Author Topic: Themorworks article  (Read 1780 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Themorworks article
« Reply #-1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
Just had a new article posted on Thermaworks stuff...

http://www.burn-blog.com/6185/new-toys-from-thermoworks/

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Themorworks article
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
Mike, good article.  This just shows a quality company never rests on its laurels.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Very good read.  Well balanced (not a fanboy article) and fair.  I have to admit that IMO Thermoworks is starting to resemble some other retail companies (who shall remain "Apple") in releasing a lot of products in an effort to get existing customers to upgrade or add where the only reason is "because I want the new one."
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
Ahem, muebe. Note the color of the thermapen used by the professional.  Jes' sayin'.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
I tend to agree that Thermoworks is offering "new and improved" products but I still stand by the original Thermapen... I've used it since it first came out and IMHO there is nothing better. The backlighting feature is something I've be wanting since its introduction.

Every cook in my kitchen has a Thermapen instead of an inexpensive dial-type thermometer.

Do you need a flat top thermometer? Probably not... It was nice to check out the hot/ cold spots on the flat top, but I could have done that with my IR thermometer.

Do you need a Bluetooth thermometer? Again probably not but gadgets are always nice to have <lol>. (My bride doesn't agree!)

KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
Exactly.  My original Thermapen will do me just fine (along with a little flashlight in my teeth when I need light at night).  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
At first when researching which unit to purchase, I thought the Bluetooth was a good idea, but then read of the short range.  Makes sense, none of the Bluetooth devices I have ever used has had much of a range.  I don't have a Thermapen, but one of their little white units with an extremely slender long probe - looks almost like a hypodermic needle  ;D

It appears to read temperature very quickly and quite accurately (so they claim).

I guess it is much like the automobile industry - always have to come out with a new gadget to entice people to buy

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
Bluetooth was never designed to be a long range system. It was designed to work within 30 feet or less between two devices, although some Bluetooth enabled devices can go beyond that since the technology has improved. Bluetooth was not meant to be a replacement for a wireless transmitter/receiver system, like a router or switch that you would use for connecting your laptop/tablet to the Internet, but rather it was designed to enable peripherals like headphones, printers & speakers to work with a base device.

The range quoted by Thermoworks for their thermometer @ 65 feet is an improvement over the original distance specs, but I would go with another wireless thermometer if you are looking for more range than that.

Bluetooth doesn't go through walls very well either. A true wireless thermometer would perform better if you wanted to have a wireless monitor in the house while your thermometer was outside next to your cooker.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
I also have an iGrill and the BlueDuo and they don't work much better. The Maverick 732 seems to be the best of the lot unless you want to get fancy with a Stoker or Guru.

I haven't tried the Tappa yet.. it should be arriving next week.
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi