Author Topic: electrician knowledge needed  (Read 725 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

electrician knowledge needed
« Reply #-1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
I have a new refrigerator and I was super excited to put the old one in basement. So being unprepared like usual a friend and I muscled it into the basement and the back room where I planned on putting it has no spot for it. I have a nice Lionel train set taking up all the room . That's another post lol. So the only spot is next to washing machine and I have to share that outfit. I know this isint good. I'm pretty sure that's too much of a load when the washer is going. Here's the question part.
1. Will unplugging the fridge daily ruin the compressor / harm the fridge ?
2. Will running both simultaneously burn my house down ?

Eventually I guess I'll run wiring from the beakerl box to a new outlet so fridge has its own dedicated outlet. Problem is I'll have to pay an electrician to do that because I don't have the skills to do it myself. Would this expense be worth it ? I really want a second fridge
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: electrician knowledge needed
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
I have a new refrigerator and I was super excited to put the old one in basement. So being unprepared like usual a friend and I muscled it into the basement and the back room where I planned on putting it has no spot for it. I have a nice Lionel train set taking up all the room . That's another post lol. So the only spot is next to washing machine and I have to share that outfit. I know this isint good. I'm pretty sure that's too much of a load when the washer is going. Here's the question part.
1. Will unplugging the fridge daily ruin the compressor / harm the fridge ?
2. Will running both simultaneously burn my house down ?

Eventually I guess I'll run wiring from the beakerl box to a new outlet so fridge has its own dedicated outlet. Problem is I'll have to pay an electrician to do that because I don't have the skills to do it myself. Would this expense be worth it ? I really want a second fridge

I short pay the electrician & have a second fridge
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
1. Are both the washer and fridge 120 volt ?

2. Can you ascertain what the amp draw of each - under full load...not "running amps"

3. Once you know the combined number of  full load amps - you may have options.

4. You may be able to upgrade the breakers on that circuit to accommodate the amp load...*IF*

5. The wiring that runs from the breaker box to the outlets is of a gage that is sufficient for said up grading of the breaker, and still allow 20% headroom.

Daily unplugging/re-plugging your fridge may shorten the life of the compressor slightly. Compressors consume the most electricity - and are under the most strain - when they start up. I am sure you have heard the additional sound coming from a compressor on start up.
I do not know of any risk to your house....as long as the breaker senses overload - it will pop and protect the circuit. HOWEVER...you really should have an electrician come look at it. It may be as simple as running another circuit to accommodate the fridge - given that you have room in your breaker panel for another circuit. It is worth doing and doing the right way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:06:06 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the info
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
45 years as an electrician here so I have a little back ground on the subject. If it is an older fridge I would have a dedicated circuit for it and it alone ( frankly the same goes for a new fridge ). IMHO not a wise move unplugging and plugging in multiple times. If unplugged for any length of time when plugging back in the compressor will likely be called for and thats a heck of what is called an inrush current surge. Either the plug to the fridge will eventually fail or the outlet will. Neither designed to be used as a switch so to speak. Besides I can see that in no time you or your wife would get real tired of changing the plug in arrangement. As fas as a fire hazard I would say probably not but it would stress the outlet, the wiring and the circuit breaker or fuse which could eventually fail when needed. Your washing machine circuit according to NEC codes is to have it's own dedicated circuit so if nothing else you would be in violation of electrical codes.
Bottom line is install or have installed a dedicated circuit or at the very least a 20 amp rated convenience circuit that has little if any load. Good luck and feel free to Pm me if you have questions.
Dave
MAK #3591

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
Dave R is right on.   I spent a few years (in my off time) working with an electrician and anytime there was a fridge we always wired it up as on dedicated  outlet same for washers.

Now I don't have Dave's years in it but he is right  :thumbup:  When I built my cooking shed I have three different outlets dedicated for fridge, outlets and my RecTec RT680
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »
Dave R is right on.   I spent a few years (in my off time) working with an electrician and anytime there was a fridge we always wired it up as on dedicated  outlet same for washers.

Now I don't have Dave's years in it but he is right  :thumbup:  When I built my cooking shed I have three different outlets dedicated for fridge, outlets and my RecTec RT680

So meat fridge, beer fridge, Rec Tec outlet.. I like that
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
This forum is the best . Thanks for the valuable info
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline zueth

electrician knowledge needed
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
At my old house I had a fridge/freezer combo, chest freezer, and a kegerator on the same circuit and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
At my old house I had a fridge/freezer combo, chest freezer, and a kegerator on the same circuit and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That simply means the compressors on fridge and chest freezer never started at the same time assuming they are full sized appliances and not the little wanna be's, or you have zinsco breakers that have a history of failing to trip. The kegerator likely has little current draw even when the compressor starts. Or the circuit is sized above 20 amps which in older homes has been done. Not sure which of the above but in my world I'd be finding out and making some changes as needed. My $0.02 ;)
MAK #3591