Author Topic: Beef Chuck Short Rib's on the PK Grill  (Read 5984 times)

Offline 6Baluts

Beef Chuck Short Rib's on the PK Grill
« Reply #-1 on: November 12, 2021, 09:30:54 PM »
- Well, I woke up on Veterans Day and wanted to cook some Beef Short Ribs.  So, I rolled my old trusty PK Grill out of the garage.  This grill is about 15 yrs old and has become my 'Go To" grill for beef ribs since I gave away my KBQ.  Really only additions I have added to this grill was about 6 years ago I bought the Little More and Cook More grids.  Additionally, 2 years ago I added a Burn Shop charcoal basket.
- I dropped 22 B&B briquets into the fire basket with the divider set on for the lack of a better term the 3rd detent. Added 3 small chunks of Post Oak. Dropped a disposable drip tray in the far end of the charcoal basket opposite the divider. I then added 8 briquets to my chimney starter and lit fires.
- Once the coals ashed over somewhat I emptied the chimney starter into the fire basket.  Placed the main grate in the cooker, followed by rack of 4 bones and then added the Little More grid followed by the second rack of 4 bones.
- Shut the clam shell and strapped in for the ride.  Weather was pretty decent, not cold in the 70's and very little wind.  I did have a disposable drip pan on the shelf with a rock in it in case the wind kicked up or stray ash/ember drops out.
- Cooker settled in around 240 degrees was shooting for 250 but did not want to futz with it so I let it ride.
- At the 3 hour point a I took a looksee and did the rib shuffle.  Had plenty of coal and passed on adding any briqs.  Continued to cook.
- At the 6 hour point I probed with a toothpick...not ready.  Still plenty of coal will just power through.
- 7 hours passed still not their but close probed with toothpick and thermo.  Thermo read 194.  Pressed on.
- At almost 8 hours we have success and the ribs come off the cooker and I closed the vents.
- Ribs were darn good.  Will try adding picture tomorrow, technology is not my strong suit.
- Day after cleanup coal wise still had 2 unburned and untouched briqs and about 6 partially burned briqs.  Fire through the whole cook was pretty much 240 deg, temp did fluctuate a bit when I sniffed around inside the cooker.
- Been a big fan of B&B briqs and for that matter their Char Logs and their lump for years.

Break Break
@pmillen I looked at your shelf ash/ember catcher.  I got well I should say had ash/ember catcher envy to the MAX.  So, I drove my gumpy rear end over to TSC and picked up the tub, price is 14.99 and fits like a glove.  Presently resting on the shelf ready for tomorrows cook which is going to be a repeat performance of 2x4 Beef Chuck Short Ribs.  I want to thank you for your post, your idea is/was much safer than my hillbilly variant.
Kikuya Hibatchi Pot
2LBGE's, MBGE, SBGE
Primo XL
AOG
Holland Grills (Pinnacle, Classic, Companion)
Phoenix Grills (PG2001-P, SPG2001-P)
Weber Genesis 3000 Red Hat aka "Peg"--Al is at MIL's
Weber Kettle 22"
Hastybake Gourmet 257
PK Grill
Woodflame Delecto

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Beef Chuck Short Rib's on the PK Grill
« on: November 13, 2021, 11:42:14 AM »
 :)

The ember catcher sits high and makes it a bit more difficult to adjust the bottom vents but it doesn't miss anything dropping out.  That provides peace of mind if it's sitting on a wooden deck.

EDIT:  I'm curious.  Your Username—Did you eat 6 baluts?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline 6Baluts

Re: Beef Chuck Short Rib's on the PK Grill
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »
Not sure if the Big Joe has an ash stirrer/grid lifter like the BGE if so it works great for adjuting the vents with the tub ash/ember catcher. In fact using it today for the second go around. Quite breezy on the right coast today and the height of that catcher is great. Wind having zero effect on the PK it is motoring along at 255°F.
6 Baluts came about because I have 6 ceramic cookers though not all egg's..
Be Safe!
Kikuya Hibatchi Pot
2LBGE's, MBGE, SBGE
Primo XL
AOG
Holland Grills (Pinnacle, Classic, Companion)
Phoenix Grills (PG2001-P, SPG2001-P)
Weber Genesis 3000 Red Hat aka "Peg"--Al is at MIL's
Weber Kettle 22"
Hastybake Gourmet 257
PK Grill
Woodflame Delecto