Author Topic: Just got my Big Easy - A few questions  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Antonovich

Just got my Big Easy - A few questions
« Reply #-1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
So my Big Easy came yesterday. got it all put together and have been looking up stuff online. Haven't seasoned it yet cause it's been raining quite hard here. A local meet market has local chicken leg quarters on for 99 cents/lb so i picked up a ton of them and plan on them being my first cook in TBE. But i have a few questions....

1. I don't have the leg  accessory that hangs the legs but i'd like to make more than just a few in the bottom of the basket. Is there a way to hang them from skewers or DIY a "middle shelf" on the basket or something?

2. There's also a good deal on smoked shoulder pork picnic. Does anyone know what this would be like in TBE? it almost looks like a ham from the outside. I've never cooked one before.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Just got my Big Easy - A few questions
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
So my Big Easy came yesterday. got it all put together and have been looking up stuff online. Haven't seasoned it yet cause it's been raining quite hard here. A local meet market has local chicken leg quarters on for 99 cents/lb so i picked up a ton of them and plan on them being my first cook in TBE. But i have a few questions....
1. I don't have the leg  accessory that hangs the legs but i'd like to make more than just a few in the bottom of the basket. Is there a way to hang them from skewers or DIY a "middle shelf" on the basket or something?

2. There's also a good deal on smoked shoulder pork picnic. Does anyone know what this would be like in TBE? it almost looks like a ham from the outside. I've never cooked one before.
Welcome to the forum!   You picked the best Big Easy forum on the web  ;) ;) ;)

First off, I need to know which Big Easy you have.   There are three versions and each one has it's own way of cooking.    The BEESR is Electric and cooks different than the other two. The Big Easy has a mesh lid and on-off only (no heat adjustment)  and the Smoker,Roaster Grill has a solid lid and grate to cook on. 

You can lay the chicken legs on the half rack and cook them that way without any issues, but knowing which cooker you have will help me help you with racks you can buy to cook more

I have many ways of cooking in these and waiting to help you out :) :) :) :) :) :)

As for the picnic shoulder, I have cook 125 butts and 1 shoulder in these cookers so any questions you have I bet I can answer   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:14:24 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:20:57 AM »
I use the metal skewers to hang stuff in my tbe..just put meat thru them and cross them so you can size the skewers so you can hang more on top, shoudl be able to get 2 rows , I would suggest gettign the hangers tho..they are great. Tommy is our tbe guru so listen to what he says. He taught me all I know..I have the SRG and BEESR. You can also lay a grate across the top for another row of legs also..I fill the cooker when I use it.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Antonovich

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »
Thanks! I have the regular big easy with the mesh lid that hooks to a propane tank.

I've seen some of the accessories i'm looking to pick some up but there isn't any places around me that carry it and i'm looking to make some legs tomorrow :)

These are the shoulders that are on sale but since it looks like it's already been smoked, i'm not sure how it would turn out.

http://www.olymel.com/en/products/hams/smoked-shoulder-pork-picnic/

These are the chicken legs I was looking to make and basically wanted to make as many as i can at once.

Should i brine them first? I never brined anything but I brined a couple thick cut pork chops last week and I can never eat another unbrined pork chop again. I had no idea what i was missing! I also have a kettle charcoal bbq and my neighbour just gave me a big stainless steel propane bbq cause he didn't want to have to move it with him. Saved me from having to go buy a propane tank for TBE!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:14:29 PM by Antonovich »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
OK now I see you have the reg Big Easy..   

As for the legs you can brine them and it helps a lot, or you can just rub and place them in.     Now, as for rubs make sure the rub you use if you are using a rub has very low sugar content cause if it's high in sugar then you will end up with a burnt hunk of meat and that ain't good

To prep the legs wash them well then dry them off or leave them in the fridge after cleaning uncovered for a few hrs.  This will help you get crispy skin , even if you brine them pat them dry and get the skin dry as you can.   Rub a little oil on then then season before cooking.

As for racks, you should have gotten a set of half racks so place those half way in the basket then place the legs on the half racks.

Turn the unit on after you placed the legs in, no need to warm up a Big Easy that's gas fired.   Should be done in 40 to 60 mins  depending on weather, temp of meat going in at the time.

There are racks made for this unit as you know and they work well, but if you do a little shopping you can find racks that will work.  I'll see if I can find the thread where 10 in round racks can be bought for $1.00 to $2.00 a piece.   I'll post as soon as I can

As for the shoulder, it's precooked so all you will do is warm it up , you can do that in your oven..   

Now if you want to try a Boston Butt thats not precooked let me know, I have a way to do those.......

Tommy
Best of luck, and season that thing real good with oil not Pam spray
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum.....you have one cooking machine right there. If you need any help ...Tommy is the man !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
 Welcome to the forum!
The TBE is one of the products that brought many of us together in the first place. Tommy holds the honor of most cooks I'm pretty sure and he has great ideas. The "Tommy Ring" is one you should check out.
 I like your attitude of DIY . This will take you far in outdoor grilling.

One very important note... Many of us have found this out the hard way so maybe I can spare you the pain.  That metal tab on the lid..gets REAL HOT.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
The TBE is one of the products that brought many of us together in the first place. Tommy holds the honor of most cooks I'm pretty sure and he has great ideas. The "Tommy Ring" is one you should check out.

One very important note... Many of us have found this out the hard way so maybe I can spare you the pain.  That metal tab on the lid..gets REAL HOT.
OH yes it does!   :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

YES it does...don't ask me how I know. just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
Maybe I missed it but have you seasoned the cooker yet? It should be seasoned before you use it for a better cook.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

:-[ Gee and I thought I was the only one burning my thumb and forefinger! :D :D :D

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

:-[ Gee and I thought I was the only one burning my thumb and forefinger! :D :D :D
Heck I'm missing finger prints  ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum.   ALL of the above comments are very pertinent.  My only question is 99 cents/lb for chicken quarters?    Wow, just last week a local supermarket ran them for $4.90 for a ten pound FROZEN bunch.   That's a lot less than you paid.   I do them occasionally, but find they are pretty bony, especially the thigh portion.    The way they process and "cut up" chickens these days leaves a little bit to be desired, IMHO.   BUT, they can be cooked up to be moist and juicy.    Good luck.  The Big Easy is superlative for doing poultry, I feel.   

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »
I'd like to add that you can adapt and cook most anything in this fine cooker. But IMO it cooks baked potatoes like nothing else! Get some baker potatoes, scrub them good, and dry. Then I put EVOO on , then shake sea salt or Kosher salt on liberally and place in TBE until IT is 200F. Perfect inside and crispy outside!   :D

Offline Antonovich

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum.   ALL of the above comments are very pertinent.  My only question is 99 cents/lb for chicken quarters?    Wow, just last week a local supermarket ran them for $4.90 for a ten pound FROZEN bunch.   That's a lot less than you paid.   I do them occasionally, but find they are pretty bony, especially the thigh portion.    The way they process and "cut up" chickens these days leaves a little bit to be desired, IMHO.   BUT, they can be cooked up to be moist and juicy.    Good luck.  The Big Easy is superlative for doing poultry, I feel.   

Yeah the grocery stores around here are so expensive. luckily there is 2 meat markets that have small veggie sections and everything's generally local and fresh. 20 chicken legs, 2 big bunches of broccoli, 3 lbs of strawberries and a pack of romaine hearts cost me just over 20 bucks. They usually have 2 or three crazy deals each week. I'm kicking myself for not getting pork butt roasts when they were 97c/lb last week. kiwi's were 7 cents lol.

anyway, didn't get to do the legs cause i got home late and the wife put them in the oven instead. I never got a centre rack in the box, just the cage. made a quick rack by cutting up a cooling rack. took a little too much off in one corner but seems pretty sturdy.

So today was my first time actually using TBE. Did a 5.5lb sirloin roast. I left the lid on for quite awhile cause it's about 7C here (44F) and wasn't paying attention so it was a litle more well done than I like. Basically medium well getting to well done :( was still good though and made some sandwiches with it. Next time I'll have to pay closer attention near the end.