Author Topic: Grill Vs. Grill  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Grill Vs. Grill
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
I'd like to see a cook-off with the KBQ against anything you have left.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »
I realized my talents will never be like all of yours on this site.....But I still love it lol. I like my gas grill for chicken parts, lamb chops, dogs & burgers. My Weber charcoal for steaks, & my big easy for whole birds & my sizzle-Q for breakfast on the gasser....I will cook a steak on my gasser when in a rush.

This year I plan to do some cooking on the boat kabobs, burgers dogs & Steaks on my Magma Grill.

Like RG I am selling grills off as I have way too many. I need to raise money for a windless on my boat lol.

BUT if I were to buy a grill it might be a charcoal grill for the boat....we shall see how this year goes.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
Hey RG what brand of pellet are you using? Cooking on my pellet grill I find it dries things out a lot compared to my Keg.
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:12 PM »
Hey RG what brand of pellet are you using? Cooking on my pellet grill I find it dries things out a lot compared to my Keg.

You are exactly right about the drying out part. That's why I like certain things cooked on different cookers. The Keg is a very moist environment so that doesn't lend itself too well for cooks that you want to have a dry cooking environment. I don't do briskets and butts on pellet grills/smokers for that reason. I think pellet grills are TOO dry but I also think a Kamado is TOO wet, there's an in between that I like and that is the KBQ.

I do like ribs on pellet grills though, they're actually my favorite thing to cook on a pellet grill. Just enough smoke (for me) and just dry enough and wet enough to make a proper bark. Not brisket or butt bark but great for a rib.

As for brand of pellet, I just use Pit Boss Competition Blend and like it. I used to use cookingpellets.com or lumberjack but I get a much better value out of the Pit Boss ones.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
Good info about pellet grills, I wasn't aware they were a dry enviroment, must we why there's a lot of spritzin going on when I watch videos on YouTube.  I had been thinking about getting a pellet grill but clean-up also seems to be a pain.  Seems like they don't use a drip pan under the meat.  When doing butts or brisket on my keg I get a lot of liquid in the drip pan, can't imagine all that just falling into the cooking chamber of a pellet grill.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Good info about pellet grills, I wasn't aware they were a dry enviroment, must we why there's a lot of spritzin going on when I watch videos on YouTube.  I had been thinking about getting a pellet grill but clean-up also seems to be a pain.  Seems like they don't use a drip pan under the meat.  When doing butts or brisket on my keg I get a lot of liquid in the drip pan, can't imagine all that just falling into the cooking chamber of a pellet grill.

Since its not double wall insulated like the keg, it doesn't trap in moisture. They act like what they are, a regular style grill. As for cleanup, it's also like a regular grill, it's just that they do have a heat shield that can get greasy but you can cover with foil to help.

Also, if you were to cook a butt, cook it on a rack, over a drip pan, works fine.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
Our vertical Pit Boss pellet smoker has a water tray that sits over the flame director so I have never had dry food off of it. I am sure a water tray could be used in pellet grills with some success...…..
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 06:01:22 PM »
Our vertical Pit Boss pellet smoker has a water tray that sits over the flame director so I have never had dry food off of it. I am sure a water tray could be used in pellet grills with some success...…..

It could be done I'm sure, that's a good idea for Bamabob :) Now he needs to go get into the pellet world of cookery!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
You can do it Bamabob, just jump in the proverbial hopper  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bamabob

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
You can do it Bamabob, just jump in the proverbial hopper  :)

It could be done I'm sure, that's a good idea for Bamabob :) Now he needs to go get into the pellet world of cookery!

I too was one that was considering pulling the trigger on the Weber Smokefire until seeing the reviews and all the problems with it. I'm also one of those in a cooking grilling rut like Cajunate, haven't done much smoking lately, probably a couple of briskets, a few racks of ribs and 3 or 4 butts in the past year, making it hard to justify the expense of another smoker.   Mainly using the Weber gasser for some quick grilling of chicken, salmon, burgers, brats and dogs.  My soon to be 10 year old kamado big steel keg still serves me well, love the versatility, a jack of all trades I suppose while a master of none.
I think if I ever decide to pull the trigger on another smoker it would most likely be a true stick burner, probably the KBQ.   Between the KBQ, my keg and my Weber I could do everything from true wood fired bbq to 700* pizzas and wood fired steaks to quick and easy burgers and brats. 

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline bamabob

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 05:09:38 PM »

X2 but I would need a taste before pulling the trigger on a KBQ!  See post above

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »

I can save you the trouble, the KBQ wins on anything smoked. Not even a contest. You'd have to taste the food from a KBQ to know what I am talking about really. It's a pain to babysit, it really is, but the end result is stellar.

For quick meals, it's hard to beat a pellet grill. It has the "ready to cook quick" simplicity of a gas grill so it's tough to beat for convenience.

Offline bamabob

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »

I can save you the trouble, the KBQ wins on anything smoked. Not even a contest. You'd have to taste the food from a KBQ to know what I am talking about really. It's a pain to babysit, it really is, but the end result is stellar.

For quick meals, it's hard to beat a pellet grill. It has the "ready to cook quick" simplicity of a gas grill so it's tough to beat for convenience.

the pain to babysit along with the need to source wood and cut to just the right size is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on a KBQ.  I have no doubt it produces serious Q, but find it hard to justify the time and effort.

I can get my keg up to temp about as quick as my Weber by using my battery operated leaf blower to stoke the fire. 

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »
Cutting the wood for the KBQ is not a big deal. I have wood delivered from whomever is selling on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. I take my old ass Ryobi miter saw and cut down from there. If you're comfortable getting up early and being near the fire for the day, adding wood every 30-45 minutes then it's not a big deal. I've grown used to it at this point. Coming from a Keg with an Auber, sleeping while it smokes, it was a change for sure. Also, my Smokin-It #3 was easy peezy and made better butts than the Keg and even a pellet grill is pretty much set it and forget it, as long as you make sure the hopper never runs out, lol.

If nothing else, I think you'd love a pellet grill! I've said many times before, I'll NEVER not own a pellet grill. I'd take one any day over a Kamado but that's what suits MY style of cooking. I can anything on the pellet grill that I can on a Kamado. I can sear a steak at 1000 degrees, I can bake on it, I can smoke on it and yes, I can just plain old grill on it!

I know many on here have high dollar pellet grills and I am sure that they are worth every penny but my advice to you is buy a Pit Boss or Louisiana Pellet grill (made by the same company) or a Green Mountain or Camp Chef. If you like it and want to upgrade to a Mak or Memphis or a Yoder, then you can always do that later on. I have been happy with the "budget" versions myself, including the Traeger.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »
Good information on an old topic.

RG--of the pellet grills you mentioned, which one is the easiest clean up, and how would you handle the "dryness" complaints?

I am still real old school. I still use my old Big Red 4 burner Charbroil, and my smoker is a real old school electric.