Author Topic: So, how did you get your start?  (Read 70322 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 04:40:20 AM »
The first memory I have of charcoal was at my great uncle's house in Pittsburgh for 4th of July.  He made brats, and they were amazing.  My dad only used a gas grill, and we would do the standard burgers, dogs, london broil, and hammered chicken breasts (always over cooked and dry).  Hated chicken for this reason, until I started grilling.  Somehow we ended up with a Jumbo Joe and I liked ribs, and all I knew was low and slow so I experimented with indirected cooking with basic instinct of coals on one side, food on the other isn't as hot.  I went away to college grill at home I came home one summer and slow roasted/smoked some chicken breast splits, that everyone really liked.  Then for father's day I tried a leg of lamb (bone in).  Next summer, my parents bought me a smokey joe for my birthday (it's in May) one year and I never opened it.  My mom refused to allow my dad to cook on charcoal because his food wasn't as good as mine, so I took the Jumbo Joe back to school with me for tailgating PSU football games.  Charcoal wasn't allowed on the grass fields so I usually had to wait until enough cars were around us to fire it up, but I became the grill man. 

When I finished school, and moved home, I couldn't find a job as a meteorologist, so I worked in a kitchen at night to allow day time to apply for jobs that never panned out.  Went to the family business of a commercial bakery, bought a house and bought a half gas grill, half smoker that last 2 years (stupid waste of money).  Got married and the wife bought me a PBC one christmas, I found an older Weber Genesis, that I updated burners, manifold, and GrillGrates, now it burns like new, and then found an old New Braunfels Black Diamond offset on craigslist. I still have the Jumbo Joe, and it's still my favorite.  I'm afraid the offset will not get used at all this summer as we have newborn (Groundhog day), but I'm hoping to at least be able to use the PBC if it ever warms up.  Gasser gets the weekday work out in the summer, but weekends we both like the charcoal better, so as long as its only the two of us having dinner we use that... Although I have not mastered the art of grilling bread on the charcoal, and we love grilled bread with dinner.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Hub

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 07:05:14 AM »
My dad cooked steaks on a backyard hand-built brick grill when I was a wee tyke back in the early fifties.  Most people didn't know how to use charcoal back then and "cooking out" was not the common event it is now.  The neighbors saw the smoke and thought something was on fire.  Mom cut me a piece of her steak and I reluctantly tried it.  Wow!  I was hooked.  I didn't know it then, but later in my life I'd get into grilling and smoking because stuff that's cooked outside over wood just tastes a lot better than indoor chow.  Thanks, Dad!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
I grew up with just a dad.  It was charcoal for everything.  It was a opened grill with a handle you could spin and raise the grill grate up and down.  It was either direct or indirect cooking.  All proteins, veges, fruit and Popp opened biscuits.  So when I got stationed on my ship after boot camp I took a little smokey Joe with me that my dad bought me for getting thru boot camp.  One night few of us just got off the 8-12 watch.  We push the huey out of the helo deck onto the flight deck.  We tied her down.  I broke out my little smokey Joe and some kingsford.  Well... About 0100 the captain comes walking thru the helo deck.  The whole place is dark except a light over the BBQ with me kneeling down over the smokey Joe flipping hamburgers and T- bone steaks.  The captain says who's bbq is that and do you guys know there are 55 gallon drums of JP5 (helo fuel) over in the corner.  It's my bbq sir and I knew about the JP5 drums.  The next thing I said was  "sir how would you like your steak cooked?".  He said, " seaman Rowe, did you break into the gallery?". The chief cook Eli comes out of the shadows and said he supplied the left over steaks from dinner.  The captain says how many are you here.  15 of my friends come out into the light.  The captain  leaves and come back with 2 cases of Hamms beer.  Seaman Rowe medium rare on the steak.  He sat there until 4am eating and drinking with us.  I'll never forget that.  All because my little smokey Joe.  I have had on ever since (jumbo joe now).  I love charcoal.

Great story. 
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
This thread is great. Could probably rename it "BBQ Roots" and pin it.  With 2100 members, some of the stories have got be amazing.  But every one is unique.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »
I am a late bloomer to cooking. My first grill was a Weber charcoal grill that I picked up in 1998. I only used it a few times as life kept getting in the way to really learn it. I ended up selling it and I didn’t grab another grill until around 2000. This time it was a Charbroil gasser and I loved to cook salmon, burgers and veggies on it. I am originally from the west coast where you could get good salmon at a reasonable price. When we moved to Georgia I picked up a Masterbuilt electric smoker and got the bug for smoking meats. I was lucky enough to go to a 2-day BBQ competition class which was open to all cooks. Once I completed this class I decided the electric smoker wasn’t going to cut it. I then bought a Weber Smokey Mountain and used it for quite a few years. During that period, I picked up several more Weber grills and smokers. At one time I had 13 different Weber grills. I have since trimmed the herd down to 3 Webers. In 2013, after several months of research and joining this forum, I ventured into pellet smoking. I bought a Blaz’n Grillworks Grid Iron and since then I have added a Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill. I also have a 22” Blackstone griddle. The kids have families of their own now and they inherited a lot of my old grills and smokers. Since I am retired and have lots of time on my hands I have been experimenting a lot with Sous Vide cooking. Combining Sous Vide with BBQ is a win win situation!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
I am a late bloomer to cooking. My first grill was a Weber charcoal grill that I picked up in 1998. I only used it a few times as life kept getting in the way to really learn it. I ended up selling it and I didn’t grab another grill until around 2000. This time it was a Charbroil gasser and I loved to cook salmon, burgers and veggies on it. I am originally from the west coast where you could get good salmon at a reasonable price. When we moved to Georgia I picked up a Masterbuilt electric smoker and got the bug for smoking meats. I was lucky enough to go to a 2-day BBQ competition class which was open to all cooks. Once I completed this class I decided the electric smoker wasn’t going to cut it. I then bought a Weber Smokey Mountain and used it for quite a few years. During that period, I picked up several more Weber grills and smokers. At one time I had 13 different Weber grills. I have since trimmed the herd down to 3 Webers. In 2013, after several months of research and joining this forum, I ventured into pellet smoking. I bought a Blaz’n Grillworks Grid Iron and since then I have added a Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill. I also have a 22” Blackstone griddle. The kids have families of their own now and they inherited a lot of my old grills and smokers. Since I am retired and have lots of time on my hands I have been experimenting a lot with Sous Vide cooking. Combining Sous Vide with BBQ is a win win situation!

SOUS-VIDE-QUE  :thumbup:
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/sous-vide-que-marrying-grill-and-smoker-sous-vide
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
I grew up with just a dad.  It was charcoal for everything.  It was a opened grill with a handle you could spin and raise the grill grate up and down.  It was either direct or indirect cooking.  All proteins, veges, fruit and Popp opened biscuits.  So when I got stationed on my ship after boot camp I took a little smokey Joe with me that my dad bought me for getting thru boot camp.  One night few of us just got off the 8-12 watch.  We push the huey out of the helo deck onto the flight deck.  We tied her down.  I broke out my little smokey Joe and some kingsford.  Well... About 0100 the captain comes walking thru the helo deck.  The whole place is dark except a light over the BBQ with me kneeling down over the smokey Joe flipping hamburgers and T- bone steaks.  The captain says who's bbq is that and do you guys know there are 55 gallon drums of JP5 (helo fuel) over in the corner.  It's my bbq sir and I knew about the JP5 drums.  The next thing I said was  "sir how would you like your steak cooked?".  He said, " seaman Rowe, did you break into the gallery?". The chief cook Eli comes out of the shadows and said he supplied the left over steaks from dinner.  The captain says how many are you here.  15 of my friends come out into the light.  The captain  leaves and come back with 2 cases of Hamms beer.  Seaman Rowe medium rare on the steak.  He sat there until 4am eating and drinking with us.  I'll never forget that.  All because my little smokey Joe.  I have had on ever since (jumbo joe now).  I love charcoal.
Love it!!! Something tells me you were:

A) The class clown growing up
B) You know how to wiggle your way out of a jam

You crack me up, Gus!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

So, how did you get your start?
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
Love these stories! Keep em’ coming!!!! :)

Oh yeah, still waiting on Tee to give us the “real” news! ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
My Dad tough me when I was young to use a grill (Weber 22in charcoal) at the time I didn't know there was any other grill out there

He would do burgers and hotdogs, chicken and smoked turkeys with that grill.

Later in life I married Kimmie and her father was a farmer/rancher we had over 800+ cattle between the two farms so meat was no issue at all.
I bought my first Weber grill when we first got married and thought I knew everything about grilling boy was I wrong!  I could do burgers and hotdogs but

nothing else.  I tried ribs and thought oh 45 mins should be plenty of time WRONG!!!  LOL

After a few BAD cooks and learning I finial became comfortable enough to try different things.

In 2007 I bought my first of 6 Big Easy's oil less fryers. I was hooked and joined the old CharBroil site which CB Martin made me the Big Easy guest chef for

that site.  I would cook all kind things in it from burgers to ribs to turkeys to London broil to Beef Wellington!! 

The Turtle once asked about Beef Welling ton and I jumped at the chance to try it in the Big Easy and IMHO nailed it ;)

Since then I have bought and was given over 17 different grills, smokers infrared units!

At this time I own 14 cookers of some kind and would love to add more:) 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline skidog

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »
Hmmm. The house I grew up in had a fireplace, upstairs it was 2 sided, downstairs one sided, but it also had a grill built in with a rotisserie( this was separate and higher than the fireplace portion), unfortunately I don't ever remember it being used! :'( I would kill for that setup now. Instead I remember a red gas grill and pork chops cooked until dry! My dad still likes the pork chops cooked till extra crispy.

When I was 12 my Uncle married a lady from Texas and a couple years later he discovered Lyfe tyme bbq pits on a trip back to Texas. Soon after they started the outdoor cooking store. He drove his truck and 5th wheel trailer down, filled it with Lyfe tyme pits and drove them back to Minnesota. For the first couple years the store was in the pole barn. Around 1994 they rented a space and moved to White Bear lake. I had never seen anything like the Lyfe tyme pits and I don't think many Minnesotans had. So that was my first time actually bbqing anything. They sold everything. First time I had seen a Green egg, Holland Grill, Traeger grill, the keg, pellets, anything and everything outdoor cooking they had. So that was really my first intro to bbqing and all the different options.

When i bought my house in 1999 I bought a kingsford charcoal grill from Menards and used that for grilling and 2 zone cooking. Finally last year I bought my Davy Crockett. Oh, and because of you guys I also have a cook-air, 28in blackstone, SRG and some other pieces.

For you guys that love restoring old grills you would have been in heaven. They would take the old grills from people after delivering the new ones, that's where my 86 Weber gasser came from, and stock pile them at the farm. Eventually breaking them down and making a trip to recycle. But oh how huge that pile would get. Wish I would have been more into cooking and a little older then.

Anyway, that's how I was exposed to bbq. They were always cooking something, both at home and at the store.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
I have made this post a sticky so we can continue on with new members and more old members adding their stories. This is an excellent and very entertaining post.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Hmmm. The house I grew up in had a fireplace, upstairs it was 2 sided, downstairs one sided, but it also had a grill built in with a rotisserie( this was separate and higher than the fireplace portion), unfortunately I don't ever remember it being used! :'( I would kill for that setup now. Instead I remember a red gas grill and pork chops cooked until dry! My dad still likes the pork chops cooked till extra crispy.

When I was 12 my Uncle married a lady from Texas and a couple years later he discovered Lyfe tyme bbq pits on a trip back to Texas. Soon after they started the outdoor cooking store. He drove his truck and 5th wheel trailer down, filled it with Lyfe tyme pits and drove them back to Minnesota. For the first couple years the store was in the pole barn. Around 1994 they rented a space and moved to White Bear lake. I had never seen anything like the Lyfe tyme pits and I don't think many Minnesotans had. So that was my first time actually bbqing anything. They sold everything. First time I had seen a Green egg, Holland Grill, Traeger grill, the keg, pellets, anything and everything outdoor cooking they had. So that was really my first intro to bbqing and all the different options.

When i bought my house in 1999 I bought a kingsford charcoal grill from Menards and used that for grilling and 2 zone cooking. Finally last year I bought my Davy Crockett. Oh, and because of you guys I also have a cook-air, 28in blackstone, SRG and some other pieces.

For you guys that love restoring old grills you would have been in heaven. They would take the old grills from people after delivering the new ones, that's where my 86 Weber gasser came from, and stock pile them at the farm. Eventually breaking them down and making a trip to recycle. But oh how huge that pile would get. Wish I would have been more into cooking and a little older then.

Anyway, that's how I was exposed to bbq. They were always cooking something, both at home and at the store.

That right there would be a dream come true... to have an outdoor cooking store.  I would love that!  Anyone interested in on a partnership (and funding it)??? ;)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
So far as my story goes...I didn't grow up in a family that did much in the way of outdoor cooking. I would say that my love and fascination with REAL BBQ started in the 1980s when a true Texas style bbq restaurant opened in the Portland area. I jokingly claim that I helped to pay off that building and help them expand to 3 locations.

From there, came the desire to do bbq on my own at home. I started out with an inexpensive watersmoker and began experimenting and cooking. In the meantime, I sought out every book on the subject, building a barbecue library-which today-is about 200 volumes. In 1991, I became a dedicated "pellethead" when I got introduced to Traeger (manufactured 22 miles from my home. I had been writing a twice monthly column for the local paper called On Barbecue.

I got a phone call from Randy Traeger asking me to come out and see this revolutionary new type of barbecue that used wood pellets. I did, and was mildly amused, because I was a barbecue purist.  It wasn't until I attended the first NBBQA conference/trade show that I REALLY got hooked on pellet grills, when one of their distributors was demonstrating the Traeger and served brisket, tri-tip and ribs. Man! The smoke flavor was spot on.  I got home, called Randy and said, "I want one!" He said come and get it.

So that was 1991. Between then and 1999, my wife and I cooked in bbq competitions using our Traeger and winning at least one ribbon at each competition. We were 7 points away from a perfect score in our brisket entry at a cookoff held in Albany, OR. During the state fair, we'd hang out with the dealer who was selling spas and Traegers. In one instance, my wife and I sold 10-15 Traegers in two hours! (the person manning the booth at the fair had no idea how to explain pellet grills).

In 1999, Randy asked me to come to work with him, "Papa Joe", Mark, Brian, Greg in the capacity of Director of Marketing. That gig lasted until 2009, when I left the company because all of the manufacturing had shifted to China in late 2008. The company had sold in 2006, and the new owner (who lived in NYC) was a basket case. His style of management was ruining my health, and I hit the exit door.

The day following my leaving Traeger, I headed over to Dallas, OR, where I had heard about a new company manufacturing a wood pellet grill. It was MAK GRILLS.  I will confess that my expectations were pretty low. That was UNTIL I SAW THE 2 STAR. It BLEW MY MIND! It had features on it that no other pellet grill had (it was still a limited market with about 6 different brands). It was also very expensive @ $1999.00. (I laugh now because those were the "good ole days"). The higher price was due to the fact that MAK purposely chose to build a grill using AMERICAN-MADE components and materials. It was their #1 mission to help keep American-based manufacturing viable. (remember this was during the Great Recession of 2008-2010). 

The following week, I approached Bob & Kerrie about doing some marketing work for them. They, fortunately, said, "That sounds like a good idea!". On January 4,2010, I became the first MAK Grills employee, and have worked there ever since. 

I think that the one thing that continues to impress me about the company I work for is the dedication MAK has to constantly innovate and improve the grills we are making. The 2 Star of today has seen many improvements and upgrades.

Like so many of you, when it comes to cooking outdoors, there is only ONE unit I cook on, my MAK PELLET GRILL. It's been the only thing I cooked on in my backyard since 1991.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
So far as my story goes...I didn't grow up in a family that did much in the way of outdoor cooking. I would say that my love and fascination with REAL BBQ started in the 1980s when a true Texas style bbq restaurant opened in the Portland area. I jokingly claim that I helped to pay off that building and help them expand to 3 locations.

From there, came the desire to do bbq on my own at home. I started out with an inexpensive watersmoker and began experimenting and cooking. In the meantime, I sought out every book on the subject, building a barbecue library-which today-is about 200 volumes. In 1991, I became a dedicated "pellethead" when I got introduced to Traeger (manufactured 22 miles from my home. I had been writing a twice monthly column for the local paper called On Barbecue.

I got a phone call from Randy Traeger asking me to come out and see this revolutionary new type of barbecue that used wood pellets. I did, and was mildly amused, because I was a barbecue purist.  It wasn't until I attended the first NBBQA conference/trade show that I REALLY got hooked on pellet grills, when one of their distributors was demonstrating the Traeger and served brisket, tri-tip and ribs. Man! The smoke flavor was spot on.  I got home, called Randy and said, "I want one!" He said come and get it.

So that was 1991. Between then and 1999, my wife and I cooked in bbq competitions using our Traeger and winning at least one ribbon at each competition. We were 7 points away from a perfect score in our brisket entry at a cookoff held in Albany, OR. During the state fair, we'd hang out with the dealer who was selling spas and Traegers. In one instance, my wife and I sold 10-15 Traegers in two hours! (the person manning the booth at the fair had no idea how to explain pellet grills).

In 1999, Randy asked me to come to work with him, "Papa Joe", Mark, Brian, Greg in the capacity of Director of Marketing. That gig lasted until 2009, when I left the company because all of the manufacturing had shifted to China in late 2008. The company had sold in 2006, and the new owner (who lived in NYC) was a basket case. His style of management was ruining my health, and I hit the exit door.

The day following my leaving Traeger, I headed over to Dallas, OR, where I had heard about a new company manufacturing a wood pellet grill. It was MAK GRILLS.  I will confess that my expectations were pretty low. That was UNTIL I SAW THE 2 STAR. It BLEW MY MIND! It had features on it that no other pellet grill had (it was still a limited market with about 6 different brands). It was also very expensive @ $1999.00. (I laugh now because those were the "good ole days"). The higher price was due to the fact that MAK purposely chose to build a grill using AMERICAN-MADE components and materials. It was their #1 mission to help keep American-based manufacturing viable. (remember this was during the Great Recession of 2008-2010). 

The following week, I approached Bob & Kerrie about doing some marketing work for them. They, fortunately, said, "That sounds like a good idea!". On January 4,2010, I became the first MAK Grills employee, and have worked there ever since. 

I think that the one thing that continues to impress me about the company I work for is the dedication MAK has to constantly innovate and improve the grills we are making. The 2 Star of today has seen many improvements and upgrades.

Like so many of you, when it comes to cooking outdoors, there is only ONE unit I cook on, my MAK PELLET GRILL. It's been the only thing I cooked on in my backyard since 1991.

AWESOME story, thanks for sharing :)

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »

Sparky I think we love the same girl ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  Charcoal for me too ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill