Author Topic: Butterfiled Pork Shoulder  (Read 6832 times)

Offline rcrabb22

Butterfiled Pork Shoulder
« Reply #-1 on: August 02, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
In a recent email advertisement from Thermoworks Martin Earl presented an article about de-boning and butterflying a pork shoulder.  He suggested he could turn a 12 hour cook into 4 -5 hour cook tender enough to shred into pulled pork.  He also added the increased surface area created by this method increases smoke penetration as well a greater amount of bark.  His complete article is available on the thermoworks.com website.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with or compensated by Thermoworks, PBC, Amazing Ribs or Martin Earl.

I tried this method yesterday on my PBC with a 6.2 lb shoulder and I reproduced his results. I removed the bone and butterflied the meat into 1 longer piece.  I used the grill grate for the cook.  My pit temperature was pretty steady at 260F.   I seasoned with salt, pepper and AmazingRibs.com Memphis Dust rub.  I used a combo of cherry wood and and a smaller hickory wood chunk.  The thickest part of the port shoulder reached 160F in about 2 hours and I wrapped in foil with apple cider and the pork was at 203F in another 2 hours.  I let it rest, still wrapped, in my oven @ 185F for a little over an hour.  I started the cook @ 1:00 pm and we were sitting at the table @ 6:30 pm.  It was a very good meal and we have (2) 1lb vacuum sealed portions in our freezer for another 2 dinners.
Weber Kettle
PBC
Kitchen aide NG (not that happy with it
should have bought a Weber)
Thermapen MK4
ThermoWorks Smoke
Kal Clone Electric Brewery (theelectricbrewery.com)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Butterfiled Pork Shoulder
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
we've been looking for a way to cook a pork roast.  Thanks for the post.  I'll check it out.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »
we've been looking for a way to cook a pork roast.

I use this basic method if I want to smoke-roast pork.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:10:09 PM »
Next time you do this cook we would sure like to see some pictures of the process.

sounds like a winner  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32