Author Topic: Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Salmonsmoker

Re: Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
Sourdough is just one of those things that most folks just don't have the patience for. My routine for SF Sourdough involves 3 feedings of starter from the fridge, first overnight, then 2 feedings during the day. A Poolish is mixed and refrigerated overnight. Next day the mix goes in the Zoji with flour added until combined. Autolyse [rest] for 1 hour, add salt and continue. Sourdough requires a long rise, mine is 3 hours. Shape into loaves, then another 2 hours for a second rise.
Most folks I have given starter to did not go the distance. Might want to take a look at KA Flour "Extra Tangy Sourdough" for basics.

Good call SS, that recipe is a hybrid that uses sourdough starter and instant yeast, and doesn't require the long rise of traditional sourdough. It's my "go to" recipe when I'm squeezed for time. It's a simple, versatile recipe that I add all sorts of stuff to. Garlic and shredded sharp cheddar cheese, raisins-chopped dried apricots and pecans, black & green olives w/rosemary, thyme and basil(my granddaughter named this one pizza bread) and is an excellent appetizer served with chopped basil and olive oil. The fun continues...

Offline Lemonhead78

Opinions breadmaker vs kitchen aid
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
My first ever attempt at baking. Used my old kitchenaid. The recipe was called Amish white bread. It was fun. I can’t wait to slice open and try it. This is fresh out of the oven. I buttered one and not the other to see what I like better. I think I have a new obsession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
Those look wonderful!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
My first ever attempt at baking. Used my old kitchenaid. The recipe was called Amish white bread. It was fun. I can’t wait to slice open and try it. This is fresh out of the oven. I buttered one and not the other to see what I like better. I think I have a new obsession.

Nice looking loafs.  I have made these too but a bit sweet for me. Makes excellent french toast if you have any leftover

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
You can just cut back by half on the sugar or add a couple of tbs for a sweet dough..you can make cinnamon rolls with it or add fruit & nuts. Use that as a basic recipe and add what you like.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
Nice job LH!

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »
Sourdough is just one of those things that most folks just don't have the patience for. My routine for SF Sourdough involves 3 feedings of starter from the fridge, first overnight, then 2 feedings during the day. A Poolish is mixed and refrigerated overnight. Next day the mix goes in the Zoji with flour added until combined. Autolyse [rest] for 1 hour, add salt and continue. Sourdough requires a long rise, mine is 3 hours. Shape into loaves, then another 2 hours for a second rise.
Most folks I have given starter to did not go the distance. Might want to take a look at KA Flour "Extra Tangy Sourdough" for basics.

Good call SS, that recipe is a hybrid that uses sourdough starter and instant yeast, and doesn't require the long rise of traditional sourdough. It's my "go to" recipe when I'm squeezed for time. It's a simple, versatile recipe that I add all sorts of stuff to. Garlic and shredded sharp cheddar cheese, raisins-chopped dried apricots and pecans, black & green olives w/rosemary, thyme and basil(my granddaughter named this one pizza bread) and is an excellent appetizer served with chopped basil and olive oil. The fun continues...

I need to make a correction in my above post. The Extra Tangy Sourdough recipe is a full-on sourdough recipe. My go-to recipe in a time crunch is the Rustic Sourdough recipe. That one's the hybrid with starter and instant yeast. Sorry for the misinformation.

Offline Roget

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »
Those do look good. :thumbup:
Baking is fun. ;D
I like making artisan bread in my Blackstone pizza oven.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
My wife and I use our KitchenAid for all of our baking, and it works great. Two newish books that feature super simple but excellent recipes are Bread Toast Crumbs by Alexandra Stafford (all or most of her recipes are no-knead), and Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish which focuses on small-batch bread and pizza dough. You wouldn't need more than a KitchenAid for either of these, and you'll be baking some of the best bread you've ever tasted.
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
Looks like you're on the right track! I can smell those from here!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
My wife and I use our KitchenAid for all of our baking, and it works great. Two newish books that feature super simple but excellent recipes are Bread Toast Crumbs by Alexandra Stafford (all or most of her recipes are no-knead), and Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish which focuses on small-batch bread and pizza dough. You wouldn't need more than a KitchenAid for either of these, and you'll be baking some of the best bread you've ever tasted.

Thanks pac man !!!!
I’ll check them both out. I love books
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker