Author Topic: Grill Vs. Grill  (Read 3832 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Grill Vs. Grill
« Reply #-1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Hey guys and gals, do any of you that own multiple grills ever do any "cookoffs" between them, cooking same foods to see which one cooks said food better? I have multiple cooking devices and have been known to cook and pit them against each other to see what my friends and family prefer. It's fun, it's interesting to me how each one of my cookers give their own flavor to food.

I have done tests using baby backs, beef ribs, butts and chicken all done on different cookers to see which one won. I've gotten some surprising results. Now that I have a PBC, I may have to throw that one into the fold to see where it ranks in the blind taste testing.

I have done Keg vs. Traeger vs. Smokin-It on Beef Ribs and Baby Backs. I've done Keg vs. Smokin-It on butts and I've done Keg vs. Traeger on chicken. If all are interested I can scrounge up those posts from another forum and post them here.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Grill Vs. Grill
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »
i like the idea of a cook-off between different types of cookers. It helps us figure out which one works best for what foods...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
I sort of have. Not using them at the same time but same foods in different cookers.

I find steaks are best on my cook-air

Chicken is best in my PBC

And ribs and butts are best on my Memphis

Lastly pizza is best in my Uuni 2 :P

And Sous-Vide can be used in conjunction with any of them.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »
Always interested in cooker test.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
I'll post my tests later, watching my Hawks getting beat by the Cavs at the moment :(
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline kmatt

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:06:34 PM »
Hey guys and gals, do any of you that own multiple grills ever do any "cookoffs" between them, cooking same foods to see which one cooks said food better? I have multiple cooking devices and have been known to cook and pit them against each other to see what my friends and family prefer. It's fun, it's interesting to me how each one of my cookers give their own flavor to food.

I have done tests using baby backs, beef ribs, butts and chicken all done on different cookers to see which one won. I've gotten some surprising results. Now that I have a PBC, I may have to throw that one into the fold to see where it ranks in the blind taste testing.

I have done Keg vs. Traeger vs. Smokin-It on Beef Ribs and Baby Backs. I've done Keg vs. Smokin-It on butts and I've done Keg vs. Traeger on chicken. If all are interested I can scrounge up those posts from another forum and post them here.

The Keg is the greatest grill to ever exist on planet Earth, maybe the Universe!  There is no comparison RG.  Why would you dare cook on anything else?   :P
Big Steel Keg 2000 converted to 4000
Weber Spirit 210
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Blackstone Dash Portable Grill
King Kooker 5012 Portable Propane Outdoor Cooker
Grill Grates
Ash Dragon Divider

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
Ribs.  Cooked on a 22 WSM, 26" weber kettle, mak 1 star, LT and PBC at the same time kinda.  A lot of fun.  It's cool to get everything between 250° - 275°.  My wife can't understand why I can't just cook them on one smoker.  what fun would that be?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:10:05 AM »
The Keg is the greatest grill to ever exist on planet Earth, maybe the Universe!  There is no comparison RG.  Why would you dare cook on anything else?   :P
Hey man!!! I am glad you finally posted, I figured this might draw you out, lol!! You  may indeed be right, I do LOVE my kegs but you already know where this is headed. The beauty is that here, on THIS forum, I can talk about other cookers and not get the stink eye, lol :P  A couple of the Keg folks didn't like hearing that Kegs were not always winning these challenges at MY house, they took offense when none was intended. The only way to know if you're the best is to be tested and test I did! Homerism ran deep and that's fine, I don't blame them for being loyal. We ALL want to think what WE have is the best right? I just like to experiment, that's all it was.

Real quick here folks, Kyle is a cooking machine, he's one of the members from my old stomping grounds. He stays busy as hell working around the clock these days but maybe he can show off some of his past cooks to show y'all what he can do ;)

Ribs.  Cooked on a 22 WSM, 26" weber kettle, mak 1 star, LT and PBC at the same time kinda.  A lot of fun.  It's cool to get everything between 250° - 275°.  My wife can't understand why I can't just cook them on one smoker.  what fun would that be?.

Sparky, indeed! That's what I am saying! If cooking on one thing is fun then cooking on 5 is better right? :) I just like seeing if one thing does better than another and if it does, then it gets the task of being "THE" cooker for that particular item. The only way to find out is to test them, and it's fun to boot!

My hope is that this thread can become a resource of sorts, maybe like a BBQ consumer reports lol. Tests not done by paid people in a lab but rather done by backyard cooks in the REAL world. The great thing about the blind taste testing part is that only the cook knows what device cooked what dish so that eliminates any bias. Good stuff, I can't wait to show what I've found so far in my "tests" and I look forward to seeing others from the rest of ya!!

So, let me round up my past data and create some posts for you all to be amazed by, lol. (tongue firmly in cheek here)

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »
Here we go! This wasn't my first test but it's going to be the first one I post, lol. This one was Beef Ribs bought from Restaurant Depot. One rack done on the Traeger, one on the Smokin-It #3 and one done on the Big Steel Keg. Here's how it went :

Traeger

Smokin-It

Keg

I must mention that the SI#3 got the biggest rack of the bunch as you can tell by the pics it has a little more meat on it.

Here is a shot of the sampling board. I apologize for the carnage! Those bones were nibbled on by my Wife and Son before I was smart enough to take a picture, lol!

From left to right - Keg, Traeger, SI

The meat was smoked with Peach on all 3 smokers. The SI and Keg used chunks while the Traeger used pellets. All went for close to 6 hours at a range of 225-250 (each has temp swings as all grills/smokers do). All were seasoned with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express Coffee Infused Rub.

The Voting went like this (keep in mind, I KNEW which was which but my Wife and Son did not.

Ranking by number
Wife - 1=Traeger  2=SI  3=Keg
Son - 1=SI  2=Traeger  3=Keg
Me - 1=Traeger  2=SI  3=Keg

The one we were all in agreement on was the Keg! It was last (still very good mind you). That didn't set well with my Keg brethren, lol.

Tenderness was very close between the Traeger and the SI with the Keg being slightly less tender.
Appearance goes to the SI but I think that was due to it just being a bigger rack.

Overall, nobody was complaining about any of them but alas, this round does go to the Traeger. If I had to grade these, using the Traeger as a 100, the SI Ribs were a 90 and the Keg gets an 80.

The Mighty Keg is my best all around cooker but that doesn't mean squat when it came to this cook! The SI held it's own. My Son even picked it as #1!!

So.....that's one test done. I have more I'll post so keep an eye out for those ;) Ain't this fun? :)

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
This was my first ever head to head, it was done when I fist got my little Traeger. I decided to cook chicken for this test. Members that are here from the Keg Forum have seen this already.

Ok Ladies & Gents, Boys & Girls. The cooking is over, the tasting and judging is over. I will post pics after the results are given. I will discuss things from my side, cooking the chicken and the experience with each grill then will post results from Mrs RG about the eating  ;D

I cooked these on their respective grills at 375 with smoke, apple wood on the keg and pellets, that are comprised of various hardwoods according to the package, on the traeger. Each was allowed to reach 375 (400 dome on keg) before the birds were placed on the grill. The keg got a bird that was a little bigger than what I put on the traeger. My observation is that they cook roughly at the same speed, the traeger finished first since it had a smaller chicken on it but the keg was not too far behind. So far they're even in my book. Appearance wise I'd say the keg bird looked better than the traeger bird although both did not get the color I wanted nor the crispy skin I wanted but oh well. Next I foiled the birds and let them rest while Mrs RG was making some mashed potatoes and corn on the cob (there are no plated pics, sorry!)

I had Mrs RG take a look at both birds. She had no idea which one was cooked on which grill. As for appearance she too chose the kegged bird! Next I had her put on a scarf so I could make sure she wasn't cheating and sneaking a peek  ;)  I didn't want her to be influenced by the way one looked over the other.

I sliced a two bite piece including skin from the kegged bird first. She tasted it and then cleaned the palate with water and then ate a same sized piece with skin from the traeger bird. Before making her decision she repeated the process and chose................TRAEGER! She liked the taste and texture of it better than the keg! I wasn't counting on that to be honest with you. I then tried it myself and you all KNOW I love my kegs but I have to agree, the Traeger chicken had a better texture and flavor. We both agree that the Keg chicken was a little moister however.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. I bought the Traeger because I was curious and the price was RIGHT! The keg simply is more versatile of a cooker in my opinion but the little Traeger earned some respect from the Mrs tonight and that ain't a bad thing!

Both Rubbed With Plowboy's Yardbird

Chicken on Keg

Chicken on Traeger

Kegged Chick to the left, Traeger to the right

Kegged foreground, Traeger in the back

Traeger foreground, Kegged in the back

Keg

Traeger

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
Good thread RG. Those of us with multiple cookers have a pretty good idea which cooker cooks a particular type or cut of meat better than the others. Our experience makes it so we can put out very good food from any of the arsenal. But the "best" may be very subjective as to the process. My GMG pellet grill can give me an 8 rating on just about anything with my eyes closed and letting it do all the work, versus another grill. Yet I can tweak a few things on any other grill and get a better showing than the pellet grill. It seems for you your go-to-cooker is your kegs, for me it's my PK. I enjoy using all of my grills at different times. They are like children, all are different, but loved just the same! When I decide on the gist of the meal, I usually pick the grill best suited for that particular meat, but sometimes I pick a grill because of my mood! A good cook can cook on anything and bring forth a fine meal as they say.
And you are right it is fun to pit one against the other.
Lastly, this forum is very big on mutual respect for others and their chosen brands of cookers. This is about food but fun is right up there as well. So here, we can say just about anything as long as we aren't offensive to our fellow forum mates. And that is a great thing!
On with the cooking! ;)

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
Hiker, you hit the nail on the head. People tend to get SO passionate about their favorite grills and I get it, really I do. I just am not one to sit idle. If I can "up my game" by expanding my horizons with another cooker (or 6) then why not give it a whirl? I was one of those people who used to turn my nose up at electric smokers. I hate to say it, but it was true. That changed when I started looking into catering and I found what would be right for me in the way of an electric smoker so I took a big chance (at the high school dance with a missy who was ready to play) and ordered a Smokin-It #3 and I have to say it was a game changer! I never thought that an electric could smoke better than my Kegs, and it DOES! (sorry for the Aerosmith, I couldn't help it! Actually does one apologize for Aerosmith? I think not. :P)

You're right about the Kegs though, they wear many hats and do it well. It is THE single most versatile thing I have. Bar none. BUT (never start a sentence with but they say, "they" can kiss it!) it's not my best cooker for all things. Everything I own has its place, and I am cool with that!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 12:23:31 PM »
Electric smokers have a place on my deck as well. They do a great job and are just so simple in design.

......and.......never....ever....does anyone have to apologize about Aerosmith  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
That's some good tests and comparisons Guy!!! Good post!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 07:33:33 PM »
A lot has changed since this old post :P

I am down to 1 Keg (had 3), I no longer have a Traeger and the Smokin-It is gone as well. I have pretty well found what I like at this point I guess but I still like to experiment with different cookers.