Author Topic: Just got my Big Easy - A few questions  (Read 6952 times)

Offline Bluecham

Re: Just got my Big Easy - A few questions
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 06:39:59 PM »
I'd like to add that you can adapt and cook most anything in this fine cooker. But IMO it cooks baked potatoes like nothing else! Get some baker potatoes, scrub them good, and dry. Then I put EVOO on , then shake sea salt or Kosher salt on liberally and place in TBE until IT is 200F. Perfect inside and crispy outside!   :D
A few spuds I did today in the SRG...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Offline Antonovich

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »
Those potatoes look REALLY good!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
My wife doesn't want a baked potato cooked any other way than in The Big Easy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
I recently got the big easy, SRG model, and have been loving it ever since...  Tommy has been a big help, read through some of his posts, good tips on cooking with the big easy....

Blue, can you give a little description on how you do those taters, I've tried em on the big easy, but the skin didn't really get crispy for me...
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
Don't rely on that thermometer that comes with the SRG.   They are not very accurate at all.    I know they are expensive but the close to 100 bucks you will pay for a Thermapen will more than pay for itself in less overcooked, undercooked ANYTHING.     One of the best investments I ever made.    Use it ALL the time--sometimes have to fight my wife for it when I'm smoking or grilling and she's cooking inside.   

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
Don't rely on that thermometer that comes with the SRG.   They are not very accurate at all.    I know they are expensive but the close to 100 bucks you will pay for a Thermapen will more than pay for itself in less overcooked, undercooked ANYTHING.     One of the best investments I ever made.    Use it ALL the time--sometimes have to fight my wife for it when I'm smoking or grilling and she's cooking inside.
Good point.  I tossed mine years ago cause they don't work well.

Now, if you get a less expensive probe type make sure you wrap the cable in tin foil or some other insulation to protect it from the cooking chamber and the high heat these cookers can produce

I burned up a few before learning that tip  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline allornothing

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
Good point.  I tossed mine years ago cause they don't work well.

Now, if you get a less expensive probe type make sure you wrap the cable in tin foil or some other insulation to protect it from the cooking chamber and the high heat these cookers can produce

I burned up a few before learning that tip  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I learned the same lesson!  I just recently got a new wireless one that I wrapped in foil, it has two probes on, seems to work great, did a turkey roll and some potatoes, worked well just missed on timing of both, taters where done 5 minutes earlier than turkey. 

Don't for get you can wrap that beef in foil once you get the bark on the outside that you want, that will keep it from burning. 

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:11 PM »
You know, I have had my Big Easy for almost 3 years... only used it 2-3 times..... I have a cook out at work coming up.  May have to talk with the boss about putting it to use.

Time to read up on the other posts and get some ideas...

Offline Elzic

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
I'd like to add that you can adapt and cook most anything in this fine cooker. But IMO it cooks baked potatoes like nothing else! Get some baker potatoes, scrub them good, and dry. Then I put EVOO on , then shake sea salt or Kosher salt on liberally and place in TBE until IT is 200F. Perfect inside and crispy outside!   :D
A few spuds I did today in the SRG...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Bluecham, Need some details on those potatoes!   seriously....those look crazy good.
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG