Author Topic: I guess you could consider fishing a hobby...  (Read 1222 times)

Offline pz

I guess you could consider fishing a hobby...
« Reply #-1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »
Living in North Idaho has it's advantages, many of them outdoor activities.  My favorite place to fish is at the high mountain lakes found north of the Silver Valley, in mining country (I also love to explore old mining areas)  Here are a couple of pics of a dad-and-son fishing day:

Click to zoom, click again to dismiss

We are able to drive right onto the shore of the lake - in it we find native brook trout with flesh so pink you'd think they are small salmon.  Fish and Game also stocks this particular lake with rainbow trout, which is the species we are after today

Caught one!  In fact, we almost never leave the lake without our limit

My son also has one - almost enough for breakfast!  We typically clean the fish as soon as it is caught, and then immediately on ice.

Time to cook; we start by frying half a pound of bacon and use the drippings for the frying fat

The fish are fried so that the fins are crisp - so crisp we can eat them like potato chips.  The flesh of the fish is pure white, and because it was fried in bacon drippings, it required no seasoning of any kind.  The fish is the most delicious you will ever eat - fried within minutes of being caught.

It is not well known, but at the far end of the lake (the far side in the first image) is an old abandoned prospect. The miners must have hit water, because a good amount of it constantly flows out into the lake.  Nearby at the bottom of the tailings are old ore car rails, and even an old ore car (unfortunately crushed)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: I guess you could consider fishing a hobby...
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »
I'm with you, pz. Fresh fish on the fire...  :P

What a beautiful lake. I'd enjoy fishing with you and your son, although my tools of choice are fly rods. You have found a corner of heaven!

Cheers!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »
It's a great place, Doc; before I moved here when I heard the name "Idaho" all I could think of was flat fields of potatoes as far as the eye could see - boy was I wrong.

I too like fly fishing, but I'm not too good at it.  However, even I can get the fly out far enough on this lake to catch the native brook trout, which are even more tasty, but very small.  On this particular trip we had decided to use spinning gear with floating bait about 4 feet off the bottom - never failed us yet.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
pz - Back in the day, I was a bicycle tourist and visited Idaho a few times. While there are certainly the flat tater fields, it is a beautiful state with a wide range of terrain.

I'm not a great fly fisherman (although I do try to use a fly rod for almost any fishing - I even have a "fly rod" for ice fishing!) When I can't get the fly to where I need it, I use a float tube or inflatable boat to get out a bit further...  ;)

I have found ways to use weighted lines, sinking leaders, etc. to let me reach virtually all the fish I chase - from trout to walleye, bass, perch, northern, muskies, etc.

But, at the end of the day - I just like getting a line wet...  ;)

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »
That is a beautiful lake!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
... I just like getting a line wet...  ;)

Same here, David

Interestingly, my oldest son is a very active chap, and loves to fly fish - he is certainly not an expert, but he does like to tie flies.  When he and I go out, we like to go on multi-day backpacking trips during which we use only fly rods.  It's funny how two boys from the same parents can behave so differently; one is blond/blue eyed, and the other is dark/brown eyes.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
love the fishing pics.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Sam3

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »
love the fishing pics.   8)

Me too.  I do most of my fishing in he ocean now, but I sure do miss fresh caught lake fish!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
Your fishing pictures bring back a lot of memories of my Dad and me fishing.  Great memories.  I prefer to fly fish, when I can.  It depends entirely on the water being fished.  I also tie my won flies.  I don't do enough of either lately.  The fishing waters around here have been really messed up with al the rain and flooding we have had this year.  The one day Tee and I got to fish (with ultra-light spinning rigs) we got chased off the stream with lightening and more rain.  Oh well, maybe this fall we can catch a break in the weather.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Jables

I guess you could consider fishing a hobby...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
Good times. Living in rural British Columbia, I enjoy the same activities. Although lately, I've been spending more time chasing salmon & other saltwater delicacies.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Looks beautiful.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments, gents  ;)

There is something special about a father and son bonding while doing activities only they do together.  I know it sounds kind of sappy, but the memories I have of doing things just with my boys are among the most precious I have - no amount of money can buy that.