Author Topic: RV trips in the west  (Read 863 times)

Offline pz

RV trips in the west
« Reply #-1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »
This summer we went to Vegas for a professional conference, and then passed through the Four Corners area on the way home.  I love that area as it has fascinating history.  In Mesa Verde, we were privileged to attend the last Ranger-led hike into the back country to a site called Spring House.  Mesa Verde is tightly regulated, and the park does not allow any kind of back country hiking unless it is with a Ranger

Out hike was limited to 10, but because this was the last hike of the season (because the temperatures were becoming unbearably hot), there were only four of us (plus Park staff)

A structure that was very difficult to photograph - had to crawl on my belly to the edge of the cliff

Buzzard house

Pot sherds at Spring House - this is a "pristine" site currently being excavated.  The trash dump has yet to be explored

Spring house

The two folks we traveled with on this hike.  They told us that this hike was on their bucket list, and that the wife had walked 25 miles per week for the past 6 months.  Unfortunately, the heat was too much and she needed to be carried out by the medical staff.

The views were spectacular.  The guy in the photo was a park volunteer; I'd like to do that one of these days.

The white cottony material was a growth that turned deep reddish purple when rubbed between the hands

This guy was enjoying the midday sun

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: RV trips in the west
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:14:41 AM »
That is a wonderful park visit. I did that trip twice once when I was in my 20's and the second time I was in my 40's. If you enjoy the history of our nation especially that which deals with our native Americans, it is absolutely fascinating.

The four corners area is beautiful. My wife and I were there just 4 years ago when we went fly fishing on the San Juan River. That was one of our day trips and a break from fishing. Catching all of those trout just wore us out.  ;D

I am originally from New Mexico. If you can, and the opportunity prevails, visit Chaco Canyon National Monument. There are many remains of the Anastazi Communities that were built between 800 and 1000 AD. It is speculated that due to the lack of water, the communities decline. These folks were agrarian and raised turkeys, ducks, geese and goats while cultivating wheat and other crops. Very interesting.

This is going to be one of my return trips when I have better wheels and I don't mean a vehicle.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »
Chaco is another of our favorites.  We've visited many of the places in that area including Canyon de Chelly, Walnut Creek, Hovenweep, Sunset Crater... the list is almost endless with opportunity.

One thing I would like to do the next time is go into the Dine (Navajo) pronounced "dee-neh"reservation for one of their guided 4x4 tours.  The Dine have access to reservation areas that are not accessible by any other means.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:08:41 AM »
great pictures.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:30:22 AM »
Beautiful scenery.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »
Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
Great pictures and a great view. Thanks for sharing ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

For anyone that likes the old west, and plenty of history, the Four Corners area and Monument Valley are hard to beat!