Author Topic: Traeger PTG - $249.99 - Nov. 16th ONLY  (Read 4718 times)

Offline MossyMO

Traeger PTG - $249.99 - Nov. 16th ONLY
« Reply #-1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
http://www.traegergrills.com/ptg

So I have been trying to follow muebe's thread on this topic and see he changed out to a digital display; what is the cost there and after that modification is this worth the price for camping/tailgating?

Really would like to hear everyone's thoughts; good or bad.

One concern I have had looking at the set up is humidity from cooking with the cooking chamber and hopper in the same cabinet, then have pellet moisture problems in the auger and/or fire pot. Is this something for me to be concerned with?

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Traeger PTG - $249.99 - Nov. 16th ONLY
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
I too would like Muebe's review of the grill as thats a good price for a pellet Grill for just the wife and I. I was wondering what is the highest seering temp he achieved with the Modification and would it maintain120° thru 165° F for Sausage drying if I just wanted to do a coil of kilbasa?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
Has anyone considered the Academy Sports Pellet Grill? It is $299, made by Treager, and larger than the PTG....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
So there is some interest in this little cooker ;)

Mossy I will address some of your questions first...

The controller that comes with the PTG is a 3 speed controller that runs the auger on pre-set timings. So it is not a thermostat. It worked ok but did not obtain very high temps. Also that controller is not compatible with a modified sine-wave inverter. My plan is to run it while I am camping on a inverter so a controller change out was already in the plans.

There is a digital controller available from Traeger that plugs right into the connectors and is a direct replacement for $113.00 http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC233

Here is a Ortech controller that is also a direct replacement and is $89.95 http://www.bbqislandinc.com/ortech-brinkman-pellet-digital-replacement-control.html

Now the controller I installed is a PID controller. It is not a direct replacement and will require some re-wiring. The controller costs $46.50 http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=237. The temp probe costs $11.95 http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=101. And the panel mount connector for the thermocouple is $5.95 http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_34&products_id=119

The PID controller is going to give the best results. You can set unlimited temps and dial the temp to stay within a few degrees or create swings for smoke. When I was running the PID at 180F in manual mode I had a continuous steady stream of smoke. Then I was able to get it up to 550F without a problem to sear a Tri-Tip. But it requires some modification to install. I disassembled the 3 speed controller and modified it to mount my PID controller by cutting a square in the panel for the controller to mount in. I used the molex connectors from the 3 speed controller on the new PID so it plugs in like the old controller. I also cut a small hole in the case to install the panel mounted thermocouple plug. I can move the thermocouple to any part of the grill and disconnect it from the front panel for transport. The blower is wired to run when plugged into power and the PID is powered from the switch. This setup allows me to leave the fan on with the controller off during cool down. The only thing I have left to install is a 5 amp fuse to protect everything. I plan on installing the fuse holder as a panel mount on the front for easy replacement.

The pellet compartment has a door that covers the pellets and on the inside of the lid there is a panel that separates the grill compartment from the pellet compartment when closed. I have not had any trouble with moisture getting into the pellets and don't anticipate that problem.

The whole idea behind this grill is the portability aspect so yes you can buy a Academy Sports Pellet Grill for $299 but it is substantially larger and not portable. If looking for a home pellet grill then the Academy one is a better option but if looking for a camping grill this is a better choice IMHO.

The lid has two clamps that when closed secure the lid to the body. You can then use the handle to carry it like a suitcase. It is hefty at around 40 lbs but you can remove the grill, drain pan, ect to lighten the load a bit.

With the PID I think the lowest temp you could maintain is probably 160F without a flame out. Any lower and you could risk a flame out. I have the PID set to fire up the hot rod at 165F to keep the fire going or re-ignite if the fire goes out.

Overall I have been very impressed with the performance of this grill and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new camping/tailgating grill.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sloman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »
Great info muebe!!  I would really like to try one of those out.  It looks like it is doing everything you want it to do.  That price that Marty has posted looks great too..  As a GMG dealer I can still get their new Tailgater for less as a dealer, but am really getting tired of waiting.  They are saying March now, last I heard..  We have high hopes for selling some at the RV parks here at the Dunes and I wouldn't mind offering this one if Treager would let me.

I read some comments online about the Academy Grill and they were all pretty negative..

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
I cant find a pellet pooper at academy sports. Thanks for the nice reveiw Muebe.