Author Topic: Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid
« Reply #-1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »
First I want to thank everyone for always being so helpful. I have gained a wealth of knowledge since I have joined this site. My family thanks you too because of the good eats I put out now. So here I am again with another question lol .
          I already own a KitchenAid. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never use it. It’s actually in the basement. Now that I have 3 kids that love bread I’m thinking of making homemade bread for them. I also want to start making homemade pizzas on my mak. So my first question is. Should I buy a bread maker machine ? I like things to be easy. Would this make it much easier ? Another question would be for pizza dough. Can the bread maker do that easy as well ? I know I have the kitchen aid already I’m just wondering to keep it in the basement and get the bread machine or not. I never used one and don’t know much about them . I’m thinking of buying a book : the bakers apprentice, would those recipes be good for a bread maker or only the kitchen aid. Thanks guys for any feedback!!!!!
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
First I want to thank everyone for always being so helpful. I have gained a wealth of knowledge since I have joined this site. My family thanks you too because of the good eats I put out now. So here I am again with another question lol .
          I already own a KitchenAid. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never use it. It’s actually in the basement. Now that I have 3 kids that love bread I’m thinking of making homemade bread for them. I also want to start making homemade pizzas on my mak. So my first question is. Should I buy a bread maker machine ? I like things to be easy. Would this make it much easier ? Another question would be for pizza dough. Can the bread maker do that easy as well ? I know I have the kitchen aid already I’m just wondering to keep it in the basement and get the bread machine or not. I never used one and don’t know much about them . I’m thinking of buying a book : the bakers apprentice, would those recipes be good for a bread maker or only the kitchen aid. Thanks guys for any feedback!!!!!
For my 2 cents worth....

For now use the KitchenAid till you know what you want to make.    A bread machine is good but all your doing is mixing dough and spending money.  The KA will mix dough just fine and to me easier clean up.   If it were me I would practice the different types of dough you want to make then see if it's spending money just to mix dough

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rexster314

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
Kinda depends. There's so much more you can do with the K/A. We have a Zojirushi purchased almost 10 years ago. I pull it out every so often because it's just set and forget, but I don't bake anything in it. I let it mix the dough, go through the rising stages, then pull it, knead/shape it, then into a regular bread pan for baking in the oven. I don't like the holes in the bottom of the finished bread that comes out of the breadmaker. Sometimes you have to dig out the mixing blades from the bread loaf, which for me, ruins the loaf.
So, if I'm making several loaves, I use my 8qt K/A, otherwise the Zoji for a single loaf. Cleanup is about the same for both.
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »
I have both and like both..the KitchenAid is good, but so is the breadmachine..I can make a 2# loaf in 58 minutes in bread machine. On the table in less than an hour works for me, because I have my kitchen set up for the bread machine..everythign where I need it in one spot..that helps,. If I have time I can do the KitchenAid and then let it rise then cook it in the oven. I use the bread machine to make doughs a lot..bread dough, pizza dough, etc. I will say I use the bread machine the most.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
Zojirushi works best for me. I bake weekly. Did not care for the cleanup in my mixer, using the paddle for mixing and the hook for kneading. I do not use it for baking, although I understand that the newer models are better for browning the top.
Probably not a wise investment for once in a while use, but mine gets a good workout. Have not bought any bread in over 9 years. Pizza dough is no problem.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
If you decide on a bread machine, before spending a lot of money check your local thrift stores.  I see bread machines in thrift stores often.  People buy them use them for a while, lose interest and get rid of them.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 05:19:54 PM »
I have both & recommend having both.
If I have time I use the KitchenAid for bread. If not I use the Zojirushi. Much quicker and less cleanup. Makes great bread.
For pizza dough I always use the mixer. I just can't get the same results in the bread maker for pizza dough.
Just my humble opinion.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »
I bought a bread machine many years ago and used the heck out of it. Then I got into sourdough bread making a couple of years later(I've maintained my culture for over 20 yrs.), and the machine mostly sits in the closet now. We've also had a KA for more years than the bread machine and that gets a lot of use too.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:14:12 AM »
I like making bread by hand.  I use the Joy of Baking mixing process, but I don't add the malt powder and half the yeast.  I do the 3 folds like she does but one after 20 mins, 30 mins, and 40 minutes.  After the 3rd fold i leave it ferment/rise for a couple hours (min 6 hrs from first mixing) at room temp.  You can also do this before bed and leave to do its thing and bake the bread in the morning.  When I do overnight, I use less than 1.25g of yeast.  From there it's ready to shape then proof (about an hour or so depending on finger test).  Bake at 475F on a pizza stone with a pan with water underneath until medium dark brown, or in dutch oven 25-30min covered, 15-20 uncovered.

https://www.joyofbaking.com/breads/FrenchBaguetteRecipe.html
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:39 AM »
I bought a bread machine many years ago and used the heck out of it. Then I got into sourdough bread making a couple of years later(I've maintained my culture for over 20 yrs.), and the machine mostly sits in the closet now. We've also had a KA for more years than the bread machine and that gets a lot of use too.

I've wanted to start a sourdough culture but have been nervous to attempt/keep alive
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »

I've wanted to start a sourdough culture but have been nervous to attempt/keep alive

It's really easy to do. www.kingarthurflour.com has a step-by-step tutorial on starting and maintaining sourdough culture. You can sign up on their website where there's many recipes for all types of breads, desserts etc.There's a recipe box function that you can put the in recipes you like so there's quick access to them. Cooks Illustrated also has the same feature, but I think you have to subscribe to use their website. Give it a try!

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »

I already own a KitchenAid. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never use it. It’s actually in the basement. Now that I have 3 kids that love bread I’m thinking of making homemade bread for them. I also want to start making homemade pizzas on my mak. So my first question is. Should I buy a bread maker machine ?
I recently got the "baking bug" and was making all my breads by hand.  For my birthday last week, the family got me a K/A and I love it.  Obviously a lot easier for making bread and less of a mess.  Some burger buns shown made with the K/A.  For me using the oven to bake bread is no big deal.  I also use my pizza stone to bake, besides pizza, baguettes, flat breads, cheese breads, etc. on my Charbroil Kamander.  Now thinking about a sourdough starter.  BBQ and baking is a great combination.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »

I already own a KitchenAid. I’ve had it for about 10 years and never use it. It’s actually in the basement. Now that I have 3 kids that love bread I’m thinking of making homemade bread for them. I also want to start making homemade pizzas on my mak. So my first question is. Should I buy a bread maker machine ?
I recently got the "baking bug" and was making all my breads by hand.  For my birthday last week, the family got me a K/A and I love it.  Obviously a lot easier for making bread and less of a mess.  Some burger buns shown made with the K/A.  For me using the oven to bake bread is no big deal.  I also use my pizza stone to bake, besides pizza, baguettes, flat breads, cheese breads, etc. on my Charbroil Kamander. Now thinking about a sourdough starter.  BBQ and baking is a great combination.
Try one they great.  I have been keeping a starter going for sometime and use it in my Low Carb baking adds that great flavor you just can't get from store bought bread
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

I recently got the "baking bug" and was making all my breads by hand.  For my birthday last week, the family got me a K/A and I love it.  Obviously a lot easier for making bread and less of a mess.  Some burger buns shown made with the K/A.  For me using the oven to bake bread is no big deal.  I also use my pizza stone to bake, besides pizza, baguettes, flat breads, cheese breads, etc. on my Charbroil Kamander. Now thinking about a sourdough starter.  BBQ and baking is a great combination.
Try one they great.  I have been keeping a starter going for sometime and use it in my Low Carb baking adds that great flavor you just can't get from store bought bread

Another benefit of sourdough is that it has a longer shelf life than regular bread. The raised level of lactic acid is a preservative and something else I read a long time ago has me remembering that the lactic fermentation changes the structure of the flour which also contributes to a longer shelf life. I'll have to do some research to see if I've got that second point correct.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:57:53 PM »
Sourdough is just one of those things that most folks just don't have the patience for. My routine for SF Sourdough involves 3 feedings of starter from the fridge, first overnight, then 2 feedings during the day. A Poolish is mixed and refrigerated overnight. Next day the mix goes in the Zoji with flour added until combined. Autolyse [rest] for 1 hour, add salt and continue. Sourdough requires a long rise, mine is 3 hours. Shape into loaves, then another 2 hours for a second rise.
Most folks I have given starter to did not go the distance. Might want to take a look at KA Flour "Extra Tangy Sourdough" for basics.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's