Author Topic: Talk me into buying an SRG  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Bayoucajun

Talk me into buying an SRG
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
Here is my big concern about the SRG  rust. I live in south La 20 miles or so from the gulf. Average rainfall is 60 inches a year. Last year from start of May to end of August  39 inches. Will I have a rust problem if I keep it clean and covered under my patio. How much smoke does it add to butts. Thanks guys.

Offline tenorGJ

Re: Talk me into buying an SRG
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
We've been wet in Atlanta for some time...no rust issues for me, though I do keep mine in the garage under cover. As for smoke, when I use hickory pellets, I get a moderate to strong amount of smoke flavor when cooking on high-to-medium. Don't expect low and slow flavoring on a big butt since the meat can't make it the 12 hours or so needed...but it's more smoke "kissed" or the essence is there, if you will.

I can't recommend the SRG enough!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
As for rust, you can get some but keeping well seasoned will go a long way in keeping it rust free.  I mean season the inside and outside of the cooking chamber and keep a cover on it when not being used.  Now I live in north Alabama and rust is not that big of a deal but I still keep my SRG's, BEESR's and TBE seasoned very well.

Now as for smoke added to the meat.   Well, I'd say you will get some but not enough to be like a real smoker but enough to add some flavor.  My pulled pork has enough for me and the family so it works well but if you want a heavy flavor the SRG is not the cooker you need for that. 

The SRG like the BEESR and TBE are wonderful for what they are and I wont get rid of mine for nothing.   They do have limitations on what they can do and heavy smoke flavor is not one of the "Things" they do well

I recommend any of the Big Easy line, they are really good and well worth the $$$.   I have done so much in mine I cant remember everything but will tell you, you can't go wrong having one in your line up.  There are other cookers said to make a great chicken, but try an SRG chicken sometime, I think you might just like a air fried bird better ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:51:09 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
I live in an "Temperate Upland Rain Forest" in the mountains of Western North Carolina. 70 + inches of rain per year....Humid - pretty much all of the time too.
I keep my SRG covered - and it has held up pretty well for the last 4+ years. It is a good bang for the buck. And - while you can get some smoke like Tommy pointed out...Remember that some production is an effect of inefficient combustion. Gas grills are by their nature very efficient combustion devices, providing high heat and clean burn.

There are some work arounds of course - including - but not limited to - cold smoking a meat prior to cooking it using an Amazen Smoker tube.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
... cooking it using an Amazen Smoker tube.

That must take a while.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
Bayoucajun you need to empty you mailbox. I tried to pm you,but it says your mb is full.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
 I live almost exactly the same distance from the gulf as you. I am less than 5 miles from Mobile Bay.  I have not covered my SRG or brought it in out of the rain, etc...
 It gets an occasional (very occasional ) squirt of oil here and there.
Its 4 years old or so.
I'll take some pics and post. No real issues with rust.  As long as they have not changed the steel or paint I really think you'll be fine. Especially under a covered area.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »
... cooking it using an Amazen Smoker tube.

That must take a while.

That darned English syntax thingy again.......  ::) 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
Dont know anything about rust but I know the EASY part cant be overstated.And a small footprint,I love the thing and even the Mrs loves it,and she is a tough sell.If you regret this purchase I just cant understand it.And if in no hurry,wait around for the 149.00 free shipping deals that seem to show once or twice a year at various places,watch this site as members post em when they come up.

I also picked up the cast iron griddle that gets mentioned,very cool.
This is one very versatile cooker.And being a gasser its always ready to go.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
 Ok, this is late but here are pics I promised.   This SRG turned out another great turkey for Thanksgiving.
 It has beenoutside its entire life. Three years I think.  I am about to give it a touch up paint job so I figured I better post this now.
 As you can see, There really isn't much rust considering my location. Plenty of high humidity and brackish air around here. 
 I think the rust on the smoker box is more from heat than anything else.
Pictures are unedited and raw! Cover the kids eyes... 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline allornothing

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
My SRG looks similar to this, not as much rust on smoker door but I do have rust around the bottom seam of the outside just like this.  I live in Pittsburgh and keep it covered but I use it all the time.  I sprayed some rust proofing on it about a year ago and it's kind of melted into it.  Hasn't really gotten any worse from what I can see.  The cooking chamber seems fine, but I keep that oiled, I probably do that 3-4 times a year.  Its over three years old and used extensively, I don't think I used my quantum 4 burner at all this year.  It's a great little grill does a lot of different cooks, I'll get another when this one dies. 

Thanks to all on here for turning me onto the SRG. 

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:00:15 PM »
Not much I can add to this one, I have 2 that I use all the time. I cook on one of them at least 4-5 times a week and love everything that comes off of them. We're not as humid but no real rust issues sitting on porch uncovered since they were new.