Author Topic: SRG Turkey question.  (Read 1576 times)

Offline whoger

SRG Turkey question.
« Reply #-1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »
A couple of questions cooking the turkey on the SRG.  I have used the TBE to cook my turkeys,  so the question I have is the lid down until I get the color I want then up for the rest of the cook? Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Offline aliengriller

Re: SRG Turkey question.
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
That's the way I usually do it.   Also recommend you rotate the turkey three times while cooking.   There are always cooler spots with mine, so this gives a much more even cook.   Raise it up as high as you can.  AND, I cook mine breast down, legs up.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
I have cooked lid down till I get close to IT   of 135 or so then open the lid to finish.
I have also cooked lid down the entire cook, but I think lid up does a better job.

Just don't use a sugar rub and always make sure you use butter or oil on the skin 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline whoger

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
I have cooked lid down till I get close to IT   of 135 or so then open the lid to finish.
I have also cooked lid down the entire cook, but I think lid up does a better job.

Just don't use a sugar rub and always make sure you use butter or oil on the skin
Hi Tommy,  I like the breast down method.  I always rub the skin with peanut oil and s&p. I brine it for 24hrs as well.  Thanks for the information.  This was Thanksgivings turkey on the TBE

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »
That's a great looking turkey. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)