Author Topic: Bacon, Onion, Beef Meatballs and Poutine  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Bacon, Onion, Beef Meatballs and Poutine
« Reply #-1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:36 AM »
Sep 28 2014

I am always a little excited about cooking when I find something new to try. This is a new one to me and if anyone here has made them I missed it. A few years ago Traeger started a forum for Traeger owners to post recipes. I had a few posted there but they stopped the forum and just post their own recipes. I just went back to check it out ran across this goodie, “Onion Bombs”.  It is a meatball inside a whole onion ring, wrapped in bacon and smoked. I call mine “Bacon Onion Beef Balls” I don’t like the word bomb and when I relate it to food sounds like a failure to me!

I made up the meat for the meatballs yesterday and set in the fridge overnight. I have wanted to do some poutine again; and I had some cheese curds in the freezer to use. I have never been to Canada to eat poutine so I don’t know what the real deal tastes like. I read where you need fresh cheese curds to get the little crunch they have. I had yellow curds too instead of the usual white.

I found a recipe that is supposed to be authentic. It was basically 6 Tbs. butter and a ¼ cup of flour, 20 oz. beef broth, 10 oz. chicken broth, 2 Tbs corn starch in water slurry. Melt the butter and flour together and when thick pour in the broth slowly and stir. Add some salt and pepper and bring to a boil then add in the corn starch slurry to thicken. Keep on simmer until serving. I added in a little Worcestershire sauce too but I still thought it was rather bland.

I made up the beef balls and wrapped in bacon a few hours before smoking and in the fridge. I made 4 of the bacon onion balls and had meat left for 6 meatballs. I used Ore Ida frozen fast food fries for the poutine. I would rather have had some crispy deep fried but too much trouble for me and the Ore Ida’s are pretty good. I had some baby carrots to use so I nuked them for 2 minutes then in a Weber foil drip tray, sprinkled with a little cumin, chili powder, salt and 3 pats of butter. Covered them with foil and they went on the smoker right after getting the meatballs on.

My onions were a little on the flat side; nice round ones would be better but I had them to use. I followed the recipe and did the meatballs an hour on smoke then eased up to 350 deg. for a half hour to get to 165 deg. IT and bacon browned up. The carrots went on right after the meatballs and the fries went in after a half hour. While all was finishing up I made the gravy for the poutine.

My wife went to the grandson’s soccer game this afternoon. I didn’t go since my leg was acting up. They won the game. Our son had to work so the daughter in law and grandson ate with us. The wife and I loved the bacon onion beef balls. I will be doing these again; maybe different flavored meatballs and some BBQ sauce over top. The daughter in law had the poutine and some leftover baked cheesy spaghetti form our supper last night. The grandson ate some of the plain meatballs, he didn’t care for the poutine and he asked why did you season the carrots Grampa? He is not crazy about seasoning other than a little salt; he did eat them though!

Not the best photos since my leg was hurting; but I think you can see how to make these. I am done with two weeks of meds and the leg is not much better, back to the Doctor tomorrow. I modified the Traeger recipe and note the changes in the recipe.

For the meatballs

One hour of smoke

Curds

Poutine

Smokin Don

Recipe
Traeger onion bombs
BBQ ONION BOMBS
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 60 minutes smoking at 225, 20-30 minutes at 350
RECOMMENDED PELLETS: Hickory
SERVES: 4
INGREDIENTS
1 lb ground beef
2 yellow onions
1 pack bacon
1/4 c each chopped parsley, chopped mushrooms and diced onion, used no mushrooms and 1 tsp dried onions
1 tbsp spice ketchup, 1 TBS Kah’s BBQ sauce
1 tsp each soy and worcestershire sauce, about a TBS of each
1 tbsp each brown sugar and Traeger Prime rub, used 1 Tbs Savor Fine Swine and Bovine
1/4 c Panko bread crumbs
PREPARATION
As always let's start by getting the grill and our food all ready. Start your grill as normal by placing the setting to "Smoke" and leaving your grill door open. Do this for 3-5 minutes to warm up your Traeger.

Start off by cutting the tops and bottoms off of your onions and ridding them of the tough exterior skin. Slice your onion in half and start to peel the layers of onion apart. You want to keep the biggest layers of onion you can to stuff, however, make sure you're not keeping the tough exterior onion layers, that won't taste (or cut) very well.

Set your onion shells aside and let's mix our meatloaf. Mix 1 lb of ground beef, diced onion, parsley, mushroom, as well as your spices, condiments and bread crumbs into a bowl and mix by hand.

Now that our meatloaf mixture is ready, you can heat your Traeger to 225 and get ready to stuff these onion bombs. Take a small handful of your meatloaf mixture and place it inside one of your onion layer pieces, then press another layer piece on top of the mixture, making an onion sealed meatball. Continue with the rest of your onion layers until your meatloaf mixture is gone. The number of onion bombs will depend on the size of the onions you buy.

Now, let's wrap this thing in bacon. Why? Because...bacon. I wrapped 3 slices of bacon around each bomb, you may need more bacon depending on size. Secure the bacon with tooth picks so it doesn't unravel while it's cooking.

Place these bombs on your Traeger at 225 for an hour to smoke, once the hour is up, kick up the heat to 350 for another 20-30 minutes until your internal temperature is around 160-165,
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Bacon, Onion, Beef Meatballs and Poutine
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:50:34 AM »
That is a whole lot of heaven on a plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:08:22 AM »
Those onion & bacon wrapped meatballs look off the chart, Don.  You can bet they'll be getting a try at my house very soon.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
SD, your going to drive those eastern Canadians wild with this cook ;D

Bookmarked.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
Pull the pin cause I'm going in!

They look really good Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:26:02 AM »
That's a tasty plate of food Don!  :P

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
Wow! That is beyond fantastic Don!! I will be trying those meatballs for sure!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
Cue up Heavenly Choir: "Oh Canada!" ;D

Looks fantastic Don!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Excellent looking plate of goodness, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Yum yum yum. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
OMG this looks yummy ,i will break my diet for this food .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
WOW. Nice looking food and write-up
Love to cook and eat