Author Topic: Backyard Bird Watching & Photography  (Read 8495 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Backyard Bird Watching & Photography
« Reply #-1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Backyard bird watching and photography

We have lived in our home since 1973 so this will be our 40th year. I don’t remember exactly but it was within a few years I started feeding the birds. When we first moved in there were just empty fields behind us and we had a lot of turtle doves. One time I counted a hundred setting on the electrical lines.

I went through a lot of feeders and first just fed a song bird mix. I had black birds and starlings coming in and read that any mix containing corn would attract undesirable birds. It recommended just feeding black oil sunflower seeds. I started using it and just put out a one pound coffee can full every day and I get all kinds of birds. One day in just two hours I counted 13 different species.

One day a friend at work told about feeding hummingbirds so I started that. I have been feeding them for over 20 years and they are a wonder to watch. East of the Mississippi River only gets the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds during the summer. They migrate here from Central America flying across the Gulf of Mexico or coming up the coast of Texas.

I always liked photography so it wasn’t long till I started taking bird photos. The hummingbirds are the hardest bird to photograph for me. Their wings beat up to 55 times per second. Even with a good camera the wings will appear as a blur, the only time you get the wings stopped is when they are full back or forward at the time of photographing. To stop their wings you need an expensive strobe flash that synchronizes with the camera. The little guys only weigh from 2 to 6 g (0.071 to 0.21 oz.). They are the only bird that can fly backwards.

It is easy to get photos of the different birds at the feeder; but harder to get good photos of them in a more natural setting in a backyard. Hummers are the hardest to catch good photos of, for them I find even with my 300MM lens I have to be about 10 feet or closer and have good bright sun. Using my Olympus E620 I shoot in the sports mode, it gives me a small aperture opening and a fast speed.  I can also shoot in burst mode taking about 3 frames per second.

My workshop gives me a good blind to shoot from the windows and I have one feeder for the hummers I hang in the window with a suction cup holder. Another window gives me some good shots in a Lilac bush. I usually set my camera on a tripod trained on the hummer feeder and have set 3 hours before for one shot. Getting older I don’t have the patience to set long anymore.

The best feeders I have found I get from The Humming Bird Store out of Texas. They are a small family owned business. Their feeders are easy to clean and last well. Steve is using one of my photos in the short slide show on his site. He lets all on his mailing list know when the hummers first arrive on the shores of Texas every spring.

Link to the Hummingbird Store http://www.thehummingbirdstore.com/

The best hummingbird photographer I know of is Russ Thompson from Louisville KY. On his site Enjoyable Hummingbirds he has great still shots and videos some show him feeding hummers by hand and from his hand. Be sure and visit his site.

Link to Russ’s site http://rthompson8.homestead.com/hummers.html

I also feed Niger thistle seed to my gold finches. They are the only bird that goes through a complete molt; bright yellow in the summer and olive in the winter. For a long time I used an upside down feeder, they are the only bird that can eat hanging upside down. Lately I am using a mesh sock feeder.

I like to take photos of butterflies too and have a butterfly bush to attract them. I get some nice Tiger and black swallowtails, monarchs and a few other species.

If any of you are backyard bird photographers too, please share your photos with us.

A few years back I joined a local Arts Center and tried my luck at selling some of my photos. I found that not everyone wants to buy bird and butterfly pictures to hang on the walls. I did sell my still life of old street bricks for $60.

The following photos are some of my favorite ones from over the years, birds, butterflies and a couple of still lives. The close up of the hummingbird with black background was a young juvenile that I think was just out of the nest. It sat on a feeder and looked as if it was resting and had its eyes closed at times.
I was able to shoot about 30 photos of it and got as close as 3 feet. I didn’t scare it off, it finally left on its own. It stayed around and was the last hummingbird I saw that fall.

My best of male Ruby Throated

Monarch

Juvenile resting

The same juvenile on a feeder

Tiger swallowtail with Orton effect applied

Before Orton effect applied

Monarch on Lilac

Monarch & Bee on Goldenrod

Old street brick, my patio

Old entrance

Male Mallard

Tiger swallowtail

Goldfinch on dried cone flower

Goldfinch 2

Goldfinch 3

Juvenile preening and ruffling his feathers

Female landing on feeder from The Hummingbird Store

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Re: Backyard Bird Watching & Photography
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
Wow, Don, these photos are really amazing!!!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
Very cool photo's, thanks for posting
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Very nice Don!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing the first hummingbird at the feeder in May/June.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
how are the pictures so clear?  I like how it looks like for one split second time stopped.  very cool photos.  I like them.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
Beautiful Don! Tell us about your camera gear, and settings if you can. I am impressed with your shots.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
Very nice shots! Can you share any info - camera . lens / ap / speed etc...?

Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »
Your photos are top drawer!!  Love your work.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Backyard Bird Watching & Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Beautiful. Hummingbirds are my favorite. Just amazing to watch
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Great post.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
Very cool
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
outstanding - thank you!  8)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
Outstanding photos Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
Great photos Don!!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Beautiful photos Don, thanks for sharing. We feed the birds year round and hummers in season. I have seen up to 5 Golden Eagles in the air at one time in our neighborhood and my wife saw 2 Bald Eagles this year already. She is an accomplished bird watcher, I am just a beginner but she is trying to teach me.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware