Author Topic: Good Times of Your Life!  (Read 869 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Good Times of Your Life!
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
Hi guys, as I lay in bed last night, in between being asleep and awake, drifting off you might say, I just started to think of various happy spots in my life. There has been many that stand out, also some really bad times but that's life I guess. We all have our ups and downs. I then thought maybe it would be kinda neat for all of us to share a moment here and there, whether it be a little thing that brought us fleeting joy or maybe something monumental that was life changing (in a good way). We could all use more good news, positive vibes, etc... and I'm betting we all can relate to some of the stuff that has happened to each other.

To get the ball rolling, I remember when I was 4 years old my Dad drove a truck for a living. A tanker at the time. I remember him taking me down to the "Terminal" to let me see what he drove and I thought those Mack trucks with the bulldog hood ornaments were the coolest things in the world! He showed me off (his baby boy) to all the truckers there and the ladies in the office and then bought me an ice cold grape Nehi soda that he called a belly washer, lol. I still remember drinking that thing while looking at those nice, clean shiny tankers and being proud of my Dad!

So, who's next? I can't wait to read what y'all have to share :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Jaxon

Re: Good Times of Your Life!
« on: June 26, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
About 5 years ago, I was reading everything I could about how to cook bbq.  I watched a series of programs produced by Texas Public Television about Aaron Franklin and the way he cooked. I became very interested in Texas bbq, especially the old German meat markets in Central Texas - Kruetz, Smitty's, Black's, etc. How I wanted to visit those places!!
A year or two later, a couple of friends I met, here on the forum, surprised me .  IR2DUM lives in Houston and has been to those places a few times - knows all about 'em.  Albert Rivera lives in Alabama and loves cooking as much as I do.  They put together a trip I'll never forget.  Albert flies a Cessna.  He and I flew to Houston where Don picked us up at the airport.  He took us directly to a great bbq joint where they let us tour the back where the pits were going.  We went to his house for the night and got up early the next morning to head out on the "crawl".  We hit the City Market where we sampled their brisket, ribs, & sausage and took the tour of their pits. They took me to "bbq Mecca" - Lockhart - where we were able to get behind the counters and into the pit areas of the Big 3 there and and sampled THEIR brisket and sausage.  The pitmasters were so friendly and showed us everything - truly incredible. We got to Franklin's, in Austin, around 2:00.  Of course they were sold out and closed, but they let us in for a tour and took us out back to see their huge smokers.  Aaron was not there, but what a thrill to visit his place.  We got to Louie Mueller's - another landmark - just before they closed and had a sampling of his bbq.  We visited The Salt Lick, in Driftwood. I had watched a show on the Travel Channel that featured that place and knew about the pit they keep going just inside the front door. It was truly awesome to be there.  They, too, were very friendly and allowed us access to the cooking areas. I even got to mop some of the meat cooking  over the huge pit.  They had some of the best brisket of the day.
I think our last stop of the day was the Southside Market, in Elgin.  I was in a meat coma by then.  Though Don and Albert had some more meat to eat, I settled for some ice cream.
When we finally got back to Don's house, we relived the whole day, remembering and comparing notes on each place.
The next day, Don took us to BBQ Pits by Klose, where they make traditional and custom bbq smokers and pits.  It was like being in a fantasy land as we walked around and looked at their incredible creations.
On our way to the airport, Don took us to lunch at Killen's BBQ.  We met Ronnie Killen - chef/owner - who took us out back to show us the pits and talk bbq with us.  Dang! What a friendly guy!
It was finally time to head home. Don drove us to the airport, where we climbed back into the Cessna.  Albert was cleared for take-off and we climbed into the skies.  As we flew over Houston, I couldn't believe how big that place is - 4th largest city in the country. It seems like it took us over half an hour to get clear and finally head east, back to Alabama.  Albert is the most experienced pilot I have flown with and I felt completely safe and comfortable all the way home.  We talked about the "crawl" all the way and relived the whole experience with his wife that evening.  I slept like a baby that night.
The next morning, after breakfast, I got in my car and headed back to middle Georgia - about a 6 hour drive.  What do you suppose I was thinking about on the way home?
Yes sir, this was a once in a lifetime dream trip for me.
I am forever grateful to Don and Albert for making it a reality.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »
My life has certainly had it's us and downs like everyone else. There are many wonderful memories but the one that comes to mind foremost other than the day I got married was when our one and only daughter was born. We had been trying to start a family for roughly 5 years. The first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage. We where both devastated and frankly spoke about learning to live with it and move on. A few months later we find out we are expecting again and scared to death the results would be similar. The day our daughter was born both my wife and I where on such a happy high it's difficult to describe. Our daughter is now a healthy and happy 37 years old, married and has given us two wonderful grandkids. I simply can't imagine anything else topping that for me.
MAK #3591

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
My life has certainly had it's us and downs like everyone else. There are many wonderful memories but the one that comes to mind foremost other than the day I got married was when our one and only daughter was born. We had been trying to start a family for roughly 5 years. The first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage. We where both devastated and frankly spoke about learning to live with it and move on. A few months later we find out we are expecting again and scared to death the results would be similar. The day our daughter was born both my wife and I where on such a happy high it's difficult to describe. Our daughter is now a healthy and happy 37 years old, married and has given us two wonderful grandkids. I simply can't imagine anything else topping that for me.
\\I agree Dave great story
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:41:58 AM »
Jaxon has a pretty good story, and I loved having Jaxon and Albert visit, but I have a little different story. Back in 2011, during the existence of the old "Sizzle On The Grill" forum by CharBroil, I was talking with a bunch of internet friends. Friends that are still here on this forum. I really liked what Dee Stafford was saying on the forum so I messaged him and told him that I was coming through Augusta and if he had time, we could meet for a bite to eat and get to know each other. He agreed and we met and hit it off. He was organizing a Gathering in Augusta in late Sept of 2011. We drove out to Clark's Hill Lake and looked around a church camp that would be perfect for the Gathering. He booked it for an entire week. CharBroil sponsored the Gathering and open invitations went out over the forum.  There was a very good response. We had about 15 or 16 people show up. I met so many people. I probably can't remember everybody that was there (my apologies to those I forgot to mention) but I liked everyone. Besides Dee, I met Pam Gould and her friend, Donna. I met Old Dave and his wife Jan and little dog Barney. I met Mike Williams and Ladon from CharBroil. Barry "CB" Martin was there from CharBroil, but I had met him before. I met Tommy (TMB) and then Ken (twopockets) drove in from Birmingham for about 4 hours and then drove home because he was hosting an Alabama football viewing party that night. I met Terry and Kerry (from way down south in LA). I met Tim (teesquare) and Art (acw3). And I met Jaxon and Deb. Everybody was so friendly and engaging that we decided to do it again the next year. In 2012 almost all of the 2011 gang showed up again plus I met Mike (High on Smoke) and Cliff (tenthunter) and Rick (nepas) and John Ford (LA). In 2013, almost everybody showed up again plus we met Albert and Sylvia, and a surprise visit by The Turtle (KaHonu). We did it again in 2014. If any of you are interested, there is a video from every year on Youtube. Just look up Fall Gathering.

In the meantime, I was visiting Jaxon and Deb at Backyard Jack's in Byron, GA and Dee Stafford would drive over from Augusta to join in on the fun. Then Terry and Mike and Albert and Sylvia were meeting us and we decided to make it the Gathering place in the spring and in the fall of every year. Tim and Art and Mureen started coming and Ray (RAD) drove up with Terry and his brother-in-law.

Most all of these people are still here on this forum today and remain very near and dear to my heart. I have never had a better time than when I am hanging out with these guys and gals. I consider them all close friends. As some of you may know, my company lets me travel pretty luxuriously, but I elect to drive to Wilmington, NC twice a year so that I can stop in Augusta to have lunch with Dee on the way up and a week later on the way back, stop in Byron to meet all my friends that gather at Backyard Jacks for a couple of days, then stop in Mobile to have lunch with Terry and Kerry, and then spend a couple of days with the Turtle and LA in New Orleans. Its a good life and I am having the best time of my life.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

I'm in full agreement with Don here. The Gatherings have been a real highlight for me every year since we started having them. 
 I have not been able to pull off the Northern gathering yet but I surely hope to do so at some point. .  I miss seeing Y'all every year! Such great folks!

I've been blessed to have a lot of great experiences in my life, strangely many following a "not so great" experience that lead to something awesome.  God has blessed me so many times. 
   That first Char Broil gasser grill back in 2006 and website that went from emails back and forth to CB Martin to the Sizzle newsletter and then on to that forum and now on to this forum lead me to those experiences Don mentioned and could not have come at a better time in my life.   I consider everyone a good friend even if I'm not the best communicator. 
 And a special thanks to those that made this forum so we could continue on!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"   

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »

I'm in full agreement with Don here. The Gatherings have been a real highlight for me every year since we started having them. 
 I have not been able to pull off the Northern gathering yet but I surely hope to do so at some point. .  I miss seeing Y'all every year! Such great folks!

I've been blessed to have a lot of great experiences in my life, strangely many following a "not so great" experience that lead to something awesome.  God has blessed me so many times. 
   That first Char Broil gasser grill back in 2006 and website that went from emails back and forth to CB Martin to the Sizzle newsletter and then on to that forum and now on to this forum lead me to those experiences Don mentioned and could not have come at a better time in my life.   I consider everyone a good friend even if I'm not the best communicator. 
 And a special thanks to those that made this forum so we could continue on!

Wow Terry so well said...
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane