Author Topic: Bone in dry aged rib eye  (Read 702 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Bone in dry aged rib eye
« Reply #-1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:43:59 PM »
I put a good layer of oak ridge carne Crosta rub on the steak an hour before cook. I than seared it underneath a charcoal chimney ( 2 mins per side ) than finished it on the MAK Grill at 300 degrees. It was one of the best steaks I can remember eating in a while . I highly recommend the rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pac Man

Re: Bone in dry aged rib eye
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:54 PM »
Wow. That literally made my mouth start to water.
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
How's that Meater thermometer working for you? I'm still waiting for my Meater Block to ship and don't know how excited I should be (if at all).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Wow that looks good!

I want to try that Oak Ridge Carne Crosta rub. Their Black Ops brisket rub is some of my favorite. It's interesting, they recommend against using GrillGrates with the Carne Crosta rub. It was designed for very hot direct heat grilling.

I'm also interested in your take on the Meater thermometers...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
My meater review : this is my second one because my first one failed and wouldn’t connect anymore to my phone. If it doesn’t connect it’s useless. Customer service was challenging to get a new one mailed out to me but they were new than and hopefully improved in the customer service area. The thermometer has very short range. You will need to leave a spare phone or tablet right next to grill and than pair it to your device to monitor the cook. This shortcoming will not be a problem with the meater block and I also see they came out with a new improved longer range unit. I find the internal temp to be very accurate but the ambient reading is tricky. Reason being it only sticks out of the meat by about an inch. That’s where the ambient reading comes from. The meat really influences this reading. When the meat is cold or hot it will effect the reading and also I believe there’s like a pocket of air around the meat that is not the actual temp of the grill.it gives you a good enough ball park temp but definitely not spot on . Like I said though the internal meat temp is accurate. The app you use to receive the data is really informative and easy to use. That’s my favorite part of the thermometer. It estimates cooking times and accounts for carry over and resting time. Pretty cool. Oh and I don’t know if this is a problem with all or just mine but the charger battery dies  about every 7 days . For this reason I don’t leave a battery in it anymore and the morning of a cook I want to use it I’ll put a battery in it to get it charged up.  I’m referring to the triple aaa battery in the charger. If you have any questions about the meater I’ll be glad to answer, just ask. If I could get the meater block I would. It’s definitely not perfect but I do like my meater.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the review. Sounds like they still have some learning curve work to do but it should be fun to play with in the meantime.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
What's the range on that Meater, Lemonhead?
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
I got one the first generation meater. I would say only 5 feet. You must put a spare phone or tablet nest to grill than that device can relay the signal to you inside the house . 30 ft or so. If the spare device is within the range of your houses wifi you can use the cloud and get service anywhere at that point. But the meater just by itself has terrible range like 5 ft as mentioned earlier. The meater block ( which is 4 probes ) and I don’t have that , acts as the relay device so that sounds pretty cool
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
Beautiful looking steak

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »
Beautiful looking steak

Thank you , the weird looking white spot is from a piece of lump charcoal
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
Yep, gotta love the Carne Crosta rub! That steak looks textbook perfect buddy! The under the chimney method is something I have wanted to try for awhile, but just haven’t done. That has got to change.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)