Author Topic: Satisfied a brisket craving!  (Read 3143 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Satisfied a brisket craving!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
Great brisket!  My favorite part is the sliced brisket sandwiches.  I get to sample a lot of brisket (both sliced and burnt ends, usually) when I judge a contest and that's great, but what I like best is a brisket sandwich  ::)

Hub

Hub
what's interesting
when we were growing up if you asked for a chopped beef sandwich it was chopped from the point
and a sliced sandwich was from the flat
when I go into a local BBQ joint now they don't separate the point from the flat
they just slice it all
if you ask for a chopped sandwich they just chop whatever slices they make
and this is in Texas !!

And at the "best places" in Minnesota. I've asked and they don't know the difference.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
You did it to me Chilihead, I pulled some of my last brisket out off the deep freeze and Trying to make some burnt ends right now :)

Offline Chili Head

Satisfied a brisket craving!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »
You did it to me Chilihead, I pulled some of my last brisket out off the deep freeze and Trying to make some burnt ends right now :)

Hahahaha my job is done!
Post em so we can check em out!

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:18:45 AM »
Great brisket!  My favorite part is the sliced brisket sandwiches.  I get to sample a lot of brisket (both sliced and burnt ends, usually) when I judge a contest and that's great, but what I like best is a brisket sandwich  ::)

Hub

Hub
what's interesting
when we were growing up if you asked for a chopped beef sandwich it was chopped from the point
and a sliced sandwich was from the flat
when I go into a local BBQ joint now they don't separate the point from the flat
they just slice it all
if you ask for a chopped sandwich they just chop whatever slices they make
and this is in Texas !!

And at the "best places" in Minnesota. I've asked and they don't know the difference.

How a brisket is treated in a restaurant situation varies all over the place.  Growing up in Oklahoma, we had lots of barbequed beef, but it was seldom brisket.  Usually it was round, smoked heavily then sliced very thinly or chopped and a sweet, red sauce applied.  The best brisket sandwich I ever had was at a joint in Austin, TX years ago (can't remember the name of it).  It was burnt ends from the point with very little added, sprinkled with some salt/pepper/garlic rub then served on a toasted hard roll with just a wee dab of some chipotle mustard.  I've tried to duplicate it but never have nailed it.  Here in the southeast, brisket is pretty hard to find but what little I've had was usually overcooked then sort of sliced.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!