrisD46

Re: Your Favorite PBC Whole Turkey Breast Recipe / Method ?
« on: February 28, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »
I decided to try a whole turkey breast in the PBC (who doesn't like cold , smoked turkey breast sandwiches) ? ... What is your favorite method to cook whole turkey breast (bone in) on the PBC :

1) Apply rub only ?
2) Inject with a liquids ?
3) Wet Brine ?
4) Dry brine ?
5) Other ?

*Most grocery store name whole bone - in turkey breasts (which are frozen) contain some sort of % of  brine solution already , so not sure if any of the above methods (except dry rub) are necessary ?

**No takers ?? ... OK , how about WHOLE turkey then with the above ?
*Also what kind of smoking wood (if any) do you like to add to the PBC for whole bone - in turkey breast ? ... Thanks in advance !

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:37 AM »
As you said most come brined already, I would just rub it and let sit in the fridge overnight before throwing it on the PBC.  I've never done one, and really not much of a turkey fan, but I like cherry wood with almost anything I smoke.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
I am a simple guy. I love turkey but like it with just Salt & pepper, The smoked Turkey is not my favorite but turkey I like in the oven or big easy
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 03:23:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies - too many brine recommendations fail to take into consideration that the meat comes pre-packaged in a brine solution (of varying levels) . Thus a poultry rub on the outside and then place the turkey in the fridge over night looks to be the best bet . Research indicates Cherry , Apple and Maple are the best smoking woods and unlike chicken -- turkey meat can stand up to stronger smoking woods such as Hickory . I do not care much for hot , smoked turkey meat - but after cooking and sitting in the fridge covered over night there are few things better than cold , sliced , smoked turkey sandwiches !

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
I have smoked turkey breasts once on my PBC a few years back.

I wet brined for 3-4 hours  with just salt and water.  They came from a whole turkey that was not pre-brined.

Seasoned with  just pepper and a little salt and smoked with a little apple wood.

They came out pretty good, made a sandwich  which was good but the turkey was a  wee bit dry.

Diced it  up and made turkey salad with the rest which was quite good
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »
I have a hard time making turkey breast moist.  I have brined, injected, and used Mayo on it, but it still is somewhat dry.  I was at the Hard 8 BBQ in Dallas, and their turkey was the best and most moist that I have eaten.  I tried to find out how they do it, but they just offered to sell me some on line.  Brining helps but it is not good as the Hard 8.  Still looking.