Author Topic: Updating my computers  (Read 1982 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Updating my computers
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
Time to speed things up.

Ive reached the limit of what I can do with memory,have the fastest and maxed out on limits,but things are pretty slow yet,especially on boot-ups take forever.

So for the 7 year old laptop and about same on desktops they are getting solid state hard drives.I picked up 2 Crucial bleeding edge drives at 109 dollars each for 240 GB.

On the laptop it will triple hard drive space and blast up the speed.Its said should make my old comp faster than a new laptop without a solid state drive.

For the desktop the old hard drive will remain as drive D,drive C will be the SSD for loading operating system and a few programs that are heavy users,like the Kodak pictures and a few others.

Both machines will be using Linux Ubuntu as it has promised coverage for several more years.

The old laptop HDD will become portable storage with a case for mounting it.19 dollars

The  desktop will get a case frame that can mount 2 SSD's in a single 3.5 bay.7 dollars

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Updating my computers
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
Solid state drives... the Thermapen of hard drives.  :D  Go with the grey one.  I hear they are the fastest.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
Solid state drives... the Thermapen of hard drives.  :D  Go with the grey one.  I hear they are the fastest.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
SSD's ARE fast to boot. I put a 128G in my pc when I built it about a year ago and it boots to first keypunch in about 13 seconds. I do have to be careful in downloading extraneous programs to make sure they go on the 2 extra HDD's because you don't want your SSD very full. I only keep Windows 7 and my Avid editing program on the SSD. Everything else goes on HDD's. I forgot which color mine is, but I'm betting it is pretty.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
Rebuilding my desktop - this will be a part of it! Do they make them in British Racing Green - the fastest, you know...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
Nice upgrades, I'm sure you'll love the blazing speed.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Be forewarned that while SSD's are much faster at reading, they are also much slower at writing than a standard hard drive, so installing Windows & other programs will take longer.

Another big advantage is they can't develop bad sectors from a hard shutdown like a traditional Hard Drive.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »
Rebuilding my desktop - this will be a part of it! Do they make them in British Racing Green - the fastest, you know...  ;) ;D
You could send it off to Rick Dale at American Restorations,Im sure you would be real pleased with his work....powder coated,CNC parts,a little leather.... ;D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:59 PM »
You could send it off to Rick Dale at American Restorations,Im sure you would be real pleased with his work....powder coated,CNC parts,a little leather.... ;D
Sweet!  :D :D ;) :D :D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
I ain't got no idea what y'all are talkin' about.   :o  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
I ain't got no idea what y'all are talkin' about.   :o  Dee

It's O.K. Dee...your Alley Oop model still works fine.... :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:48:03 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
Worked on acer aspire netbook,a mid sized HP,and my destop.

First off,desktop wont play nice with the SSD,dont know why,but just doesnt want to recognize it 90% of time.So it will probably go into the late model toshiba BIL gave to Mrs.

Tried the SSD with linux in netbook,but really overkill,there,all I do is surf with it.So took HD from HP and into netbook.YES,very fast,but just isnt needed there,still boots linux fast enough with what little is on comp.

Netbook I killed,dropped it twice,broke screen,replaced that then it just wouldnt boot a couple months later and it was stuffed away.Dog decided to eat power cord and new model was about 40 bucks,now 6 dollars.

Works great now,linux loaded right up and all worked.

The HP,it has a broadcam wireless,and thats propriatory code,HP wont share.So its loaded up,speeding away great with SSD,but no internet wireless.Found a linux work around called B43,they had 4 different programs.I tried one,did nothing,so put in all four,on reboot it loaded(by itself thank God because I sure as heck cant code) the wireless driver now its just Aces,very cool.

I know ZILCH on loading Linux,BIL usually sets me up,gave me some discs and said go for it,so I did.

I think the other SSD I have linux loaded to will go into the Toshiba.

So got 4 comps running great,would like to speed up desktop but it might not happen.

Rescued one from dead,Sped up another....Major cool.And only took 16 hours and an all nighter to do it,used to that by now,its always an overnight if not 2 day thing when I touch comps.

Next time BIL up will get him to fine tune passwords and customize desktops and security when he comes up,he is a Linux pro and writes code even, really knows what he is doing.

Pretty cool,eh? ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:43:26 PM by spuds »